Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

uPNP for a complete novice

Until now I have been running LMS on my Mac, streaming music files to a Raspberry Pi with Squeezepad as the controller on my IPad. Just bought a new amp that features uPNP streaming. So do I need the Raspberry ?
    My understanding ( which may be utterly wrong) is that LMS can act as a uPNP server and the amp should connect.
    However, if I select the uPNP input option on the amp, it finds my router but on the next sub menu, displays directories that have nothing to do with my Mac (options are Music, Pictures, Documents and Browse Folders). None of these directories are openable.
    So, where do I start to try and explore the uPNP option ? There is a plugin ticked on the LMS settings for uPNP / DLNA. Is there something else I am supposed to do ? Does LMS need some sort of uPNP programme to act as a bridge ?
    Some direction would be welcome as I clearly haven’t a clue .. . .

What sort of amp is it - make & model no?
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    What sort of amp is it - make & model no?
    Lyngdorf tdai 3400

I see it’s Airplay enabled. If your music collection is MP3 or FLAC upto 16/44 then you may well find that Phillipe’s Airplay plugin will give you a much better user experience than upnp/dlna.

Upnp is a very poor protocol with little real standards applied.

If you really want to try it then you need to enable Andy Gruddman’s plugin. Upnp/dlna media interface

Your amp will then see LMS as a media server and will be able to browse and play the files but if you are used to using LMS you’ll hate the lack of playlist management.

Alternatively Phillipe has also developed a upnp bridge which can turn your amp into a native squeeze player but because the protocol is all over the place it’s really difficult to get working at an optimum level.

If the Airplay implementation is Airplay 1 then the air bridge plugin is your best bet
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I see it’s Airplay enabled. If your music collection is MP3 or FLAC upto 16/44 then you may well find that Phillipe’s Airplay plugin will give you a much better user experience than upnp/dlna.

Upnp is a very poor protocol with little real standards applied.

If you really want to try it then you need to enable Andy Gruddman’s plugin. Upnp/dlna media interface

Your amp will then see LMS as a media server and will be able to browse and play the files but if you are used to using LMS you’ll hate the lack of playlist management.

Alternatively Phillipe has also developed a upnp bridge which can turn your amp into a native squeeze player but because the protocol is all over the place it’s really difficult to get working at an optimum level.

If the Airplay implementation is Airplay 1 then the air bridge plugin is your best bet
    Thanks.
    Music library is FLAC but with a handful of 24/48 and 24/96 files (I dont see any point in better than CD standard really).
    How do I ‘enable’ those options ? I can only see one entry in the Plugins section for Andy Gruddman’s interface. Nothing about Phillipes. I have Andys option ticked and in the ‘active’ section.

By the way, I think the directories I am seeing (I get just the same thing via my Oppo blu ray player) must be part of the router structure (TPLink). Looks like I am not being able to get past the router itself. Does this mean there is a port I need to open somewhere. As you know, I can access LMS through IP:9000.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by liffy99 View Post
    Thanks.
    Music library is FLAC but with a handful of 24/48 and 24/96 files (I dont see any point in better than CD standard really).
    How do I ‘enable’ those options ? I can only see one entry in the Plugins section for Andy Gruddman’s interface. Nothing about Phillipes. I have Andys option ticked and in the ‘active’ section.

By the way, I think the directories I am seeing (I get just the same thing via my Oppo blu ray player) must be part of the router structure (TPLink). Looks like I am not being able to get past the router itself. Does this mean there is a port I need to open somewhere. As you know, I can access LMS through IP:9000.

Cheers
    Look in 3rd Party software for Phillipe’s AirPlay plug-in - Post 1 will tell you how to install etc Airplay is limited to 16/44 but LMS will transcode your 24 bit stuff to it.

If you have Andy Grundman’s plug-in enabled have you restarted LMS? Also check firewall settings on your Mac. I don’t use a Mac on a regular basis so can’t be more specific than that. It needs to be discoverable over the network
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

Is the amp wired or wireless. If latter is the router set to hide wireless devices from one another?
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

uPNP for a complete novice

I can absolutely recommend Philippe’s plugin UPnPbridge. It handles my AVR really well and without issues after yes a little bit initial fiddling to set it up.
    But I agree with d6, if you’re fine with 44/16, just go with AirPlay.

With any of those you can use your own Squeezebox controllers to send playlists etc to the Receiver
    Last edited by Ge Ba; 2018-11-07 at 16:39.
    Server: LMS 7.9.2 - 0011.1527861596 on Synology DS216Play. SOX mansr ARMv7 & C-3PO.
    Players: SB Radio, RPi 3B+, 7’’ Touch, pCP @Marshall Acton. Multiroom HiFi: Denon AVR-X4000, AVM M30 @Nubert NuLine/NuVero 5.1+2