Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Glad I could help out...
    Cheers

Display off

So, the waveshare b Display (the usb one) is running. If i push the on off button on the screen, the Display is off but the backlight is on. Is it possible to switch the backlight with the touchscreen off?. On the back of the screen is a switch, but this is not available if the screen is installed. Thanks a lot
    Odroid U3, Raspberry 1-3, 2*Touch, 4*Radio, Ipeng, Squeezecontrol aso.

Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by andjo View Post
    Great & thanks for your responses.
    Meanwhile I got the usb version of the monitor an adopted the pdf. I also copied the long codes into text boxes - so copy & paste should now work correctly.
    Cheers
    Attachment 26045
    Thank for the excellent guide.

I am now working to turn the screen backlight off when the player is stopped.

Waveshare has a very good document for controlling the backlight. https://www.waveshare.com/w/upload/5...ght_manual.pdf

(Some soldering required)
    Simple script

gpio -g pwm 18 1024
    gpio -g mode 18 pwm #set the pin as PWM
    gpio pwmc 1000
    gpio -g pwm 18 X #change the brightness, X ranges 0~1024

I have a GPIO 18 conflict with the HIfiberry but I am just looking for on/off.

gpio -g mode 23 out
    gpio -g write 23 1
    gpio -g write 23 0

No need for a script to turn the display on/off.
    I just set Squeezelite Settings - Power On/Off GPIO to "23" and Active Low.

Works like a charm.
    Last edited by nogauss; 2019-03-17 at 07:30.

Quote Originally Posted by nogauss View Post
    Works like a charm.
    Great info;

I have GPIO 18 free and would like to try screen dimming, does PCP or Jivelite have options for setting screen brightness using PWM?

Or would it be a case of making/modifying the software? I have the Rev C 7" screen and think I would like brightness control

We only include dimming/off support for the rpi display. I'm sure you could write an applet to do it though.

https://github.com/ralph-irving/tcz-jivelite

The DisplayOff and piCorePlayer applets cover it.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Meanwhile I got the usb version of the monitor an adopted the pdf. I also copied the long codes into text boxes - so copy & paste should now work correctly.
    Cheers
    Attachment 26045
    This manual deserves a prominent place. For me, it was a great help in finding out how to calibrate my touchscreen.
    I used a Waveshare 4.3 inch capacitive touchscreen, which is different from the example in the manual. To make it work, I left out the part where you put "dtoverlay=ads7846,cs=1,penirq=25,penirq_pull=2,sp eed=50000,keep_vref_on=0,swapxy=0,pmax=255,xohms=1 50,xmin=200,xmax=3900,ymin=200,ymax=3900" in the config.txt file.

Also, step 10 of the manual refers to line 707 in the pcp_startup.sh file, where in my case, I found this on another line.

I now have a perfecly working touchscreen.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    We only include dimming/off support for the rpi display. I'm sure you could write an applet to do it though.

https://github.com/ralph-irving/tcz-jivelite

The DisplayOff and piCorePlayer applets cover it.
    Thanks, looks like it may be possible then. Right now I'm still sorting the hardware out in order to get my screen brightness control to work, and once that is done, I'll see if I can do brightness control from Jivelite.

I've finally managed to get screen dimming using a PWM GPIO in on my Pi, works great with a few modifications in the Lua files.

Just a quick question about what changes I've made, I did find this in the DisplayOffApplet.lua:

Code:
    -- enable backlight on on a timer because the first revision of the official Pi display
    -- isn't fast enough to handle backlight on directly/has a hardware bug/something else?
    local timerOn = Timer(600,
    I'm guessing the 600 here is 600 millisecond delay? If so, I've changed it to 6ms in my modificatons and so far it seems to be working OK. I've not used LUA before however, so I don't really know how to completely remove the timer without breaking something.

After changes the screen does turn on and off much quicker when the player is turned on and off, but I was wondering if this will cause any issues doing it this was as it does seem a little hacky!

The only changes I did other than that was changing the paths to the files in /sys/class, and the brightness range values now range from 0-255 to 0-100 and so far it seems to be working great.

Great work!

Yes the Timer is milliseconds.

From /opt/jivelite/share/jive/jive/ui/Timer.lua

Code:
    jive.ui.Timer(interval, closure, once)

Constructs a new timer. The I<closure> is called every I<interval> milliseconds. If <once> is true then the closure is only called once each time the timer is started.

The I<closure> is called with a single argument, the Timer object.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Cheers
    Attachment 26045
    Wonderful guide thx.
    Last edited by onkal; 2019-08-06 at 13:24.