Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Future of LMS/Picoreplayer

I've been using squeezeboxes for years. Still got one of the early ones but no longer use it. I'm currently running LMS on a Synology NAS and have rpi's dotted about and have a Hifi Tidal subscription. All controlled from my android phone using Orangesqueeze. Basically I was happy with the setup but wondered if I could stream 24bit from Tidal through an rpi to a USB DAC. Couldn't find any way to do that with LMS so started to look further afield. Guess what, I found Roon. It does all I want and more. But $499?. I like the fact that you can merge your local albums and Tidal albums. I like the metadata and the versions and the discovery. But $499? I'm tempted. But $499? There is the $119/year option. Thats $10/month (but that option is not available). I pay the $30/month family Tidal subscription without batting an eyelid. But $499? To be fair, if I get past 4 years I start saving money. If there was a $10 monthly subscription and possibly HEOS support, I wouldn't be posting today (possibly).
    That brings me to my question. Development for LMS has basically stopped and we all know the reasons why. Development for picoreplayer continues but that doesn't change the eco system. Where is LMS going? Are we going to see increased functionality of any sort? Integration with streaming services? Any development at all? I think I know the answer. The world is moving on and LMS is getting left behind. Just thought I'd as the question before I make my decision.

Thing are still happening with LMS with features arriving mainly through plugins - which is a big benefit of the openness of the architecture.
    I presume that access to higher bitrates from Tidal would mean negotiating with them and paying them something.
    I doubt that Logitech would be interested but an enterprising developer might be ... however, putting in the mechanism to collect the fees makes it a much bigger task unless there is more to sell. Presumably that is how Roon built their business case.

Sonos just announced more losses and looks likely that they will have to make cuts.

Not an easy business.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Quote Originally Posted by tobyjug View Post
    Development for LMS has basically stopped
    How do you define "basically stopped"? Have you been following LMS development, all the work Michael Herger has pushed to give us the LMS78x and LMS79x community versions?

https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https...hangelog7.html
    Last edited by Stig Nygaard; 2018-09-13 at 08:02.
    /Stig
    rockland.dk - last.fm/user/rockland - discogs.com/user/StigNygaard - plus.google.com/+StigNygaard
    Server: LMS 7.9.2 (LmsUpdate) - 0012.1536072399 @ Tue Sep 4 2018 on Synology DS716+II. Clients: RPi3 (Max2Play, 7" touch, HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro), SB Touch, OrangeSqueeze/SqueezePlayer. Livingroom HiFi: Marantz PM6005 and F3/Lyd Audiovector 2.

Try my Art Grabr for fetching big cover-art from various sites - And Album Linkr for a better last.fm desktop browser experience...

Quote Originally Posted by Stig Nygaard View Post
    How do you define "basically stopped"? Have you been following LMS development, all the work Michael Herger has pushed to give us the LMS78x and LMS79x community versions?

https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https...hangelog7.html
    I second that. So far, Tidal, Spotify (including Spotify Connect), Deezer, Qobuz are available in LMS. I've added support fro UPnP, Chromecast and Airplay speakers/players. Squeezelite is actively maintained by @ralphy. You can stream from an iPhone using Shairtunes. What's missing is streaming from Android masquerading a Chromecast player, and this one is not going to happen, that's true. You have excellent iPhone and Android controllers with iPeng, OrangeSqueeze and SqueezeCtrl. What else?
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    What's missing is streaming from Android masquerading a Chromecast player, and this one is not going to happen, that's true.
    Could you elaborate please? Why isn't that going to happen? I ask just out of curiosity, not out of any sense of "get to work" or something like that
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

Quote Originally Posted by bakker_be View Post
    Could you elaborate please? Why isn't that going to happen? I ask just out of curiosity, not out of any sense of "get to work" or something like that
    Because itís 1/ pretty complicated and 2/ will work in a very limited set of cases. For examples, if you try to play anything like audio from Deezer, Spotify it will fail. This is due to an application that must be loaded in the emulated CC player. Itís easy to emulate the default one, but most companies have their own which takes care of security/DRM and is impossible to replicate these
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    Because itís 1/ pretty complicated and 2/ will work in a very limited set of cases. For examples, if you try to play anything like audio from Deezer, Spotify it will fail. This is due to an application that must be loaded in the emulated CC player. Itís easy to emulate the default one, but most companies have their own which takes care of security/DRM and is impossible to replicate these
    OK, cristal clear! Thanks for the info
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

Quote Originally Posted by tobyjug View Post
    but wondered if I could stream 24bit from Tidal through an rpi to a USB DAC.
    Not with Tidal, but it's possible to stream hi-res audio from Qobuz, with a Sublime+ subscription (£350pa).
    Living room: piCorePlayer, with USB to Marantz PM7005, TDL RTL3 speakers.
    Dining room: SB Boom.
    Kitchen: SB Radio 1/4 with battery.
    Bedroom 1: SB Radio 2/4 no battery, SB Radio 3/4 with battery.
    Bedroom 2: SB Touch, AE 2.1. speakers.
    Bedroom 3: Slim Devices SB3 2/2, Edirol MA-15D powered monitors.
    Bathroom: SB Radio 4/4, white, with (and running on) battery.
    Server: LMS v7.9.2 on piCorePlayer on RPi 3.

Quote Originally Posted by bakker_be View Post
    To create a chromecast player - besdie code to implement the cxhromecast player (mainly a cut down browser) you need to get authorisation keys from Google and be registered with Google as custom code for players is loaded via Google. There is no open way to get registered etc.