Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I love my boom but recently i had to shut it off because of a bad contact on the power plug which was causing it to switch on and off continuously. I have to repair it.

The other problem i have is that rubber parts, especially buttons become sticky. Do you have a tip to clean them ?
    LMS 7.9.1 on a debian jessie vm (esxi 5.5)
    1xboom, 1x sq3, 2x sonos play1, foobar 2000, zettaly
    spotify family
    ipeng
    plugins: spotty, upnpbridge, airplay bridge, shairtunes2W, youtube, soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by caplam View Post
    The other problem i have is that rubber parts, especially buttons become sticky. Do you have a tip to clean them ?
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ky-front-panel

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...-replace-knobs

Quote Originally Posted by caplam View Post
    I love my boom but recently i had to shut it off because of a bad contact on the power plug which was causing it to switch on and off continuously. I have to repair it.

Using baby powder works well against degrading rubber material. Will get a bit gray-ish unfortunately and will need to be redone from time to time

EnvoyÚ de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Thank you, i tried with baby powder on the front and the small buttons. It was ok.
    I tried on the knob but it was not so good. I made the knob with car polish and it's better.
    LMS 7.9.1 on a debian jessie vm (esxi 5.5)
    1xboom, 1x sq3, 2x sonos play1, foobar 2000, zettaly
    spotify family
    ipeng
    plugins: spotty, upnpbridge, airplay bridge, shairtunes2W, youtube, soundcloud

Squeezebox Boom Restoration

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    I bought a Boom on eBay the other day for a very low price, but that poor thing was in a really bad shape. I've decided to do as @Bimmerstyle and worked to restore it. I have to say that result is beyond what I hoped. With careful polish, the glossy aspect is back. As a bonus it seems that is was bearly used so the display and speakers are perfect. One extra tip I used for two of my Booms: if the speaker grids are damaged (bumps or scratches), just remove the bumps gently with a hammer on the back side and spray some glossy black paint, it will look brand new

Attachment 25592Attachment 25593Attachment 25594Attachment 25595

I just picked up a Squeezebox Boom for $50. It had typical use(scratches on the Piano black surfaces), sticky front panel and knob, and a dim display panel.
    I adjusted the display to the max of "5" and at least I can now read the display panel but I'm not sure if this accelerates the demise of the dim display problems.
    I found an amazing plastic scratch remover. If the scratches are minor, using E-Z-R (with BF Goodrich Carbopol) called Scratch Away HD formula is simply amazing.
    Here are some other tips about removing more difficult scratches. The next step up with deeper scratches, I suggest the Mequiar's Scratch X 2.0. It will take deeper
    scratches away but you still need to follow-up using the E-Z-R Scratch away to get the final "Glass" like finish.
    If the scratches are even deeper, use Happich Simichrome Polish. Its great for metals, but I have found it works wonders with plastics too. Again this is higher in
    pumice or the abrasive material that makes if effective, but you then next have to use the Meguiar's and then the E-Z-R Scratch away to finish off. Your end results
    are truly amazing!
    I've done a web search about these newer black, rubberized surfaces. Their use in product be produced (mainly China) are everywhere. The same sticky and tacky
    surface can really destroy wanting to use a product that has this situation. The Talc powder does work to some degree. I also found users suggesting that applying
    Baby Oil works too but have been told both are just temporary.
    I applied the Baby Oil to the front panel using a paper towel and basically tried to keep rubbing it into the surface and then touching the surface occasionally to see
    if it was working. It did make the surface more pleasing to the touch without the dulling effect that Talc powder does.
    I hope these tricks will help others!

Regards, John