Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Empty entries in add. browse mode menus (for library view)

Hi.

What I did:
    using LMS search I searched for all tracks with KEYWORD in the comments tag and then I saved this search as a (virtual) library view.
    In the advanced LMS settings I used additional browse modes to create an artist menu based on the new library view.

Here's the problem:
    some artists in that new menu have album entries listed that shouldn't be there and are empty when you click on them. These "incorrect" / empty albums are compilation albums and they do feature a track from that artist, just not one that has KEYWORD in the comment tag.
    This behaviour is not limited to the artist menu. If I create a genre menu for this library view and select a genre it may list some empty/"incorrect" artists for this genre.

All of my compilation albums have their compilation flag set to true and their album artist is always "Various Artists". Looking at the LMS code this seems to be how LMS expects compilations to be tagged. I use a single, configurable list of artists, compilations are listed under each artist, and the TPE2 MP3 tag is treated as album artist. "Filter Contributor Roles..." is set to only show tracks/albums matching the selected role for an artist.
    I've changed these settings and experimented with them but no other/different combination of the above settings got rid of the empty/"incorrect" entries.

If you can think of any way of how to solve this that I haven't tried yet please let me know.
    Last edited by afriend; 2019-08-25 at 03:12.

Hi,

please change the value in the settings for "various Artists" to something else like "Artists on Samplers".
    Using the same Artistname like in that settings is / was a common "dont do that" years ago and i am pretty sure that isnt changed.
    If that doesnt help you can add me to your ignorelist and call me stupid or whatever you like.

The next thing i figured out - and what maybe is also a hint of your "my other lms doesnt do this" is:
    A fresh install must not the same as a update from a very old lms - even when that lms reports itself as version 7.92.

If your reports are just from the "old" and not the virtual lms....
    eg if your running your lms on OSX and captured the installation from a backup/timemachine - things can go wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    please change the value in the settings for "Various Artists" to something else like "Artists on Samplers".
    I did as you said, and I even changed the setting to list compilations as a group under that name. I restarted LMS inbetween to be sure. Unfortunately, it didn't have the desired effect.

Using the same Artistname like in that settings is / was a common "dont do that" years ago and i am pretty sure that isnt changed.
    I didn't know that. I've always had it that way and never thought about it because LMS didn't give me any problems with compilations until now.

you can add me to your ignorelist and call me stupid or whatever you like.
    I'm generally considered a polite person who wouldn't do that. Sorry, no exception for you here.

The next thing i figured out - and what maybe is also a hint of your "my other lms doesnt do this" is:
    A fresh install must not the same as a update from a very old lms - even when that lms reports itself as version 7.92.
    If your reports are just from the "old" and not the virtual lms....
    eg if your running your lms on OSX and captured the installation from a backup/timemachine - things can go wrong...
    That's a good point. So I wiped every trace of LMS (all caches, preferences file, everything I could find and think of, I hope I haven't overlooked anything) from my system and then I did a clean install of LMS on my system (macOS 10.13.6, not the virtual machine) + a rescan.
    Unfortunately the problem is still there. I'm starting to get used to the idea of living with it.

Just checking in... now at LMS 7.9.2-1558382969

has anybody else experienced the problem I tried to described above and the linked thread? I'm still getting those empty albums in places where they shouldn't be.
    Thank you.