Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Airplay Stutter on Tune-In but not on MP3 from disk-drive

Hi Guys,

like many, I registered after having trouble now during my first steps with LMS.
    I set up LMS recently on a Windows 2012 R2, with a local drive full of music.

I then added first a Pioneer VSX-830 via Airplay Bridge, which turned out to work great, both with internet-radio AND MP3 from the local disk.

In order to have a compact non-makeshift device in the kitchen I simply looked for a Airplay-speaker.
    My choice was the AUGUST WS300G.
    After I added it to my (Sophos 3xAP enterprise) Wifi, I started with playing different streams from Tune-In.
    They had stutter & clicking noise (every 1-2-3 sec.), so I tried various streams, none was different. I also tried local MP3, which works great.
    I also limited the bitrate for the speaker (in steps, down to 64kbit/s) and therefor installed lamenc. Did not help.

Finally I just now tried to use the Pioneer with Tune-In, which works still fine.
    So in fact, settings for Pioneer & August are the same, but August is not being worth to turn on.

Do you guy have any idea? Otherwise I have to return the speaker..
    Thanks in advance,

Maeffjus

BTW: Using the LMS for 4 days, awesome thing!

Quote Originally Posted by maeffjus View Post
    Hi Guys,

like many, I registered after having trouble now during my first steps with LMS.
    I set up LMS recently on a Windows 2012 R2, with a local drive full of music.

I then added first a Pioneer VSX-830 via Airplay Bridge, which turned out to work great, both with internet-radio AND MP3 from the local disk.

In order to have a compact non-makeshift device in the kitchen I simply looked for a Airplay-speaker.
    My choice was the AUGUST WS300G.
    After I added it to my (Sophos 3xAP enterprise) Wifi, I started with playing different streams from Tune-In.
    They had stutter & clicking noise (every 1-2-3 sec.), so I tried various streams, none was different. I also tried local MP3, which works great.
    I also limited the bitrate for the speaker (in steps, down to 64kbit/s) and therefor installed lamenc. Did not help.

Finally I just now tried to use the Pioneer with Tune-In, which works still fine.
    So in fact, settings for Pioneer & August are the same, but August is not being worth to turn on.

Do you guy have any idea? Otherwise I have to return the speaker..
    Thanks in advance,

Maeffjus

BTW: Using the LMS for 4 days, awesome thing!
    Sorry, it’s confusing: The August, when accessed from LMS through the Airplay bridge is shuttering, but it does not when you access it directly from iTunes directly right?
    If this is the case, because I have to play funny with offset timers in airplay bridge and some airplay clones don’t handle it well, try to change the value of that delay in airplay plugin settings
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    Sorry, it’s confusing: The August, when accessed from LMS through the Airplay bridge is shuttering, but it does not when you access it directly from iTunes directly right?
    If this is the case, because I have to play funny with offset timers in airplay bridge and some airplay clones don’t handle it well, try to change the value of that delay in airplay plugin settings
    Hi philippe,

nope - it does stutter and clicker on playing any streaming-radio via LMS, but does not when playing locally stored (on the server) MP3-files via the LMS.
    I never used it without LMS - I don't even have iTunes.... ;-)

It plays from the LMS local drive both CBR & VBR MP3 in various bitrates, but fails on CBR128kbit from tune-in.
    Regards,
    Matthias

Hi philippe,

nope - it does stutter and clicker on playing any streaming-radio via LMS, but does not when playing locally stored (on the server) MP3-files via the LMS.
    I never used it without LMS - I don't even have iTunes.... ;-)

It plays from the LMS local drive both CBR & VBR MP3 in various bitrates, but fails on CBR128kbit from tune-in.
    Regards,
    Matthias
    Did you try to use "proxied streaming" in the players's configuration (LMS 'settings', tab 'players', choose your player then 'audio')
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    Did you try to use "proxied streaming" in the players's configuration (LMS 'settings', tab 'players', choose your player then 'audio')
    Sure, I did this as one of the first setting I've modified. I assume it puts my server in between.
    Did not help - I've started a return on eBay and will now got for the Blaupunkt WG500, lets see how this one performs ;-)
    (I'm looking for a device with a battery that I can also take outside from the kitchen to hear music when having a barbecue)

Sure, I did this as one of the first setting I've modified. I assume it puts my server in between.
    Did not help - I've started a return on eBay and will now got for the Blaupunkt WG500, lets see how this one performs ;-)
    (I'm looking for a device with a battery that I can also take outside from the kitchen to hear music when having a barbecue)
    I know they're a bit more expensive, but the Libratone Zipp works great with the Airplay bridge. If you wait, they're quite often £149 on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by cpd73 View Post
    I know they're a bit more expensive, but the Libratone Zipp works great with the Airplay bridge. If you wait, they're quite often £149 on Amazon.

There might be deals available, there is a new model to be released soon.

Quote Originally Posted by cpd73 View Post
    I second this recommendation -there's a new Zipp 2 coming out, but as it's airplay 2 compatible it may not work with the airplay bridge.
    LMS server: Pi Zero

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Home Mini, Pioneer WX-SMA1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler

Brexit = ∞ stupidity

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    There might be deals available, there is a new model to be released soon.
    Maybe I#ll think about it for another room, but I guess the Blaupunkt is another league of speaker. The libratone seems like a smaller device, the Blaupunkt is rather big, I hope this positively influences sound quality.
    Here it is: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01G934VRY
    And I wonder, on the German / Austrian price comparison "Geizhals.net" it is for 169€, except for one seller on Amazon. Ebay is also way beyond with 170€.
    Ebay UK has it for a whopping 285€ plus 35€ shipping..

So I think it might be a real deal-breaker for 99 bucks.

Maybe I#ll think about it for another room, but I guess the Blaupunkt is another league of speaker. The libratone seems like a smaller device, the Blaupunkt is rather big, I hope this positively influences sound quality.
    Here it is: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01G934VRY
    And I wonder, on the German / Austrian price comparison "Geizhals.net" it is for 169€, except for one seller on Amazon. Ebay is also way beyond with 170€.
    Ebay UK has it for a whopping 285€ plus 35€ shipping..

So I think it might be a real deal-breaker for 99 bucks.
    Sound quality is so subjective .... the Zipp sound is very good IMHO. One advantage is that there's an equalizer function in the app which 'sticks' even when used with LMS airplay. Wifi reach is also excellent.
    LMS server: Pi Zero

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Home Mini, Pioneer WX-SMA1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler

Brexit = ∞ stupidity

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------