Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Upgraded to 7.9.2,now can't connect

Hi there,

I just upgraded my LMS installation on my music server to 7.9.2. All seemed well, LMS is running on the server and I can access the music files from the web control on the server.

As well, the Win 7 computer on which LMS is installed is visible to the network, and I can access it remotely.

However, no control devices (SqueezeCtrl on my Android devices, SqueezePlay on my laptop) can connect to LMS, or even identify a music server.

There were some other issues that led to the upgrade -- specifically the server had a drive space issue, a function of the creation of a zillion temp files, apparently due to a corrupted log file. Fixed, and 150 gb recovered. But then Windows initiated an update, which apparently had been stalled because of the lack of drive space. Took hours, apparently because I'd deleted the most recent log files, and the install stalled at 100% complete for a long time.

So then, because I'd had some concern initially about virusy things, I installed Avast anti-virus on the device (it's never used for email or for browsing, so little concern, but it IS on 24/7 with an internet connection). And then there was a notification of a new version of LMS, which proved to be 7.9.1. I did a manual install of 7.9.2 instead, why not?

I suppose the first thing I should do is deactivate Avast, to see if that solves things, but my hunch is it's something else - never had a problem with other anti-virus software, although it's been some years since I last had LMS on a computer with such a utility.

Let me know what I should try, and I'll update about the antivirus software.

Ron
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

I don't know about Avast in particular, but there is a good chance that it has a built-in firewall that prevents external systems making a connection to "ports" that LMS is listening on.
    Try temporarily disabling it - and if that resolves it then you will have to work out how to tell it to allow LMS to receive connections from the local LAN.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Yep, it was Avast. I uninstalled it (it's a free program so no problem) and the problem was over.

I looked around Avast and couldn't find any settings that might have resolved a firewall situation. I'll leave it off, and maybe install Norton -- I'm waiting a couple of weeks until my subscription expires to do a new install, and I have enough authorized installs to extend it to the server (but barely). I can do a partial install on the server, but am probably okay with just Windows firewall.

R.
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

I would like to add to this thread.

Long time Squeezebox and Avast "Free" user without issues.

I updated Avast "Free" yesterday and now none of my Squeezebox devices (2 touch and 1 boom) can access LMS. Disabling Avast does not help, disabling windows firewall does allow the devices to connect to the server. Removed LMS firewall entries in Windows 7 , uninstalled and reinstalled LMS 7.9.1. Same issues. I did not attempt to unistall Avast --- yet.

Only with disabling windows 7 firewall can the devices access LMS.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Update. Uninstalled Avast (completely using awsclear) and turned windows firewall back on, and all squeeze devices can connect to LMS. It appears that the recent security update to Avast Free 18.6.xxx on 10/10/2018 appears to have initiated the issues.

Avast "Free" does not have any firewall settings enabled that are adjustable.

Now looking for another antivirus program

I got my stuff working by uninstalling Avast using only its own uninstall routine initiated from the Windows programs listing.

I'm glad, in a way, that I'm not the only one who found this a problem -- but as a new Avast user I had no history prior to it screwing things up.

R.
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)