Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Bluetooth on a zeroW works with wifi, but it is very very finicky. As the two devices share the same antennae.

If you must use a zero, then I would recommend adding a USB based wifi or BT stick. And its best to put the USB device on a extension cable and get it away from the zero.
    Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for your feedback and for the detailed guide earlier. I suspect you're probably right, I'm suffering from a finicky BT/Wifi connection. I managed to find a USB Ethernet adapter in my stash of things so I will try disabling Wifi to confirm your suspicion. If I can get it to work then I may just get a bunch of BT modules on Ali Express. Are there specific ones I should stay away from? I can check the Bluez website if that's the best place to check.

Thanks again, and great work on this. PCp is awesome! It sure beats the subscription model found ... other places.

I would just check the compatibility with bluez, I know there are a few to stay away from, and there are some that have to be configured with Windows software before they will work with linux/bluez.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

I'm also having trouble connecting PCP to a bluetooth speaker (running on a Pi 3B+). I made it through the install and have green check marks for BT Controller is On and Connect Daemon is running. Then when I try to scan for a speaker nothing happens. I just see
    [ INFO ] Scanning for Bluetooth Devices, make sure device is in pair mode...
    and then nothing happens. Speakers don't show up in the dropdown next to Pair. I've connecting to two different devices and did multiple reboots in PCP both over wifi and ethernet.

Clicking the Show Log button shows:
    bcm43xx_init
    Set BDADDR UART: b8:27:eb:64:d1:94
    Set Controller UART speed to 921600 bit/s
    Device setup complete
    RPi Bluetooth Hardware Address: B8:27:EB:641:94
    Powering on the BT controller
    Success.
    Device /dev/mmcblk0p1 could not connect
    Last message repeated 70 times.
    Any suggestions?

Are you sure your speakers are in pair mode.....and not connected to another bluetooth device. (i.e. your phone)

Are you sure your speakers are in pair mode.....and not connected to another bluetooth device. (i.e. your phone)
    Yes. disconnected phone from both speakers and switched to pairing mode. Also tried a pair of headphones. Are there any other logs I could try to pull to troubleshoot?

I would try to manually pair it using bluetoothctl

Connect via ssh.

type bluetoothctl

then type scan on

And see if your device pops into the list...... if it does, find the mac address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

type scan off
    then type pair <device mac>
    then type untrust <device mac>

then exit, then you should be able to select the device on the pCP web page.

I would try to manually pair it using bluetoothctl

Connect via ssh.

type bluetoothctl

then type scan on

And see if your device pops into the list...... if it does, find the mac address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

type scan off
    then type pair <device mac>
    then type untrust <device mac>

then exit, then you should be able to select the device on the pCP web page.
    Thanks. I still wasn't connecting so I ended up refreshing with a fresh copy of pCP. It still wouldn't connect, but the log said to run
    pcp-bt-pair
    to pair manually. I ssh'ed in, ran that and saw the speaker show up.

Looks like the range is terrible when wifi is turned on. It will only stay connected if the speaker is within a few feet. Works across the room when connected to my lan. I'm not sure if there's any way around that other than getting an external BT adapter. Fortunately I have a lan connection right where I want to keep the pi.

Bluetooth and 2.4g wifi are using similar frequencies, If you are using a 3B+ do you have a wifi router capable of the 5G bands. That will really help...... but hard wire is always better.