Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I would certainly hope the Transporter would outperform the Allo. :-) The only source I have that I like better than the Transporter is a 1998 REVOX B226 Signature.

I don't think you could really expect the RPI/Allo combo to be much better than any run of the mill CD player. I assume you're using FLAC or comparable files.

Keep that pi/Boss for outside or tabletop :-)

Bests,

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by fphredd View Post
    I bought the pi and allo for the purpose of using my primary stereo when putting on concert video. Since it was going through the same pre-amp, figured if the allo sounded better I'd sell or give away on my Touch's. So we did the unscientific A/B and, as I said, we both agreed Touch wins.

Interestingly, a friend bought the allo DigiOne and we did the same test vs his Transporter both going into the DAC input of his Burmester. I was sure there would be no difference on the pass through. Again, the allo lost. Again, no science, just unanimity.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Passman View Post
    I would certainly hope the Transporter would outperform the Allo. :-) The only source I have that I like better than the Transporter is a 1998 REVOX B226 Signature.
    I honestly thought the DigiOne just passing off the digital signal to his Burmester would outperform the Transporter for that purpose, or at least match it.

Bests,

Howard
    The pi/Boss sits in the kitchen...close enough

I don't think you could really expect the RPI/Allo combo to be much better than any run of the mill CD player. I assume you're using FLAC or comparable files.

Bests,

Howard
    I would agree that it would be tough to match the Transporter, but given good power supplies, I would argue that the RPI/Boss combo is far better than a run of the mill CD player. For one thing, you can't match the jitter specs of the Boss in Master mode with a typical CD player. I have an old Sony ES deck and it is good, but not as good as the Boss - and it can't play 24 bit Flac files . For $60 US, it is a good value.

Cheers

Whit

I agree and love the new Avatar :-)

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by wtnh View Post
    I would agree that it would be tough to match the Transporter, but given good power supplies, I would argue that the RPI/Boss combo is far better than a run of the mill CD player. For one thing, you can't match the jitter specs of the Boss in Master mode with a typical CD player. I have an old Sony ES deck and it is good, but not as good as the Boss - and it can't play 24 bit Flac files . For $60 US, it is a good value.

Cheers

Whit

I agree and love the new Avatar :-)

Howard
    LOL - as a kid, I was fascinated with Reddy Kilowatt - so combining him with a tube is just plain fun

Whit