Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Sounds reasonable. One thing related to iPeng, although I'm don't think this really affects your plugin since you don't sync your virtual players to real ones and no sync change is involved:
    If you do a "QuickSwitch" within an already established player group, iPeng only switches the "power" state of the affected player (so turns on the target and turns off the source) without changing the sync assignment.
    ah ... that's good to know, I did not try that and it's not going to work if the option to power on/off all group with master is enabled. In that case, as soon as you power off the master, all players go off as well and the group is disassembled, which makes sense in the context of user on/off of a group. I'd have to think of a way to identify the context of the request, but that one seems very tough
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2018-08-02 at 12:38.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

I did more investigation and I cannot make it work when you use power on/off to switch player when they belong to a same group. I understand the optimization, but I cannot guess your intention when I receive a power off command for the Group virtual master, I must dissemble the Group which means stopping all members, including the ‘target’ player. This then ruins the switch attempt

So is there a chance that, when a player involved in the switch by any mean (source, target, master of the source) is a Group, then you don’t do any optimization and just use sync/unsync? In my modified version of Triode's SwitchPlayer plugin, this is what happens (just do all the time a sync the unsync) and it seems to work 100%.

There is a similar problem that happens when switching from group to group, when you choose the source to be not the virtual player but a member. I need to investigate this one more, although switching from a member instead of the master sounds like a bad idea. I guess I'll let some of these corner cases unresolved and leave that to the intelligence of the user
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2018-08-04 at 23:41.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    So is there a chance that, when a player involved in the switch by any mean (source, target, master of the source) is a Group, then you don’t do any optimization and just use sync/unsync? In my modified version of Triode's SwitchPlayer plugin, this is what happens (just do all the time a sync the unsync) and it seems to work 100%.
    It's not an optimization, it's a different use case, And I'm surprised it applies to your group players at all, will have to play around with it a but.
    The different use case is that you want to switch to another room WITHIN a group that is already synced. I can't sync/unsync on an already synced group.
    But aren't your group players always on (all of them) and can't sync with other players? So this should not apply.

The use case is like this: You've got a group of players, say kitchen, dining room, living room.
    You listen to music in the kitchen only, so the other two players are off, but now you want to move to the living room and turn on that player and turn off the player in the kitchen, all with a single swipe.

This should not be a use case with your groups since all players in the group are always playing, is iPeng even doing anything in this case?
    If yes, I should probably change that (can't try it right now but later today).

There is a similar problem that happens when switching from group to group, when you choose the source to be not the virtual player but a member. I need to investigate this one more, although switching from a member instead of the master sounds like a bad idea. I guess I'll let some of these corner cases unresolved and leave that to the intelligence of the user
    That's interesting. Does iPeng do that? This should be avoidable since the master in a group will always be playing. I should be able to use that instead of the slave player but I'll have to re-check how handle grouping/ungrouping between two groups.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    It's not an optimization, it's a different use case, And I'm surprised it applies to your group players at all, will have to play around with it a but.
    The different use case is that you want to switch to another room WITHIN a group that is already synced. I can't sync/unsync on an already synced group.
    But aren't your group players always on (all of them) and can't sync with other players? So this should not apply.

The use case is like this: You've got a group of players, say kitchen, dining room, living room.
    You listen to music in the kitchen only, so the other two players are off, but now you want to move to the living room and turn on that player and turn off the player in the kitchen, all with a single swipe.

This should not be a use case with your groups since all players in the group are always playing, is iPeng even doing anything in this case?
    If yes, I should probably change that (can't try it right now but later today).
    You're right, I misspoke. But in the case you describe, then iPeng switches off all the players, except the living room. By doing that, if they belong to a group (say Whole House), iPeng turns off Whole House as well which breaks up and stops the group, including living room. Should sync/unsync have been used, it would have worked, although contorded. If you use SwitchPlayer, it does sync living room to the existing Whole House (which was already synced), then un-sync it from Whose House which then stops Whole House but keeps Living room, as the Transfer function takes care of the case where the "targeted" transfered player is part of the "source" group.
    Anyway, I don't suggest you do that in iPeng, but maybe when you do use swich off/on if you could switch off all players *except* the Virtual Player, then it would work. Maybe that's a simple enough modification.

That's interesting. Does iPeng do that? This should be avoidable since the master in a group will always be playing. I should be able to use that instead of the slave player but I'll have to re-check how handle grouping/ungrouping between two groups.
    Yes it does, but as said, these are corner cases. I'm tryng to deal with them but they are messy (limited success so far). I think I'll stop here and if you are able to handle the power on/off thing, then that's good enough

[edit]: I would assume, maybe wrongly, that (putting aside my Group Player) when a user switches from a syncgroup member (not the master) to something else, he wants the syncgroup to stop, and music to resume whereever the destination is. So logically, he should not choose the member as the source, but should use the Master as the source.
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2018-08-05 at 22:49.