Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15
  1. #11
    Senior Member Howard Passman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,211
    I would certainly hope the Transporter would outperform the Allo. :-) The only source I have that I like better than the Transporter is a 1998 REVOX B226 Signature.

    I don't think you could really expect the RPI/Allo combo to be much better than any run of the mill CD player. I assume you're using FLAC or comparable files.

    Keep that pi/Boss for outside or tabletop :-)

    Bests,

    Howard


    Quote Originally Posted by fphredd View Post
    I bought the pi and allo for the purpose of using my primary stereo when putting on concert video. Since it was going through the same pre-amp, figured if the allo sounded better I'd sell or give away on my Touch's. So we did the unscientific A/B and, as I said, we both agreed Touch wins.

    Interestingly, a friend bought the allo DigiOne and we did the same test vs his Transporter both going into the DAC input of his Burmester. I was sure there would be no difference on the pass through. Again, the allo lost. Again, no science, just unanimity.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Passman View Post
    I would certainly hope the Transporter would outperform the Allo. :-) The only source I have that I like better than the Transporter is a 1998 REVOX B226 Signature.
    I honestly thought the DigiOne just passing off the digital signal to his Burmester would outperform the Transporter for that purpose, or at least match it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Passman View Post
    Keep that pi/Boss for outside or tabletop :-)

    Bests,

    Howard
    The pi/Boss sits in the kitchen...close enough

  3. #13
    Member wtnh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    US - East Coast
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Passman View Post
    I would certainly hope the Transporter would outperform the Allo. :-) The only source I have that I like better than the Transporter is a 1998 REVOX B226 Signature.

    I don't think you could really expect the RPI/Allo combo to be much better than any run of the mill CD player. I assume you're using FLAC or comparable files.

    Keep that pi/Boss for outside or tabletop :-)

    Bests,

    Howard
    I would agree that it would be tough to match the Transporter, but given good power supplies, I would argue that the RPI/Boss combo is far better than a run of the mill CD player. For one thing, you can't match the jitter specs of the Boss in Master mode with a typical CD player. I have an old Sony ES deck and it is good, but not as good as the Boss - and it can't play 24 bit Flac files . For $60 US, it is a good value.

    Cheers

    Whit

  4. #14
    Senior Member Howard Passman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,211
    I agree and love the new Avatar :-)

    Howard


    Quote Originally Posted by wtnh View Post
    I would agree that it would be tough to match the Transporter, but given good power supplies, I would argue that the RPI/Boss combo is far better than a run of the mill CD player. For one thing, you can't match the jitter specs of the Boss in Master mode with a typical CD player. I have an old Sony ES deck and it is good, but not as good as the Boss - and it can't play 24 bit Flac files . For $60 US, it is a good value.

    Cheers

    Whit

  5. #15
    Member wtnh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    US - East Coast
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Passman View Post
    I agree and love the new Avatar :-)

    Howard
    LOL - as a kid, I was fascinated with Reddy Kilowatt - so combining him with a tube is just plain fun

    Whit

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •