Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Transporter - no audio for 24/96 Tom Petty file

Hi all,

I have several 24/96 titles that I play without problem on my Transporter. A few days ago, I bought the new Tom Petty "An American Treasure" 24/96 FLAC files from HDTracks.com

Neither the analog nor the digital outs of the Transporter output any sound I have confirmed the files play black with no issue on my Squeezebox Touch, and other digital players. This is the only title that outputs nothing.

I already did a Xilinix reset, is there anything else that would cause loss of output signal?

Transporter can have issues with some 24/96 flac with high compression ratio .

Try to transcode it to flac with -5 compression ratio ( yes you can losslesly transcode flac to flac ) .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Transporter can have issues with some 24/96 flac with high compression ratio .

Try to transcode it to flac with -5 compression ratio ( yes you can losslesly transcode flac to flac ) .
    The Transporter can decode 24/96 only if the blocksize is 4608 or smaller. With 4096 i found no song that hangs the Transporter. It may be recent flac encoder implementations use higher values (CUETools flake does)
    As Mnyb suggests a simple reencode with default flac will fix that. You may also try to stream flac as decoded PCM. 24/96 should work even on Wifi but don't use the 7.92 betas because it is broken in these.
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Thanks guys. I ended up asking HDTracks for an ALAC 24/96 version instead. That plays just fine! Is there any easy way to determine the block size, or encode level?

Quote Originally Posted by SamS View Post
    Thanks guys. I ended up asking HDTracks for an ALAC 24/96 version instead. That plays just fine! Is there any easy way to determine the block size, or encode level?
    flac -a Song.flac spits out an output.ana file in the same folder you can open with an editor, notepad or other viewer.

I didn't purchase at HDtracks but i think many companies that use several file formats on sale encode in-house between the formats.
    For such software ffmpeg seems well suited. You may see the used encoder as LavfXX.XX.XXX then with tools like Mediainfo.
    I tested a 24/96 file with ffmpeg and indeed the output.ana file shows in the first line the entry blocksize=8192 so the Transporter can't handle it.
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    flac -a Song.flac spits out an output.ana file in the same folder you can open with an editor, notepad or other viewer.

I didn't purchase at HDtracks but i think many companies that use several file formats on sale encode in-house between the formats.
    For such software ffmpeg seems well suited. You may see the used encoder as LavfXX.XX.XXX then with tools like Mediainfo.
    I tested a 24/96 file with ffmpeg and indeed the output.ana file shows in the first line the entry blocksize=8192 so the Transporter can't handle it.
    Do you think ALAC would be more foolproof for the Transporter to handle? As a general rule, going forward.

Do you think ALAC would be more foolproof for the Transporter to handle? As a general rule, going forward.
    I will never use ALAC for anything. FLAC is the lossless standard and hopefully here to stay even when misused as container for MQAs DRM
    Maybe you can check your FLAC files one day and see if my guess was right. If HDtracks used the official xiph flac encoder everything was fine because it uses a blocksize of 4096 afaik.
    It is easy to reencode while keeping the metadata. You may prepare a routine to do this with your purhases. I reencode everything i get with the encoder of my choice and a blocksize of 4096 btw.

I will never use ALAC for anything. FLAC is the lossless standard and hopefully here to stay even when misused as container for MQAs DRM
    Maybe you can check your FLAC files one day and see if my guess was right. If HDtracks used the official xiph flac encoder everything was fine because it uses a blocksize of 4096 afaik.
    It is easy to reencode while keeping the metadata. You may prepare a routine to do this with your purhases. I reencode everything i get with the encoder of my choice and a blocksize of 4096 btw.
    I saw your instructions for checking the output.ana info, but I'm not sure where I should be running the command 'flac -a Song.flac'? I'm using a Mac, if that matters. Happy to check these files and report back, if you could provide this last bit of guidance. Thanks.

I saw your instructions for checking the output.ana info, but I'm not sure where I should be running the command 'flac -a Song.flac'? I'm using a Mac, if that matters. Happy to check these files and report back, if you could provide this last bit of guidance. Thanks.
    Sorry, with that i can't help.

Sorry, with that i can't help.
    Umm.. where are *you* running this command? In a terminal window? In a program? Just need some context here.