Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 610 of 705 FirstFirst ... 110510560600608609610611612620660 ... LastLast
Results 6,091 to 6,100 of 7050
    Quote Originally Posted by cpd73 View Post
    As stated, I see this multi-artist string in older Material releases - so I dont think there is any change.
    I have never seen a change -- have always seen multiple artists for tracks tagged that way (Track artists -- I don't ever use multiple Album artists).
    Last edited by bwaldron; 2021-01-08 at 09:25.

Quote Originally Posted by gnackwatschn View Post
    Thank you for your fast reply, yes you got it right.

I could not dig into this deep enough, to give you a reliable answer, if it has other impacts.

I use the default skin called "Standard" (in german) which allows manipulating the volume slider and I could not recognize any disadvantages beside of having a useless volume slider which could potentially confuse some users. But as I wrote before: I did not dive into this very deeply, as I am not an LMS developer and there is the possibility, that there is still a "special case" and something happening under the hood.
    Under normal usage, when the player volume is fixed, showing "Fixed" and disabling volume controls in material is correct. I imagine for most users, including myself, this would be the desired behavior. So Craig, for alternative usage may I suggest an option: (yes, yet another option,) added to material's settings menu, to the effect "Volume controls: ignore player's fixed volume setting, if set." Would this work for everybody?
    Living Room: SB Touch + DIY PSU > CI Audio VDA.2 DAC + VAC.1 PSU > VRX.1 cables > Emotiva XSP-1 Gen 2 preamp + XPA-DR2 amp > Blue Jeans cables > B&W 804 speakers
    Laptop: System76 Galago + Ubuntu 16.04 + Squeezelite + Vivaldi/Material Skin > Emotiva Little Ego DAC > Grado PS500 headphones
    Bedroom: RPi Zero W + Squeezelite > miniBOSS DAC HAT > Bose SoundLink Revolve
    Phone: Pixel 3a + SB Player + Material APK > Senn IE80 earbuds
    Server: Puget Systems Serenity + Ubuntu 18.04 + LMS 8.2

Quote Originally Posted by Ron F. View Post
    Under normal usage, when the player volume is fixed, showing "Fixed" and disabling volume controls in material is correct. I imagine for most users, including myself, this would be the desired behavior. So Craig, for alternative usage may I suggest an option: (yes, yet another option,) added to material's settings menu, to the effect "Volume controls: ignore player's fixed volume setting, if set." Would this work for everybody?
    Wouldn't this just overcomplicate matters? Is there really a case for adding another "settings" option that doesn't fundamentally change what already happens — i.e.

If the player volume is fixed, altering the setting only has an effect if, as in gnackwatschn's set up, there's a plugin that recognizes volume changes and which passes them on to some hardware. In all other cases, altering the volume setting is just ignored.

Actually, it could be incorporated in the current player "Volume Control" option with a change of wording to the existing options — eg,

• "Player output fixed at 100%, but control changes passed through" (or whatever wording makes best sense to users)
    • "Volume control adjusts player output directly"
    Duet x 3, via various hi-fi. LMS on Raspberry Pi OS (Debian 10) on a Pi4.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderJon View Post
    Wouldn't this just overcomplicate matters? Is there really a case for adding another "settings" option that doesn't fundamentally change what already happens
    I'm on the fence. I'm happy to remove the 'Fixed volume' label, etc. I have just updated git/master (for 2.2.0) to add a server-side setting for this. But, I'm leaning towards removing this. Just noticed the 'Manage players' dialog ignores this fixed volume anyway...
    Material debug: 1. Launch via http: //SERVER:9000/material/?debug=json (Use http: //SERVER:9000/material/?debug=json,cometd to also see update messages, e.g. play queue) 2. Open browser's developer tools 3. Open console tab in developer tools 4. REQ/RESP messages sent to/from LMS will be logged here.

Wouldn't this just overcomplicate matters? Is there really a case for adding another "settings" option that doesn't fundamentally change what already happens — i.e.

If the player volume is fixed, altering the setting only has an effect if, as in gnackwatschn's set up, there's a plugin that recognizes volume changes and which passes them on to some hardware. In all other cases, altering the volume setting is just ignored.

Actually, it could be incorporated in the current player "Volume Control" option with a change of wording to the existing options — eg,

• "Player output fixed at 100%, but control changes passed through" (or whatever wording makes best sense to users)
    • "Volume control adjusts player output directly"
    I like your suggestion to incorporate into the current player "Volume Control" option, your change of wording to the existing options; it would make it very clear what is going on.
    Living Room: SB Touch + DIY PSU > CI Audio VDA.2 DAC + VAC.1 PSU > VRX.1 cables > Emotiva XSP-1 Gen 2 preamp + XPA-DR2 amp > Blue Jeans cables > B&W 804 speakers
    Laptop: System76 Galago + Ubuntu 16.04 + Squeezelite + Vivaldi/Material Skin > Emotiva Little Ego DAC > Grado PS500 headphones
    Bedroom: RPi Zero W + Squeezelite > miniBOSS DAC HAT > Bose SoundLink Revolve
    Phone: Pixel 3a + SB Player + Material APK > Senn IE80 earbuds
    Server: Puget Systems Serenity + Ubuntu 18.04 + LMS 8.2

I'm on the fence. I'm happy to remove the 'Fixed volume' label, etc. I have just updated git/master (for 2.2.0) to add a server-side setting for this. But, I'm leaning towards removing this. Just noticed the 'Manage players' dialog ignores this fixed volume anyway...
    Thanks to all of you for considering a solution to this issue. I am not a programmer and am not at all familiar with how LMS deals with the volume buttons or slider, but I just opened a "debugging" tab with the material skin and took a look at the developer console to see what was going on behind the scenes on my setup. For a player that is set to 100% volume, I see the following console output when the "decrease volume" button is pushed in the material skin:

Code:
    [12:51:04 PM] COMETED PLAYERPREFS (dc:a6:32:69:xx:xx): ["prefset","server","volume","95"]
    This also causes my receiver volume (through the DenonSerial plugin) to jump to a "95%" level. When I push the "increase volume" button in the material skin, the equivalent message in the console shows a volume of "100", and the receiver volume goes to a "100%" level. In other words, these buttons send an absolute value, not an incremental value, every time they are pushed.

If I do the same thing from a browser looking at the default skin, with everything else exactly the same, pushing the "decrease volume" button causes the volume level in the console to increment down by 2. The volume increments down by 2 every time the button is clicked and increments up by 2 every time the "increase volume" button is pushed. Clicking within the slider causes the corresponding volume level to be sent in the console message. I see similar behavior from the Squeeze Ctrl app when the volume down and up buttons are pushed for this player. (For the Squeeze Ctrl app, there is a preference setting called "Fixed Volume Send Command" that tells the app to continue sending volume commands even with Fixed Volume).

I haven't fully understood all of your proposed solutions to address this problem in the material skin, but I want to make sure you're not overthinking this. I think that all we really need is for the "decrease volume" and "increase volume" buttons to continue to work the way they would if they didn't think the volume should be 100%. If the slider also continued to work in this situation (i.e., that it would sends an appropriate absolute volume level to the server/receiver), it would be great--but not absolutely necessary. I also hope that the system would remember what the previous volume setting for the player was, just so we wouldn't need to reset it every time the player is turned off and on.

I hope this clarifies the situation (from my perspective, at least). I'm hoping this doesn't need to be too complicated.

Thanks again for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by DAR View Post
    I haven't fully understood all of your proposed solutions to address this problem in the material skin, but I want to make sure you're not overthinking this.
    The dev version sends +/- the defined volume increment when using the up/down vol buttons when a player has fixed volume. This is also extended by a server-side Material setting that will cause Material to 'ignore' the fixed volume state. When that is set, the volume for fixed volume players will be controlled as if they are not fixed volume - so the slider will be active, and the up/down buttons will set a volume relative to the current (as shown in the slider) volume. So, if vol=80% and increment=5%, then down will set volume to 75%

However, I'm not sure if this is really required. Or if Material should just ignore fixed volume?
    Material debug: 1. Launch via http: //SERVER:9000/material/?debug=json (Use http: //SERVER:9000/material/?debug=json,cometd to also see update messages, e.g. play queue) 2. Open browser's developer tools 3. Open console tab in developer tools 4. REQ/RESP messages sent to/from LMS will be logged here.

However, I'm not sure if this is really required. Or if Material should just ignore fixed volume?
    Please don't have MS ignore fixed volume completely.

The existing way it functions, whilst arguably 'illogical' (in that the volume control still "works", at least for hardware interfaced by a plugin), actually seems to be do exactly what everyone wants, so far as I understand things.
    Duet x 3, via various hi-fi. LMS on Raspberry Pi OS (Debian 10) on a Pi4.

Please don't have MS ignore fixed volume completely.

The existing way it functions, whilst arguably 'illogical' (in that the volume control still "works", at least for hardware interfaced by a plugin), actually seems to be do exactly what everyone wants, so far as I understand things.
    If material skin ignores fixed volume it will be acting like the default skin so it wouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

The dev version sends +/- the defined volume increment when using the up/down vol buttons when a player has fixed volume. This is also extended by a server-side Material setting that will cause Material to 'ignore' the fixed volume state. When that is set, the volume for fixed volume players will be controlled as if they are not fixed volume - so the slider will be active, and the up/down buttons will set a volume relative to the current (as shown in the slider) volume. So, if vol=80% and increment=5%, then down will set volume to 75%
    I'm happy to test but am not sure how to install the dev version. I tried editing my install.xml to switch "2.1.3" with "DEVELOPMENT-TIME" and restarting LMS, but the plugin files don't seem to have updated. Should this occur automatically, or do I need to synchronize the files manually?