Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

3party speakers sync music? - Experiences with Denon HEOS, Teufel One M or others?

Hi,

can anyone say which 3party speakers can sync music via LogitechMediaServer 7.9.2 in multiple rooms?

Teufel (Raumfeld) support denies, that it would be possible with Teufel One M. Denon Heos 5 is a great speaker but the one I tried last summer seemed to be broken, so I brought it back.

I know that there is the UPnP/DLNA bridge Plugin and so exist the possibility to play music via 3party speakers. But what's about synced music?

Thanks a lot

Hi,

I can recommend native AIRPLAY speakers, they can easily be integrated using the airplay bridge plugin. They can be grouped and stay in sync.
    I am using speakers from Libratone with success.

Quote Originally Posted by hellweg116 View Post
    Hi,

can anyone say which 3party speakers can sync music via LogitechMediaServer 7.9.2 in multiple rooms?

Teufel (Raumfeld) support denies, that it would be possible with Teufel One M. Denon Heos 5 is a great speaker but the one I tried last summer seemed to be broken, so I brought it back.

I know that there is the UPnP/DLNA bridge Plugin and so exist the possibility to play music via 3party speakers. But what's about synced music?

Thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by woodster View Post
    Hi,

I can recommend native AIRPLAY speakers, they can easily be integrated using the airplay bridge plugin. They can be grouped and stay in sync.
    I am using speakers from Libratone with success.
    Be careful with airplay 2 speakers - they aren't compatible with the airplay bridge. A recent Libratone update has messed up my Zipp speaker!
    LMS server: Pi Zero

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Home Mini, Pioneer WX-SMA1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler

Brexit = ∞ stupidity

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Thanks a lot
    Raumfeld speakers used to be ChromeCast endpoints, so using Castbridge (https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...(squeeze2cast)) they probably worked. The new series however doesn't have this functionality anymore. I'd advise against UPnP/DLNA as it's not really a good protocol
    A couple of options for you:
    • Raspberry Pi with PcP + a DAC HAT (allo Boss or similar) + active speakers
    • Raspberry Pi with PcP + an amp HAT (HiFiBerry Amp+ or similar) + passive speakers (Teufel Ultima 20 are a very good affordable choice)
    • ChromeCast Audio + active speakers with Toslink input
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

I like the riva line, especially the Arena does UPnP, AirPlay, Chromecast, BT and sound and looks good. They're current on sale, a good bargain https://rivaaudio.com/
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    Be careful with airplay 2 speakers - they aren't compatible with the airplay bridge. A recent Libratone update has messed up my Zipp speaker!
    Thank you very much for your answers - great help woodster, castalla, bakker_be, philippe_44!

I would always prefere the Denon Heos 5. The german test reports are excellent, one device sounds very fine, another one and you can get stereo. BUT: I couldn't sync the music, the Heos 5 played always solo. And maybe I made the same experience like castalla. A firmware update and you have a fundamental changed device. You can find such stories for other network speakers.

So at this moment I would say: there is no third party wlan/lan speaker you can make work via LogitechMediaServer and be sure to use it for a longer period.

Thank you very much for your answers - great help woodster, castalla, bakker_be, philippe_44!

I would always prefere the Denon Heos 5. The german test reports are excellent, one device sounds very fine, another one and you can get stereo. BUT: I couldn't sync the music, the Heos 5 played always solo. And maybe I made the same experience like castalla. A firmware update and you have a fundamental changed device. You can find such stories for other network speakers.

So at this moment I would say: there is no third party wlan/lan speaker you can make work via LogitechMediaServer and be sure to use it for a longer period.
    This is actually the reason why I dislike all so-called "Smart" devices for audio & video. At a certain point of time they'll get obsolete, be it because of changing codec standards or connectivity protocols, or just plain simple an outdated OS, and you'll need to buy the whole thing all over again,whereas with separating the actual playback (amp + speakers in this case, screen hardware for video) and the "smart" part, you only need to update the that last part. That way I can still use e.g. my last generation Pioneer Kuro 50" plasma, which still has stellar image quality.
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

Fortunately the Zipp has upnp so still works ... this airplay2 update is a pain as it just ties users in even more to the apple system.
    LMS server: Pi Zero

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Home Mini, Pioneer WX-SMA1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler

Brexit = ∞ stupidity

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by bakker_be View Post
    ... I'd advise against UPnP/DLNA as it's not really a good protocol
    A couple of options for you:
    • Raspberry Pi with PcP + a DAC HAT (allo Boss or similar) + active speakers
    • Raspberry Pi with PcP + an amp HAT (HiFiBerry Amp+ or similar) + passive speakers (Teufel Ultima 20 are a very good affordable choice)
    • ChromeCast Audio + active speakers with Toslink input
    Beyond the idea of a fine 3rd party network speaker - it seems to me a deadlock without open source - there was bakker_be's option list.

Raspberry Pi with piCorePlayer - ok. But what is HiFiBerry Amp+ with its special need for a stronger power supply? --> It gives you a wide range of passive speakers which got the sound by the special amp hat on the Raspberry Pi, speakers like Teufel Ultima 20, Dali Zensor 1 or Nubert nuLine 24. And: this can be used fully featured via LogitechMediaServer . It is worth a try.