Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Cannot synchronise Radio playback: audio stops when synchronise

I have been running LMS for many years, currently with LMS on NAS, with no issues.
    Playing from my music collections works fine and synchronised playing works fine.
    Current version is: Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1504317335 @ Mon Sep 4 22:13:00 UTC 2017

Issue: Everything was working fine however I now have an issue with Synchronising (I think only with certain e.g. BBC) radio stations (is that possible or is the particular station a red herring?).
    Issue Symptoms: I try to synchronise radio, all devices show it IS playing as normal with seconds counting up through the track however, the sound output stops as soon as I click synchronise.
    I have reviewed setup and incl. factory reset a device and restarted LMS and checked logs and nothing hints at the reason.

Whilst I am technically aware I don't understand enough about the workings to trouble-shoot further.

Is there something obvious I am missing? Any hints welcome!

What type of players are you trying to synchronise ?
    Can the "offending" station play on each player without sync ?

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    What type of players are you trying to synchronise ?
    Can the "offending" station play on each player without sync ?
    HI - thanks for your interest.

Players: Squeezebox Touch and Squeezebox Boom
    Yes both can play independently. As soon as I click synchronise they go silent.

Edit....your question made me think..perhaps it is player dependant so I tried syncing with a soft player (Android SB Player) and the results are interesting:
    1. Pass: play radio station on all 3 devices individually
    2. Pass: Sync Boom with SB Player
    3. Fail: Un-sync test 2 and Sync SB Player with Touch

So it would appear it may be a device specific issue.
    When it happens it messes with both devices. i.e. for test 3 above (after it had failed and after de-syncing) I needed to re-select the station on the SB Player and then press play to get it working again.
    Last edited by cristom; 2018-11-06 at 11:58.

Quote Originally Posted by cristom View Post
    HI - thanks for your interest.
    Players: Squeezebox Touch and Squeezebox Boom
    Yes both can play independently. As soon as I click synchronise they go silent.
    BBC uses AAC which requires transcoding for Boom and not for Touch.
    Do you sync players before starting to play a stream or after ? If after which player is playing first ?

edit:

Are you using BBC App for MP3 stream or BBCiPlayer which plays AAC streams ?

I have iPlayer installed and configured but I have not used it. I just tried selecting a station through that app with the following result: There was an error loading the remote feed for : (404 Not Found)
    To play radio I just go to native radio menu (on android remote or server interface), vi national stations menu to BBC
    Perhaps native feeds have changed (?) as it does appear to be connected with the Touch only - but only on sync. (I have tried syncing both ways Boom first and Touch first and result is the same by the way)

Edit:
    Is the native app Tunein? That name appears on some screens (and following the domain in the URL below Radiotime.com is Tunein)
    I saved the station to favourites previously to ensure continuity for testing.
    The information and URL being shown in LMS browser is as follows:
    Title:BBC Radio 2 (London)
    URL: //opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s24940&formats=aac,ogg,mp3,wmpro,wma, wmvoice&partnerId=16&serial=cd73ce8da09fcc23ca9e8c 9d354d3c75
    Bitrate:128 kbps
    Last edited by cristom; 2018-11-06 at 12:39.

I have iPlayer installed and configured but I have not used it. I just tried selecting a station through that app with the following result: There was an error loading the remote feed for : (404 Not Found)
    To play radio I just go to native radio menu (on android remote or server interface), vi national stations menu to BBC
    Perhaps native feeds have changed (?) as it does appear to be connected with the Touch only - but only on sync. (I have tried syncing both ways Boom first and Touch first and result is the same by the way)
    Unless you installed a repository URL for latest version 1.6 - all other version of the BBCiplayer areout of date.
    Edit:
    Is the native app Tunein? That name appears on some screens (and following the domain in the URL below Radiotime.com is Tunein)
    I saved the station to favourites previously to ensure continuity for testing.
    The information and URL being shown in LMS browser is as follows:
    Title:BBC Radio 2 (London)
    URL: //opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s24940&formats=aac,ogg,mp3,wmpro,wma, wmvoice&partnerId=16&serial=cd73ce8da09fcc23ca9e8c 9d354d3c75
    Bitrate:128 kbps
    Tune-in finds the BBC MP3 streams which play natively in both player and so should sycn as well as other nortmal MP3 radio streams.

Sync with radio is not the same as sync with albums. IIRC sync may not be wholly accurate as time goes along as "live" streams cannot be resynced between players.
    If you sync a player which is playing a direct stream (i.e. one which player can play natively e.g. MP3,WMA, AAC for Touch) with another player - you will have to restart as initially a direct stream will be playing direct from station to Radio wherea with syncing - streaming has to be routed through LMS.

Hi... So I feel slightly more educated about radio synching but still can't get it to work.
    Based on your information (AAC on Touch) it makes sense, but you also stated with Tunein it only uses mp3..... So why will no other player sync with the Touch for the BBC? It used to work. What can have changed? Any other ideas?

Edit: I have just installed your latest iPlayer and that seems to work fine (yay!)...
    I still don't understand why the LMS standard radio won't work though.
    Last edited by cristom; 2018-11-07 at 04:59.

Hi... So I feel slightly more educated about radio synching but still can't get it to work.
    Based on your information (AAC on Touch) it makes sense, but you also stated with Tunein it only uses mp3..... So why will no other player sync with the Touch for the BBC? It used to work. What can have changed? Any other ideas?

Edit: I have just installed your latest iPlayer and that seems to work fine (yay!)...
    Good
    I still don't understand why the LMS standard radio won't work though.
    Especially as I understand it - it used to work.

Have you changed any LMS setting such as in FileTypes ?
    Have you anything "odd" or special in your network such as VPNs ?
    Are you sure the players are connected to LMS and not connected to mysqueezebox.com ?

I tested a MP3 stream with a SB receiver (audio playing capabilities are similar to Boom) and a Radio and sync worked OK - all I can assume it is somethign in your setup.
    I'll try to test your BBC url later.