Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Streaming Hardware For Audiophile and Hi Res File Support

I currently run LMS on a Synology NAS. That supports a Squeezebox Touch with the EOD modification. The S/PDIF on the SB Touch feeds an internal DAC on my Hegel H190 integrated amp.

Is this configuration still considered the state of the art for an audiophile with a fairly large library of Hi Res files? Are there Raspberry Pi configurations, for example, that sound better and struggle less with Hi Res files?

Comments/suggestions appreciated.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______
    Tim

Living Room: Hegel H190 w/built-in DAC and Renderer supported by squeeze2upnp plugin, Spendor A4 Speakers
    Bedroom: Boom
    Controller: iPeng
    Server: Synology DS-218+

Any difference in sound will be be subjective anyway and to find out you will have to either buy "stuff" or borrow "stuff"
    I have used HiFiBerry spdif hats on a raspberry pi and now use a Allo Digione (bought second hand) into a NorthStar Essensio DAC.

I can compare the same stream via USB and Co-ax inputs into the dac and find little if any difference to my old ears.

Your amplifier is also a DLNA streamer so you should be able to stream directly from the NAS. This would give you any opportunity to compare the two different methods of playback.

In what way does the SBTouch struggle with the music files?

Which LMS version are you using on the NAS?

You might, for example, effect more change in your perception of the sound quality by using/comparing different speakers. (For what it's worth, your current set-up is,IMO, deffo not to be sneezed at.)

Ronnie, who is more "outside" of Toronto than the OP

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Your amplifier is also a DLNA streamer so you should be able to stream directly from the NAS. This would give you any opportunity to compare the two different methods of playback.

In what way does the SBTouch struggle with the music files?

Which LMS version are you using on the NAS?)
    NAS is a DS-218+ running LMS 7.7.6-116. The system was breaking up and stuttering on a 192/24 file.

I have tried the amp's DLNA capabilities using UPnPBridge/squeeze2upnp - the LMS plugin. The sound was terrific and I loved the user experience (i.e.: a headless Squeezebox). I stopped using this configuration when I discovered the plugin wouldn't play my hi res files. I got in touch with the author and he confirmed higher bit rates are a challenge for his plugin. If I could get DLNA to work solidly with all my files, I'd be all set!

Any suggestions very much appreciated.
    Last edited by ShutterShock; 2018-08-07 at 07:57.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______
    Tim

Living Room: Hegel H190 w/built-in DAC and Renderer supported by squeeze2upnp plugin, Spendor A4 Speakers

What has worked best for me with Hi Res audio and the SBT

Hello
    This is my first post on this forum, but I have used info from here for years.
    I have been using a squeezebox touch for 10 years now and I just keep finding ways of getting better sound out of it.
    When I first got my SBT I just used the on-board DAC connected to an Audiolab three box amp (pre and two power amps) and a pair of EB Acoustics stand mount speakers. I eventually got a NAS to work with it and tried an old Arcam DAC with it. Nothing special, but it was convenient. Then four years ago, my wife indulged me a massive upgrade and I bought a pair of ATC SMC 40 speakers, and I got and second hand ATC P150 (so 150watts) power amp and a CDA2 pre with built in CD and DAC. I also gave up on the NAS box and went for having a dedicated PC for my music.
    This was a truly stunning upgrade, but I found myself moving to vinyl to get the best sound out of the speakers.
    Going back to the SBT, I set up the EDO applet and tried the optical V digital connects and didn't notice much difference. Then this year I got a second hand DAC - a Chord 2Qute. The was a very fine upgrade and started giving my vinyl a run for its money. I bought (second hand because I am tight) separate power supplies for both the SBT and the 2Qute - small but noticeable differences. Then one day while reading this forum I noticed someone writing that the EDO applet could make the USB socket into a USB output from the SBT to the DAC. I had assumed this was a bad idea, but was curious enough to get a USB cord from my printer and give it a go. So switched everything off, connected it up, switched on the SBT went to the EDO applet and selected USB source, and it said ôconnect to 2Quteö - that seemed too good to be true. Well it wasn't! Listening to music was now a revelation - I was absolutely blown away. I have since put in a 15cm silver USB cable (and it makes a difference) from the SBT to the 2Qute.
    I can hear the difference if I don't use the separate power supplies on the SBT or the 2Qute, if I change cables and especially if I have hi res material V just a CD rip. I seriously have no noise floor. I can't see the point in vinyl anymore as it simply isn't near as good as going from the SBT to the 2Qute via USB.
    I use a dedicated PC for my music files. It is backed up every night and is quite fast. I only use WIFI to the SBT and have no drop outs. Of course there are better systems out there, but we are stunned every day we listen to this.
    Curiously last year before we get the 2Qute, I made a Raspberry pi digi only box (using Hiberry), and it was such a downgrade that I would never consider it again.
    So, yes a SBT can be at the centre of a high end transparent system. I simply can't see any point in changing it, as it is so obviously not a weak spot (yet!).
    If you have speakers that are totally revealing, you can go a very long way with the SBS and Hi Res audio is the way to go.

I had a look at the manual for the Hegel, and there's no mention of being able to handle 24/192 anywhere.
    If it were capable of handling 24/192 on any of the inputs they would state so - it widens the scope for potential purchasers.

My Touch is quite happy dishing out 24/192 files to my 24/192 capable DAC over coaxial SPDIF.
    Chris :)

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    I had a look at the manual for the Hegel, and there's no mention of being able to handle 24/192 anywhere.
    If it were capable of handling 24/192 on any of the inputs they would state so - it widens the scope for potential purchasers.

My Touch is quite happy dishing out 24/192 files to my 24/192 capable DAC over coaxial SPDIF.
    Stratmangler - can your DAC accept USB? If it can, try your SBT to your DAC - only take 15 minutes to try! I always assumed USB was somehow inferior; I guess I thought USB was kind of computer stuff and coax / optical was hifi stuff - that was a misconception.

Like Chris, I have had a bit of a google and found this

http://www.audioreference.co.nz/prod...irplay-spotify

But no info on the dac seems to be provided by the mfg (not that I can find).

I would suggest the OP tries BubbleUPnP with a cheapo (ie, borrowed) Android phone, maybe also e-mail Hegel.

I used to run LMS on a Qnap NAS, but now mostly use a rpi3B+ (occasionally with a lapse into mac-mini land)

Ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by ballhill View Post
    Stratmangler - can your DAC accept USB? If it can, try your SBT to your DAC - only take 15 minutes to try! I always assumed USB was somehow inferior; I guess I thought USB was kind of computer stuff and coax / optical was hifi stuff - that was a misconception.
    No, my DAC does not have a USB port on it.
    Chris :)

Hegel DAC

Thank you very much everyone. This is a lot to digest.

First, the backstory... Hegel will have a software upgrade to the H190 shortly that will enable the amp/dac as a Roon endpoint. I was planning to head this way after having been a loyal SB user since the days of the SB1. With that in mind, my SB Touch is for sale. At least that was the case until I discovered some things about Roon library management I didn't like.

So, here I am with a buyer interested in my SB Touch.

While not confirmed, the H190's DAC only supports files up to 96/24. Does anyone have any experience with the UPnPBridge/squeeze2upnp plugin for LMS at that datarate? I suspect I hadn't set that because I wouldn't have known when I tested the UPnP capabilities a few months ago.

I don't dispute everyone's love for the SBT - I feel it too, but if I can get this plugin to work, the H190 becomes the player as well as the DAC.

Comments very much appreciated.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by ShutterShock View Post
    Thank you very much everyone. This is a lot to digest.

First, the backstory... Hegel will have a software upgrade to the H190 shortly that will enable the amp/dac as a Roon endpoint. I was planning to head this way after having been a loyal SB user since the days of the SB1. With that in mind, my SB Touch is for sale. At least that was the case until I discovered some things about Roon library management I didn't like.

So, here I am with a buyer interested in my SB Touch.

While not confirmed, the H190's DAC only supports files up to 96/24. Does anyone have any experience with the UPnPBridge/squeeze2upnp plugin for LMS at that datarate? I suspect I hadn't set that because I wouldn't have known when I tested the UPnP capabilities a few months ago.

I don't dispute everyone's love for the SBT - I feel it too, but if I can get this plugin to work, the H190 becomes the player as well as the DAC.

Comments very much appreciated.
    I am not sure if gapless playback is supported when using squeeze2upnp but if this is important to you I would check.

Edit. Maybe I was thinking of the Chromecast plugin.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by slartibartfast; 2018-08-07 at 13:51.