Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Setting up Bluetooth Speaker with piCorePlayer v3.5.0 optimized for audio

So I set up Squeezelite Settings>Audio output device settings> and select Bluetooth Audio. Then >save, Then reboot. For some reason Squeezelite stops working. When I click on >Card control, everything is red in Bluetooth control. I am also connected via ethernet becuse I understand that the Wifi does not work when using BT. Does anyone know why this is happening? Thanks.

Yup, make sure you are in beta mode, then finish the install

Squeezelite won’t run until a speaker is fully setup, paired and connected. And don’t run the audio kernel. It provides Zero value when using Bluetooth.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

The key item here is Beta mode

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Yup, make sure you are in beta mode, then finish the install

Squeezelite won’t run until a speaker is fully setup, paired and connected. And don’t run the audio kernel. It provides Zero value when using Bluetooth.
    Yes, it now works. I am streaming to my Bang and Olufsen A2 Speaker. Sounds like it is supposed to; Fantastic. The part that I missed is to be in "Beta Mode". I am using the Audio Optimised pCP but no harm.

Thanks

It also works with WiFi on!

Just wanted to add that built-in Wifi works just fine with built-in Bluetooth playing on bluetooth speaker.

PiCorePlayer v 3.5.0
    RPI 3 B+

The 3B+ works well with WiFi and Bluetooth, especially on a 5G WiFi band. For the reat, there has been a recent change to the Rpi WiFi firmware that allows 2.4g WiFi coexist with Bluetooth. This change will be in 4.0.0 soon.

Just for fun, I thought I would give this a try and now have pCP 4.0 on a PiZeroWH running on 2.4GHz WiFi and using a Bluetooth speaker.
    Took a few times for the connection to be made but it is working.
    Will now leave it playing for a few hours to see if it runs OK.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin, AllZIC Radio, Caroline Flashback, Cesky rozhlas, Dandelion Radio, Europa Radio Jazz, Frequence3, FSK, JukeRadio, KlassikRadio.de, Linn Radio, Mother Earth, Naim Radio, Nova.fr, RadioBlues Flac, Radio Espace, Radio Swiss, RTE Ireland, Somehow Jazz, Supla Finland

Thanks for the update!
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's (SB2, SB3, Boom, Touch)
    Server: LMS on Pi3B+ 8.1.2 on PcP 7.0.1
    Network: Draytek, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, Ubiquiti PoE, 3x Ubiquity

PiZeroW?

Does this work with a PiZeroW and a USB bluetooth dongle? Because I'm really struggling to get this to work. I have pcp 5.0.0 installed (clean install), configured pcp for a bluetooth speaker. I can see the speaker/pcp in LMS, and can play music for about 1 minute. After that the audio gets very jittery, and after a few seconds just stops. If I'm ssh'ed into pcp at the time, then the connection is painstakingly slow. I guess something is hogging the CPU, but top updates so badly its hard to tell. During initial playback, squeezelite is only consuming 5-10% CPU.

Am I doing something wrong? Or does USB bluetooth + inbuilt WiFi on a PiZeroW just not work?

hi cpd73,

Unfortunately I don't have any blue tooth devices. Hopefully one of the other guys will jump in.

But I was working on something else recently on a 512MB RPi and I just about ran out of RAM. Weird things started happening.

regards
    Greg

I test bluetooth on a ZeroW all the time. But I'm using the onboard Bluetooth and wifi. What USB stick are you trying?

The problem stems from Bluetooth are very close to the same frequencies. When you use the onboard Wifi and Bluetooth the chipset does broadcast sharing, meaning it does wifi traffic, and then does bluetooth, alternating back and forth. Since you are using different devices, they don't know they need to live together, what you can try is to put the bluetooth stick on an extension cable to get it away from the ZeroW. Also, make sure you have disabled the onboard bluetooth.
    Last edited by paul-; 2019-06-14 at 14:35.