Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

embedded quotes truncated in FLAC+CUE tag

hi all, would appreciate any comments, please.

I use XLD on MacOS to rip to single FLAC + CUE.

This setup means that XLD writes per-track tags only to the CUE file, as text, not also in the flac file's Vorbis comment block.

XLD sometimes writes tags containing embedded quotes, presumably when the source DB's tags have them, but without any escapting, e.g:

TITLE "Twelve duos for 2 Horns in C major, K. 496a/487 "Kegelduette": XI. Minuetto"

It seems that LMS truncates these entries at the first embedded quote, taking that to be the end of the string (not unreasonably, perhaps), rather than reading to the end of the line. That results in an LMS tag of:

Twelve duos for 2 Horns in C major, K. 496a/487

dropping the remainder "Kegelduette": XI. Minuetto"

I appreciate that FLAC+CUE is not a favourite method, but is there any way I can get LMS to preserve the quotes, i.e. strip of leading and trailing quote and use everything that's left?

Or do I need to manually change all these entries in my CUE files? It's a hundred or so entries, so I'm putting off some scripting to see if it can be done.

Alternatively, can LMS cope with embedded quotes in CUE tags, if they are escaped?

thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by cdmackay View Post
    Alternatively, can LMS cope with embedded quotes in CUE tags, if they are escaped?
    meant to add: I tried escaping the quotes:

TITLE "blah "bzz""

with the inner quotes escaped with \ (which I can't show above), but that merely produced:

blah \

as the tag. So quotes can't be escaped with \, at least.