Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Wifi Extender makes SBT unreliable/unusable

I'll try to keep this concise...I'm just trying to determine if this is a known issue.

I have a Squeezebox Touch running wireless and it has been running rock-solid for *years*, connected to an LMS running on a Mac.

I added a wifi range extender near my SBT (not for my SBT, but to support other devices, like tablets, etc) and now my SBT is almost useless.

With the extender operating, my SBT can't really finish playing a single song, and if it ever does, it can't find the next song in the playlist.

It also frequently disconnects and re-connects to the LMS...and by "frequently" I mean every 10 to 60 seconds.

When I unplug the extender, my SBT goes back to being rock solid.

The extender in question is a TP-Link AC750 (RE200).

Is this a known issue? Any workarounds? Is there a "known good" extender model that plays nicely with the SBT?

From memory, my LMS is 7.9.1 and the firmware on the SBT was installed via my current LMS...version 7.8.* I think...

Thanks,
    JPEG
    Last edited by JPEG; 2018-11-07 at 11:22. Reason: Added RE200 model info

Quote Originally Posted by JPEG View Post
    When I unplug the extender, my SBT goes back to being rock solid.

The extender in question is a TP-Link AC750 (RE200).
    Referring to Chapter 3 of the extender's user guide:

1) Is the extender set to the same SSID as the SBT? If so try changing the SSID on the extender to something else so the SBT won't try to connect to it.

2) If that doesn't work, try turning off the 2.4G network on the extender so it's only extending the 5G network (assuming you have a 5G router)

Good luck,
    Kim
    ------
    Touch -> GW Labs upsampler -> TacT RCS 2.2X -> Convolver PC (Win10 + AcourateConvolver + RME HDSP-AES-32)-> (TacT S2150 -> Harbeth M40) + (TacT S2150 -> TacT W210)

Quote Originally Posted by krochat View Post
    Referring to Chapter 3 of the extender's user guide:

1) Is the extender set to the same SSID as the SBT? If so try changing the SSID on the extender to something else so the SBT won't try to connect to it.

2) If that doesn't work, try turning off the 2.4G network on the extender so it's only extending the 5G network (assuming you have a 5G router)

Good luck,
    Kim
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I think I can try #1; #2 probably won't work since I have some 2.4GHz-only devices that need to connect to the extended network.

I think I can try #1; #2 probably won't work since I have some 2.4GHz-only devices that need to connect to the extended network.
    If #1 doesn't work try #2 temporarily. If that fixes the SBT then it's 2.4G interference from the extender. Try moving the extender somewhere else. I also didn't see in the extender manual if you could change the 2.4G channel the extender is using, but if you can try that too.

Kim
    ------
    Touch -> GW Labs upsampler -> TacT RCS 2.2X -> Convolver PC (Win10 + AcourateConvolver + RME HDSP-AES-32)-> (TacT S2150 -> Harbeth M40) + (TacT S2150 -> TacT W210)

There is an ethernet port on that device isn't there?
    Have you thought about wiring the SBT to it either directly or via a small switch?
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    There is an ethernet port on that device isn't there?
    Have you thought about wiring the SBT to it either directly or via a small switch?
    Wired is always my first choice. My other SBTs are wired. This one is in a location where wiring would be difficult and unsightly.

I have currently just removed this extender from my network. I once again have a poor signal strength in some areas of my home, but this SBT work great again.
    Last edited by JPEG; 2018-11-08 at 08:47. Reason: Fix typo

Wired is always my first choice. My other SBTs are wired. This one is in a location where wiring would be difficult and unsightly.

I have currently just removed this extender from my network. I once again have a poor signal strength in some areas of my home, but this SBT work great again.
    Extender have been troublesome for some users. I have used Homeplugs to bring network to hard to reach corners but now I use mesh Wifi (router + satellite) such as Netgear Orbi.

-Did you try rebooting the Touch when the range extender was on? Maybe the problem was that it was connected to the router, then saw the extender, and wasn't sure what to do.

-If the range extender is near the Touch, can you run an ethernet cable to connect the two? I now have an Orbi (as mentioned) and it's certainly a superior approach to range extenders. Many range extenders do have lightly documented or undocumented bridge capabilities too, which take no more to trigger than to simply run a ethernet cable to something you want to use it that way for. If the range extender does have an ethernet socket, try it. Remember to reconfigure your Touch to an ethernet connection rather than a wifi one.

Also take a look at ubiquiti unify products. Using them in and out the house and all connection problems are solved.
    SqueezeBoxes: 2x SB2 (Living room and study), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Bedroom)
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, D-Link Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

Quote Originally Posted by edwin2006 View Post
    Also take a look at ubiquiti unify products. Using them in and out the house and all connection problems are solved.
    I'll second that. After years of intermittent wifi problems and poor coverage in some areas with a variety of consumer-grade routers, back in May this year I replaced my all-in-one router with a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X ($38 with a Newegg promo) and a UAP-AC-LR Long Range Access Point ($95). I now have solid coverage throughout the house and all the way out to my detached garage about fifty feet away.