Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Boom appears to be dead - alternatives in 2018?

Well after 9 years of good service my Boom appears to be dead. Worked fine up until Friday, unplugged it to use the socket and upon replugging it in, no display or buttons light up, can't see it on the network etc.... So I'm on the look out for a replacement audio streamer.

My requirements are:
    • Decent sound quality (the Boom is great, I don't want some bass box!)
    • Must integrate and stream from my local NAS
    • High wife acceptance factor
    • Chromecast target would be great

Here I see my options as:
    • Replace with another Boom
    • Change to a Sonos system
    • Use Google Homes (or equivalent)
    • Use simple DLNA speakers

I have to be honest I'm not that keen on buying another Boom only for it to go tits up in a year or 2. Also Booms seem to be quite expensive still, although Radios can at least be picked up cheaper (at least here in Germany).

Sonos seem to be the only manufacturer that are still making streamers that connect to local NAS. I'm not interested in Spotify etc... much more interested in FLAC from my local server, with the occasional bit of internet radio.

I've seen these GGMM E speaker recommended and they at least look decent.

Chromecast would be great as I often podcast from my phone. I don't need Google assistant though (already have a Home mini).

So what are people doing here? There must be plenty in a similar situation :-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnieutah View Post
    Well after 9 years of good service my Boom appears to be dead. Worked fine up until Friday, unplugged it to use the socket and upon replugging it in, no display or buttons light up, can't see it on the network etc.... So I'm on the look out for a replacement audio streamer.

My requirements are:
    • Decent sound quality (the Boom is great, I don't want some bass box!)
    • Must integrate and stream from my local NAS
    • High wife acceptance factor
    • Chromecast target would be great

Here I see my options as:
    • Replace with another Boom
    • Change to a Sonos system
    • Use Google Homes (or equivalent)
    • Use simple DLNA speakers

I have to be honest I'm not that keen on buying another Boom only for it to go tits up in a year or 2. Also Booms seem to be quite expensive still, although Radios can at least be picked up cheaper (at least here in Germany).

Sonos seem to be the only manufacturer that are still making streamers that connect to local NAS. I'm not interested in Spotify etc... much more interested in FLAC from my local server, with the occasional bit of internet radio.

I've seen these GGMM E speaker recommended and they at least look decent.

Chromecast would be great as I often podcast from my phone. I don't need Google assistant though (already have a Home mini).

So what are people doing here? There must be plenty in a similar situation :-)

Thanks
    If you run LMS then install the chromecast bridge plugin, then you can use a Google Home device as a player/speaker.

GGMMs are okay - best used with the airplay bridge plugin.
    LMS server: Pi Zero

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Home Mini, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler

Brexit = ∞ stupidity

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can use Riva speakers. Looks similar to Sonos, multiple form factors, good quality and they do Chromecast, Airplay and UPnP/DLNA ...
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Also ... it might not be dead at least it might be possible to revive it.
    JoeMuc2009 has had success fixing Booms for people.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Have you tried unplugging/re-plugging/cleaning the contacts on the PSU plug into the back of the Boom, mine is a bas**** to get going again if I need to unplug it. And my SB Radio is too.
    Server - LMS 7.9.2 Pi4B 4GB/pCP 6.0.0-b6 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi

Could also be the external PSU that has failed - not the Boom itself.

Replacements on eBay or elsewhere on the net are not very expensive.

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by KeBul View Post

Kev
    I agree you should try that first. These PSU fail regulary. I just replaced yet another 9V duet PSU yesterday. For Boom, its' 12V at least 2.5A
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by KeBul View Post

Kev
    Will try and get my hands on a multi meter and test it.
    If it is the psu is it best to replace with an original or is there a cheaper alternative that is just as good?

If it’s not the psu, has any one had any experience with Teufel/Raumfeld products? They seem to be popular here in Germany and the older models appear to offer dlna, nas playback as well as supporting chrome cast.
    Last edited by johnieutah; 2018-09-30 at 13:25.

If it is the psu is it best to replace with an original or is there a cheaper alternative that is just as good?
    I'm not sure you'll be able to get a Logitech original, plenty of third party replacements out there though at what I would consider to be low cost - ú10 to ú15, just do a web search for "Logitech Boom PSU"

eBay and Amazon have many to choose from, I would just double check the output dc voltage and current ratings of the original and make sure the replacement is rated for the same output voltage and at least the same current rating.

Kev

you may need to test it under load, of course, not just open circuit.