Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Logitech UE Smart Radio completely dead - any hardware support?

Hi,

I have three Squeezebox devices, a UE Smart Radio, an older Squeezebox Radio and a Squeezebox Touch. To my dismay, the newest of the three, the UE Smart Radio packed in completely. No display, no sound (not even a little 'click' in the speaker when you connect it to a power source), no nothing!

Given that there is no official support for the hardware anymore, I had a bit of a go at it, trying to figure out what's wrong. My first guess was the power adapter and/or battery, but both seem to work fine as far as I can tell/measure (reasonable voltage across the terminals). However, after taking the radio completely apart, I could not find any voltage at any of the various components soldered to the PCB, so I still suspect that the fault is rather basic and has something to do with the power circuitry. Is there any documentation for the PCB or experience with this kind of fault?

So far I have mainly tried to compare the (working) Squeezebox Radio with the broken UE Smart Radio (without breaking the former). I always thought the hardware is practically identical and was surprised to find a few differences. In my Squeezebox Radio the rechargeable battery is plugged directly into a socket on the PCB. For the UE Smart Radio, it is plugged into a connector on the inside of the battery cover, from where a cable leads on to the PCB. I opened the little connector box just to find that it contains no active components, just a small PCB connecting the input socket to the output cable?! All connectors have the same shape (i.e. you can bypass the connector box) and the batteries also look exactly the same. In fact, despite the fact that I bought the UE Radio more than a year later, the batteries are dated only a few month apart (or even the same?)! Any idea what has changed here and why? What I also found surprising is that the "new" battery does not seem to work in the old radio and vice versa. Something must have changed in the supply circuitry - or the battery and radio gave up at the same time!

Anyhow, I would appreciate any insight into how to revive a dead UE Smart Radio. The other two feel lonely ...

it's worth trying without the battery conected to see if it's starts with just the powersupply
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

JoeMuc2009 who has repaired many SB players has had problem with Radio failing and found a cause. He suspects the battery circuit is significiant in these failures and advises not to install battery or use battery.
    see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post918596

edit:

Forgot to say in an earlier post in the thread ( https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post862112 ), details of how some Radio were repaired. With this information - you might be able to find a local repair service - read the rest of that thread for other user experiences.
    Last edited by bpa; 2018-09-07 at 01:13.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    JoeMuc2009 who has repaired many SB players has had problem with Radio failing and found a cause. He suspects the battery circuit is significiant in these failures and advises not to install battery or use battery.

edit:

Forgot to say in an earlier post in the thread ( https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post862112 ), details of how some Radio were repaired. With this information - you might be able to find a local repair service - read the rest of that thread for other user experiences.
    The connection between failures and fitted batteries is only a theory. If most Radios have batteries then the probability of a failed Radio containing a battery is high.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    The connection between failures and fitted batteries is only a theory. If most Radios have batteries then the probability of a failed Radio containing a battery is high.

Just wanted the OP to be informed of opinions. You're correct about most radio having batteries. However, there are a number of post where no battery Radios are working OK for a while until user installs and then starts using battery.

That said, the thread has a number of posts and photos which would be helpful if Radio was sent to a repair service. However, IIRC one user received a box of bits back from a repair guy - so vet any repair service beforehand .

Just wanted the OP to be informed of opinions. You're correct about most radio having batteries. However, there are a number of post where no battery Radios are working OK for a while until user installs and then starts using battery.

That said, the thread has a number of posts and photos which would be helpful if Radio was sent to a repair service. However, IIRC one user received a box of bits back from a repair guy - so vet any repair service beforehand .
    When someone fits a battery and the Radio fails immediately I wonder if they have forced the connector on reversed. They are quite fiddly.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    When someone fits a battery and the Radio fails immediately I wonder if they have forced the connector on reversed. They are quite fiddly.
    Never installed thebattery in my Radio. I don't use much, mainly for test/check plugiuns etc. An odd thing I notice if my no battery Radio has not been powered on for a few months - it will not power up immediately power is applied. If I wait say 30mins - then it will power up OK. Just another quirk - don't know if it is just my unit (v. early production swapped for a beta unit).

edit:

Thanks for the pointers to the other thread. After closer inspection of my PCB, Q3 seems to be damaged in my radio as well, which would be consistent with the observations there. I will try to contact some people for repair, as SMB soldering is beyond my tool kit!

Just for curiosity: I am still intrigued to find the differences between the original Squeezebox Radio and the UE Smart Radio. In my case, if the battery of my UE Smart Radio should be at fault for frying the U2 and/or Q3, I am somewhat confused why installing the suspect battery in the original SB Radio didn't kill the latter. Also, if this was a known issue, and the only obvious hardware change between the two is the addition of the mysterious connector box between the battery and the PCB, shouldn't that box contain some circuitry to better decouple battery problems from the power electronics? Questions, questions!?!

No battery, ever; still failed

Mine is one of the original Radios that never had a battery in it, and failed. It was playing along just fine on AC, then stopped playing.

Have you checked the power supply?

It seems a bit obvious, but when my Squeezebox died suddenly, a test of the power adaptor showed no output. A new 18v adaptor bought it back to life.