Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Browser-based player

Is there a browser-based player for LMS - perhaps through one of the 3rd-party skins?
    By that I mean that you can listen to stuff via the browser - and, ideally, without installing additional helper applications in the browser.
    LMS could transcode to a format support by lots of browsers - such as audio/mpeg via HTML5
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Is there a browser-based player for LMS - perhaps through one of the 3rd-party skins?
    By that I mean that you can listen to stuff via the browser - and, ideally, without installing additional helper applications in the browser.
    LMS could transcode to a format support by lots of browsers - such as audio/mpeg via HTML5
    The obvoius one is simply to use http://<lmshost>:9000/stream.mp3 but there are issues with buffering.

As an experiment, a while ago I re-wrote squeezelite slimproto handler in JS (which is hosted by an LMS web page) but trying to get it work with a browser routing 3483 traffic thro websockets got very messy.

There isn't one to my knowledge but you could run a background Squeezelite on the PC and control it from the standard web gui (or the new material skin) which achieves the same aim
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    There isn't one to my knowledge but you could run a background Squeezelite on the PC and control it from the standard web gui (or the new material skin) which achieves the same aim
    I think the use case is for a system where is no Squeezelite executable immediately available or where the user is not allowed or cannot install an executable (e.g. Chromebook)

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    I think the use case is for a system where is no Squeezelite executable immediately available or where the user is not allowed or cannot install an executable (e.g. Chromebook)
    I hadn't appreciated that from the original post.
    If that is the case then my solution would be a portable player e.g. Mobile phone or Raspberry Pi running simply as a player (something you can carry in your pocket) and then control via standard web browser but I suppose that also assumes you can add it to the network at will which may or may not be the case.
    That said if we are talking about a controlled work network then how is the connection to LMS presumably at home being made ?
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I hadn't appreciated that from the original post.
    If that is the case then my solution would be a portable player e.g. Mobile phone or Raspberry Pi running simply as a player (something you can carry in your pocket) and then control via standard web browser but I suppose that also assumes you can add it to the network at will which may or may not be the case.
    That said if we are talking about a controlled work network then how is the connection to LMS presumably at home being made ?
    Not sure what restriction are faced by the OP - I assumed no additional hardware - just a HTML5 compatible browser on unknown h/w but everything else is possible.

Was academic interest rather than for a specific deployment - field of dreams style.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin