Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    I've uninstalled Avast, installed MSE, as Man In A Van said, restored my windows firewall, uninstalled the squeezebox software reinstalled it and it is all running properly.

I'm very puzzled by a few issues though.

How did it run perfectly, or mostly, for nearly 3 years with AVast and a windows firewall ? Why is it not running 7.7.6 anymore but instead running 7.5.6.....I am getting the bubble again saying an update is available but for the moment I don't think I'll bother thanks....but I'll do it in a few days or so now I've set this up again I have more knowledge so I know if it messes up I can put it right but I have a feeling it will be fine.

I couldn't possibly have left my firewall open all day with my hifi on so I am really pleased it seems that the new config is working and now that I have MSE I will stick to it too. MSE might not have a "bank mode" like Avast free version does but it is giving me real time protection instead, and everything is working.

Thank you to everybody for all the advice and help so far.

One other thing, is that I have installed the squeezebox software but not the Logitech Media software. Previously I used them both, but it worked using the squeezebox only so I'm leaving it alone for the moment. I would have installed both programmes but the SB programme came on as soon as I input my audio tracks into it.
    Last edited by NE5; 2018-11-15 at 13:16.

Quote Originally Posted by NE5 View Post
    I've uninstalled Avast, installed MSE, as Man In A Van said, restored my windows firewall, uninstalled the squeezebox software reinstalled it and it is all running properly.

I'm very puzzled by a few issues though.

How did it run perfectly, or mostly, for nearly 3 years with AVast and a windows firewall ? Why is it not running 7.7.6 anymore but instead running 7.5.6.....I am getting the bubble again saying an update is available but for the moment I don't think I'll bother thanks....but I'll do it in a few days or so now I've set this up again I have more knowledge so I know if it messes up I can put it right but I have a feeling it will be fine.

I couldn't possibly have left my firewall open all day with my hifi on so I am really pleased it seems that the new config is working and now that I have MSE I will stick to it too. MSE might not have a "bank mode" like Avast free version does but it is giving me real time protection instead, and everything is working.

Thank you to everybody for all the advice and help so far.

One other thing, is that I have installed the squeezebox software but not the Logitech Media software. Previously I used them both, but it worked using the squeezebox only so I'm leaving it alone for the moment. I would have installed both programmes but the SB programme came on as soon as I input my audio tracks into it.
    What do you mean you have installed Sqieezebox software not Logitech Media software? Surely you want to install LMS 7.9.2 which is the latest and greatest. That would explain why it is 7.5.6.

Edit. If you originally had Squeezebox Server and then installed Logitech Media Server then Squeezebox Server would have been replaced by LMS.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by slartibartfast; 2018-11-15 at 13:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    I have run LMS from all types of Windows OS with just the default firewall and Microsoft anti-virus without these sort of problems.

i have never had need of a static IP or anything else. Just kept it plain a simple without programs like Avast, Zone Alarm or CCC which have all caused me grief in one way or the other.
    Agreed. Currently don't have it running on any windows machine but never had to jump through any hoops when I did. Just the default stuff and it never missed a beat.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    What do you mean you have installed Sqieezebox software not Logitech Media software? Surely you want to install LMS 7.9.2 which is the latest and greatest. That would explain why it is 7.5.6.

Edit. If you originally had Squeezebox Server and then installed Logitech Media Server then Squeezebox Server would have been replaced by LMS.

maybe that is right, I initially left it alone as I was so relieved it just worked, but I've also came to a similar conclusion.

Are you saying that SB server BECAME Logitech Media Server ? I must admit, I hadn't thought of that. I thought they were 2 seperate entities performing different functions. It wasn't me who installed Squeezebox onto my computer 3 years ago. I WAS going to install the new version anyway, I looked on the logitech site for the newest version but couldn't find anything so I input the SB exe file first (and as I said it worked).
    Last edited by NE5; 2018-11-15 at 13:43.

Quote Originally Posted by NE5 View Post
    maybe that is right, I initially left it alone as I was so relieved it just worked, but I've also came to a similar conclusion.

Are you saying that SB server BECAME Logitech Media Server ? I must admit, I hadn't thought of that. I thought they were 2 seperate entities performing different functions. It wasn't me who installed Squeezebox onto my computer 3 years ago. I WAS going to install the new version anyway, I looked on the logitech site for the newest version but couldn't find anything so I input the SB exe file first (and as I said it worked).
    Exactly that. When Logitech brought out the Revue which streamed Audio and Video they changed the name to Logitech Media Server. You can find the latest version here.

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.9

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Exactly that. When Logitech brought out the Revue which streamed Audio and Video they changed the name to Logitech Media Server. You can find the latest version here.

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.9

As referenced in post #15

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post924839

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Absolutely.

sorry....missed that among all this info......I've updated it to 7.9.2 now and everything seems fine. The only difference is the screen is slightly different, and I am still getting the balloon saying an update is available, and an option to update it in the properties box ?

The firmware 2 weeks ago was nr 137, yesterday it was 134, today since the update it is now 137 again.

It is def 7.9.2 but I'm not going to touch it again for now if there really is an update it can wait.
    Last edited by NE5; Yesterday at 06:08.