Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Making backups would be way easier if you had a linux system to use. Ever tried using a USB stick with a live Linux OS.
    Now and then I use a live cd but USB would be faster. I'm open for suggestions. Is there a newbie how to backup SD card were the backup could be saved on a windows disk? Also the restore part would be important
    SqueezeBoxes: 2x SB2 (Living room and study), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Bedroom)
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, D-Link Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

@edwin

I have always used either win32diskimager or usb-tool-image to make a backup on to Windows.

Both these tools (and Etcher,SD format) I right click and run as administrator. If using win32 I append .img manually before saving the file.

Before I started using pishrink I used a live usb stick of gparted and reduced the size of the boot partition before making the backup.

I know it is possible to use a live linux usb but I have always been worried about DD and not getting the pathways correct.

I now use pishrink installed on a copy of Raspbian Stretch with desktop. I use this in preference to Stretch-lite as the Desktop means I can just copy and paste my way through the procedure.

I'm not a linux (or computer, for that matter) person, but I have learned (with help from many people and google) how to do things in a manner which works for me.

It's called "Trial and Error" i.e. a lot of trial and much more error.

If you are willing I can make a rough and ready guide to how I do this, it will take me a day or so.

You will need a spare card of 16gb or so to install the Raspbian Stretch Desktop.

Let me know what you think.

Groeten

ronnie

Hi,

just my 2 cents..

That whole thing does it really make sense?

We are talking about a "standard" image thats maintened from someone and thats made for nongeeks to use out of the box.

What do i (call me geek or whatever) prefer to do is quite simple.

I dont do backups for such things - eg asap you need the backup its already old and you better use a fresh image with updated packages.

All the steps needed to alter my setup from the standard i wrote down ito a textfile.
    After i installed a fresh OS i run that textfile as a script.

eg
    Code:
    wget -O - http://djangos.homepage/install_lms_from_scratch.sh | bash
    Thats all you need and you not ending with a backup - you get a fresh up2date OS with exact your settings!

We are not talking about a highly altered OS with dependencies and packages -we talking about picoreplayer with little changes like plugins or serverips /hostnames....
    Last edited by DJanGo; 2018-09-12 at 02:29.

@Man in Van. If you are willing to do so, yes please. Perhaps it's possible to include it somewhere in wiki?
    @Django. I see were you're going but for me i think a bit different. I rather make a backup every time i change something major (update or setting) then work my way through a sort of log file when something happens. Probably when something happens the LMS pi is not the only thing that goes belly up and it needs to work again asap. I don't have that much spare time to do accident retrieval.
    With the current way of backup it will eat pretty quick a lot of memory since the LMS pi is not the only device, not to mention the restore time is unnecessary long.
    For the strict PcP pi's that act as a client i don't care much, that's just new image and almost ready
    SqueezeBoxes: 2x SB2 (Living room and study), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Bedroom)

@edwin2006;

tar/zip some folders/files to a usb stick/smb share is a lot faster than removing the sd card; shrink partitions, backup them and putting the sd card back.
    into the pi.

@Django

You are indubitably correct in your assertions, but I can't do these thing easily (or competently) for a variety of reasons.

In my case, I have too much age and too little ability and knowledge.

But I can manage the long winded method.

There is more than one way to skin a cat, so, please don't disparage the incompetent too much.

ronnie, who wishes you a very pleasant evening

@Man in a van. Would love to see your solution. Wished I had more time to fully understand Linux. Coming there one step at a time but it's going to be long journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    In my case, I have too much age and too little ability and knowledge.
    @ronnie: "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"

its soooo simple ....

eg you want to "backup" your library.db -> yes that file didnt make sense but just as a demo...

write down the filename with its path into a textfile
    find / -name library.db> ~/filelist.txt
    you also want to add another file like your server.prefs
    find / -name server.prefs>> ~/filelist.txt
    or you just write that with any editor
    now you want to backup these files
    tar cvf files.tar --files-from ~/filelist.txt
    But you want more than one version so your line looks like:
    tar cvf files.`date "+%F"`.tar --files-from ~/filelist.txt
    now your backupfile has a timestamp in its filename.
    files.2018-09-12.tar
    you need to restore something
    tar xf files.tar
    pay attention if your not in the "rootfolder" "/" you end up with folders & files from the backup in your actual directory.
    Best if you didnt need all the files or just want to take a look into a file without overwriting the actual one.
    If you want to restore them into the original folder just cd / before the tar xf.

@Django

I know you have a good heart and want to help, but I have no education in this Linux lark and can just about cope with what I do understand.

I'll maybe get there one day.

Name:  mr.bridger.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  29.9 KB