Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Transporter toslink output

Does the Toslink output on the Transporter and other squeeze devices pass the D/A conversion and just provide the digital file that is being read from the server?

Transporter toslink output

On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 16:31:22 +0000, barrygordon wrote:
    >
    > Does the Toslink output on the Transporter and other squeeze devices
    > pass the D/A conversion and just provide the digital file that is being
    > read from the server?

I've used a Transporter connected to an external DAC. D/A conversion has been made by the DAC and not by the Transporter.

Cheers,

Schoepp

Quote Originally Posted by barrygordon View Post
    Does the Toslink output on the Transporter and other squeeze devices pass the D/A conversion and just provide the digital file that is being read from the server?
    If that's not the case, then the Transporter is very badly designed and I would have thought there would be lots of threads with this complaint as it would be a deal killer for many users.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch> Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Thanks for the reply. I have my Transporter connected to an Anthem AVM 60 over Toslink. I do have some DTS 7 track recordings (all my music is stored as FLAC files, but two different directories (DTS vs Stereo) I have been thinking as to whether it would be better to feed the Anthem over analog cables for the stereo and tell it to just pass through the signal. For the DTS mterial I believe I need to use the digital output to get the encoded channels decoded to all 5 or 7 channels. My problem is that the sound is not where I expect it to be quality wise. Then again i will soon be 80 years old and might just be me aging ears.

Quote Originally Posted by barrygordon View Post
    Transport outputs PCM on Toslink and trasnportr may convert file type to PCM or PCM if source was WAV. PCM is two channel.

If the file type is supported by transporter, it is transparently copied. If for example it is has a high bit rate then LMS will resample before sending to Transporter usually as Flac and then Transporter will convert Flac to PCM.

There are other threads but IIRC to send DTS and I think the file has to be encoded in Flac and sent as Flac to Transporter and Transporter Volumen set/fixed to 100%

Yes, that is what the Transporter does for DTS files which I have converted to FLAC. And yes volume has to be set to 100% so nobody tries to alter the gain. IIRC There was an option to do fixed output at 100% just not sure where it is anymore, but since the DTS files play music not white noise it must be set properly.

As background, many years ago When Slim Device was starting up, a did work with them on controlling Slim Server and the players. I have 2 Squeezebox classics, 1 Squeeze Boom, 1 Squeeze Duet, and 1 Transporter. The Transporter and the Duet is in my Home Theater. The Duet plays throughout the house and the Transporter only in the Theater. When not in the tehater I use Squeezepad on an iPad or iPend on an iPhone to control the local (room based) player.

SlimServer runs on a Win 10 always on, platform, and the music files are on an Unraid NAS. The Theater and all components are controlled by a small PC (Asrock Bee Box) which is controlled by a Philips Pronto 9800 (Via Wi-Fi) as the Human Interface. The Theater is a full Dolby Atmos configuration (7.4.1). All things in the house run on the house LAN Which is a gigabyte LAN except for the mobile devices. When playing music in the theater the Pronto has a page that fully controls the Transporter using the CLI and HTTP interfaces to Slim Server. The Theater has a screen that displays what is playing, and the 9800 can show the Server lists (e.g. Artists, Albums, Current playlist) and allow for control over them.

The Squeezebox in the Master bedroom uses the headphone output (configured for IR, IIRC) to drive a small circuit which turns on the amplifier whenever the Squeezebox is powered on. The speakers in that room are Shehenian Obelisks which I considered the best music speakers for the money when I bought the 30+ years ago. They still sound superb, but that may be my ears.

My problem is, at my age I forget things, especially when they work all the time. I just changed the Audio/Video processor (Anthem AVM 60) and did not like the sound of the transporter playing Flac stereo files. I just did a comparison between using Toslink (Anthem does DAC operations) vs. Analog (Transporter DAC does decodin) and cannot hear any difference (old ears again?. So in a very Pragmatic sense I am happy.