Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

LMS & Pi3 - Max # of Clients?

I'm just curious to know what the (theoretical) maximum number of clients might be for LMS running on a Pi in a multi-client installation. I know it might vary depending on the base OS and other factors, but assuming a Pi3, is there an approximate set of limitations (library size, number of end points / clients) beyond which LMS might struggle?

Thanks in advance!

hi Hammerhead,

I think this is impossible to answer as there is too many variables.

For example, I only use a RPi1B (512MB) for LMS for day to day listening and testing. 1000 WAV files for take a while to rescan, but I don't do that very often. I always have one pCP going plus I add another 1 or 2 when testing, never noticed a problem.

I am sure if you stream hi resolution, upsample, rescan and do a random select at the same time it would fall in a heap.

regards
    Greg

Greg, that's a good point.

I suppose I should have clarified that I was asking about a standalone LMS install, as opposed to one which is running as both server and client.

So, yes. There are a number of variables, but assuming a Pi3 as server only, what sort of limits would you say one might reasonably expect on the number of clients and the DB size?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

It really depends on your usage pattern. If you only use it on a Pi 3B+ to stream mp3s through some music service or stream internet radio, then you can probably handle dozens of them. If you want to play hires flac or DSD files stored on a sluggish SD card then one probably is enough to bring it down with one or two units. And anything between the two extremes. There are several potential bottlenecks which suffer from different use cases.

Eg. I know that some users running LMS on a Pi B+ (first generation) are seeing issues using Spotty on more than one player at a time. Simply because it uses relatively much memory and CPU at the start of the streaming. Describe your setup, usage pattern, services used etc. and we might be able to give you a rough thumbs up or down.

To answer your question: no, there's no theoretical maximum. Are you looking for some range? Are you wondering whether 10 players were possible, or 100?
    Last edited by mherger; 2018-09-11 at 21:47.
    Michael

http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins - Spotty, MusicArtistInfo

If you invoke some form on transcoding for several players at the same time it can bring a lot of load
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html