Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nico View Post
    I have found something new which is making me thing it's the player side (SoftSqueeze). I wrote a program to capture the raw bitmap data coming from LMS to SoftSqueeze (slim protocol "grfe" command) and render it into a graphical image. My thinking was if the bitmap from the server looks messed up the same as the player, then LMS is the cause. Else if the bitmap from LMS is clean, it points to the player.

The results indicate all the raw display bitmap data being sent from LMS is completely clean, for every available display font.
    Since you have the problem across the whole display - then it does seem like a player problem.

Strange that it seem to be local to OSX / Java problem - I don't think there are many OSX specific parts to SoftSqueeze code.

This may be nothing. There was a LMS change a few years ago - LMS used to emulate scrolling text and then send bitmaps. Because of loading etc - LMS was changed to send scroll commands and players had to scroll display - Softsqueeze was never updated although this player scrolling functionality was supposed to be implemented - at a guess it may not have been severely tested. That said - it works OK on a Ubuntu running Softsqueeze.

Help debugging weird font/display issue

I've experienced the same for a while now. I decided to use Squeezeplay
    for my testing instead...

This certainly is a player software side problem, as the server side is
    mostly shared with SB Classic/Boom/Transporter and has not changed in
    many years. I was wondering whether it had to do with the introduction
    of Retina support in macOS. But then why would it be the display part
    only?... I don't know.

For me SoftSqueeze never was as reliable as Squeezeplay. In particular
    the playback itself wasn't. That's why I gave up quickly.

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Strange that it seem to be local to OSX / Java problem - I don't think there are many OSX specific parts to SoftSqueeze code.
    I'm reading the source code now. The classes that emulate the Squeezebox hardware displays seem to be where the good stuff is:

Code:
    org.titmuss.softsqueeze.display.LcdDisplay
    org.titmuss.softsqueeze.display.Screen
    org.titmuss.softsqueeze.display.Frame
    etc
    It's all based on the Java Abstract Window Toolkit (AWT) to do the app graphics. E.g. java.awt.Graphics, java.awt.Graphics2D, etc.

That said - it works OK on a Ubuntu running Softsqueeze.
    This is good to know. This problem has been bugging me for so many years. I will focus on the player side.

I've found it impossible to install any JVMs older than 1.6 on my Mac

So what I am going to try going forward are:
    1. Try installing some newer JVMs using Homebrew, and trying with those (could have been an AWT bug in 1.6)
    2. Try actually building the app from source, on my Mac so it binds with the native Java AWT libs
    3. If none of that works, accept defeat Try Squeezeplay again...

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    I've experienced the same for a while now. I decided to use Squeezeplay
    for my testing instead...
    [...]
    For me SoftSqueeze never was as reliable as Squeezeplay. In particular
    the playback itself wasn't. That's why I gave up quickly.
    Interesting. It has to be an AWT problem. I always had good results with SoftSqueeze. I really like the effort put into the GUI & skins, it works like a charm over SSH tunnelling, the audio was fine (for laptop hw playback). That's why I am still battling

Interesting. It has to be an AWT problem. I always had good results with SoftSqueeze. I really like the effort put into the GUI & skins, it works like a charm over SSH tunnelling, the audio was fine (for laptop hw playback). That's why I am still battling
    Where did you get your build ?
    My build of Softsqueeze is very old 3b1 - perhaps the libraries in the jar are different to the ones you use.

Since the problem seems to affect small fonts (although I think the narrow bits of the large fonts in post#1 are also affected) - probably where text is only a few pixels wide - could some sort of dithering in Graphics lib have been used accidentally (e.g a change in default options) .

edit:

Found a 3.9b2 on sourceforge built 2011 - works OK no problem with display running with openjdk 10 64 bit on Ubuntu 18.04
    Last edited by bpa; 2018-10-14 at 04:59.

I tried SqueezePlay today.
    Can't get it working via ssh tunnelling (my laptop is remote from LMS).
    Same issue as "Problems-getting-squeezeplay-to-work-remotely-over-ssh"
    SqueezePlay apparently requires UDP port 3483 forwarding, as well as TCP 9000 & 3483.
    Pity - it looks really nice otherwise.
    Last edited by nico; 2018-10-14 at 05:53.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Where did you get your build ?
    Can't remember now, so long ago! I install from softsqueeze_macos_3_9b2.dmg which has a datestamp of 28 March 2013.

Found a 3.9b2 on sourceforge built 2011 - works OK no problem with display running with openjdk 10 64 bit on Ubuntu 18.04
    Cool... thx. I think that's where I pulled down the source code recently to start going through it.

Did you actually build it from source? I found some issues in the makefiles and haven't succeeded (yet) but will try building it on the Mac using the native Java compiler and libs.

Can't remember now, so long ago! I install from softsqueeze_macos_3_9b2.dmg which has a datestamp of 28 March 2013.

Cool... thx. I think that's where I pulled down the source code recently to start going through it.

Did you actually build it from source? I found some issues in the makefiles and haven't succeeded (yet) but will try building it on the Mac using the native Java compiler and libs.
    The 3.9b1 I rebuilt from source using JDK 1.8 today - the last time I built it was in 2009, I think it was with 1.5 maybe 1.6 . It won't build with 1.10 - missing install4j.

Can you check if the problem is ditheriug/ anti aliasing possibly by turning brightness on monitor up full and see if missing pixels are "half-lit"

There a few bugs reported about changes in ditherign behaviour. Here is a anti-aliasing bug report which highlights difference between Mac and Ubuntu - where Ubuntu gets it wrong.
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...l-antialiasing

Happy to report I finally solved this issue!

I set up a Java build environment on my laptop and rebuilt the app from the SoftSqueeze source (Java 10, ant, etc.). I then used javapackager to create an installable PKG or DMG native for the Mac. If anyone would like the detailed steps I'm happy to provide. Now all the screens and fonts are displayed correctly.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 12.03.06.png
Views: 52
Size:  80.6 KB