Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    How does a Hacker / Cracker gets his way into the IOT Devices like a lms?
    Hi DJanGo - you have many good points (I only quote one line in your response above). IOT are potential targets and in these times, we should think how to reduce the risk in a product like piCorePlayer.

Cheers,
    Claus

Quote Originally Posted by cfuttrup View Post
    Is iptables already there on the piCorePlayer, and do I have to edit a text file on the system, to accomplish this?
    No
    Yes

Sorry to bring this to the surface again. Can anyone offer help how to install iptables?

Presumably it's available as a package from Tiny Core -> piCore. Is there a simple command that installs iptables?

Next about the configuration, I'm far from an expert, never done this before. Would this make sense?

# Allow any connection from this host.
    iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
    # Allow any connection from the local network.
    iptables -A INPUT -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j ACCEPT
    # Allow all broadcast traffic.
    iptables -A INPUT -m pkttype --pkt-type broadcast -j ACCEPT
    Will such an installation be erased when updating piCorePlayer ... meaning I'll have to reinstall ?

/Claus

Where are you doing the configuration steps?
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Hi paul

I have just picked someones recommendations for a start - to allow "everything" ... I haven't actually configured iptables yet, because it isn't installed on my piCorePlayer yet.

Cheers,
    Claus

I'm not going to get into your rules. But if you are just allowing everything, what is the point.

You wanted to know if it would be wiped out during update, and the answer is..... it depends. Where is your config script? And how is it being called?

Hi Paul

My understanding is that iptables is not installed in a default piCorePlayer, so I need to install it first. I understand that Tiny Core has the following modules ready to install:

http://tinycorelinux.net/9.x/armv6/tcz/

... but exactly how does one install such packages in piCorePlayer ... can I through the web interface execute some commands and they will be downloaded and installed? - or do I have to find these packages elsewhere?

P.S. I think it is wise to let all traffic go through the firewall for a start (i.e. start with iptables being wide open), then I can assess later what's allowed and what's blocked. I'm just being careful.

Cheers,
    Claus

You can install packages from the "Extensions" button on the main pCP web page. Sometimes you might need to install kernel module packages that are only found on the piCorePlayer repo first.

Hi Paul

Thanks. i see the "Extensions" button now - when going from Normal to Advanced ... and the need to resize first :-). I have to say it's really nice to use piCorePlayer. It's quite an amazing piece of software.

Cheers,
    Claus

OK, eh, I chose the iptables.tcz package (from piCore repository - it's the default), but it seems piCorePlayer downloads the wrong package (!?). I get:

Downloading: ipv6-4.14.81-pcpCore_v7.tcz
    Error on ipv6-4.14.81-pcpCore_v7.tcz

... but that's not iptables, that's the package next in the table of packages ( :-) ). I wonder why the wrong package is downloaded. Anyway, ipv6 is 311 kb, whereas iptables is 307 kb. I first expanded the SD card to 100 Mb, leaving 51 Mb free, then to 200 Mb (it's a 1 GB card). Free space is now 142 Mb. It's impossible that I'm short of space. It seems the files are downloaded to another partition, and this partition is too small, maybe a RAM disk partition (?).

Next - i changed to the piCorePlayer repository, and the correct file was downloaded. ipv6 was also downloaded, and netfilter, it looks like dependencies are automatically taken care of.

/Claus
    Last edited by cfuttrup; 2019-01-06 at 11:49.