Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cured View Post
    I already did some research on the web and found out that the GPIO-connectors could be of some help. I already bought a normally open button (I already soldered two female GPIO-wires to it) but I donĺt know how to connect it to the Allo Boss which is on top of the Raspberry.
    I think the simplest solution would be this: https://howchoo.com/g/mwnlytk3zmm/ho...r-raspberry-pi
    But not sure how that would interfere with the Allo Boss DAC.

I have been using the RemotePi board, although this does require some manual configuration in PcP. It has the advantage of adding an IR remote, which also controls the power off and on.

For starting up and shutting down my Raspberry Pi (a 3B+ running pCP with LMS), I have set it up with one of the Pimoroni OnOff SHIMs. It looks as though you can solder it directly to the GPIO pins and still fit a DAC HAT on top (though I haven't done so). I have added a little momentary button rather than use the tiny switch on the card itself - this lights up red when the Pi is powered up. This seems to work well, and I've used it on two Raspberry Pi based LMS servers, one intended to be portable, the other for use in my office at work (if we ever return from working at home).

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.0.1/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP6.1.0/LMS8.0.0/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Hi there,

Thanks for your kind answers. I think I'm looking for an other solution. I wasn't planning any soldering. I think it is not necessary (and I'm not that good in soldering...). The Allo Boss 1.2 DAC has an own set of GPIO-pins (also see the full technical documentation). See the image below.

Name:  Allo Boss DAC top view.JPG
Views: 214
Size:  75.0 KB

I think it should be possible to connect the switch to these GPIO-pins. Below is the layout of the pins. Since I'm not a technician, I have really no clue which of the pins I should use to attach the switch.

Name:  Boss J19 Pin Out details.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  34.6 KB

Below a photo of the normally open switch I made:

Name:  NO switch.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  114.2 KB

Last but not least: I think I should adjust some settings in PiCorePlayer to make the switch work. I have no idea how this works (besides the fact that I understand there is some relation to the GPIO-pins...

Name:  Power off and shutdown settings PiCorePlayer.JPG
Views: 209
Size:  34.6 KB

I hope you can help me out. I think I understand a lot of it but just not enough to make the right decisions...I don't want to damage the Raspberry or the DAC...Thanks again for your kind help.

Quote Originally Posted by Cured View Post
    Thanks for your kind answers. I think I'm looking for an other solution. I wasn't planning any soldering. I think it is not necessary (and I'm not that good in soldering...). The Allo Boss 1.2 DAC has an own set of GPIO-pins (also see the full technical documentation). See the image below.

I think it should be possible to connect the switch to these GPIO-pins. Below is the layout of the pins. Since I'm not a technician, I have really no clue which of the pins I should use to attach the switch.

Below a photo of the normally open switch I made:

Last but not least: I think I should adjust some settings in PiCorePlayer to make the switch work. I have no idea how this works (besides the fact that I understand there is some relation to the GPIO-pins...
    The switch looks good, but from what I can see from the linked pictures you can only use a GPIO pin on this DAC to trigger a power off (GPIO22-pin 14 on the DAC to GND pin 16 on the DAC, should achieve the default PcP setting of "Active high - Pull down").

To wake up the Pi from deep sleep you would need to use GPIO3 though (which they don't have listed), or an external power board.

But given that the Pi uses fairly little power when turned on, you could consider using one of the GPIO's with the switch to only toggle the LMS "soft power" on the player and just leave it running.
    Last edited by jeroen2; 2020-11-03 at 12:06.

Hi,

The Allo Boss DAC allows you to power your "Pi+DAC" by mini-USB on either the Pi or the Boss itself (as long as keep the setting on J25 for them to be powered together).

First, if you want any software-based shutdown to work, you will need to put the power on the Pi itself, then pass the shutdown signal via an accessible GPIO. For example you can use GPIO17 which is accessible from the J19 connector. I am not even sure where to connect the other PIN of the switch though... I would need to look at my docs.

I don't think you can power on your system without a dedicated power board... but I am no electronician and I hope someone can prove me wrong. My own experience is with a DAC (audiophonics) that has a dedicated power management circuit, that can manage the power ON sequence while the Pi itself is off...

RemotePi Board with Picoreplayer

Quote Originally Posted by jeroen2 View Post
    I think the simplest solution would be this:
    But not sure how that would interfere with the Allo Boss DAC.

I have been using the RemotePi board[/URL], although this does require some manual configuration[/URL] in PcP. It has the advantage of adding an IR remote, which also controls the power off and on.
    @ jeroen2, just found your posts in the forum about using the RemotePi board from msldigital. Have ordered one immediatly and now waiting for delivery. What I ask you, could you summarize what you have done in pcp environment to get it work?
    I am new in Pcp and Raspi (have Raspi4B with LMS as Server and squeezelite using a Topping D10s DAC) and my Linux knowledge is limited. Checked also the pcp documentation project, but could not find info regarding RemotePi for pcp.

Best regards

bla4711

Quote Originally Posted by bla4711 View Post
    @ jeroen2, just found your posts in the forum about using the RemotePi board from msldigital. Have ordered one immediatly and now waiting for delivery. What I ask you, could you summarize what you have done in pcp environment to get it work?
    I am new in Pcp and Raspi (have Raspi4B with LMS as Server and squeezelite using a Topping D10s DAC) and my Linux knowledge is limited. Checked also the pcp documentation project, but could not find info regarding RemotePi for pcp.
    Hi Bla, thanks for asking. Credits would go to Ralphy, Paul and Greg though, who explained to me how to do this. :-)

I've been meaning to document this, but haven't gotten around to it. Getting the RemotePi board to work requires two scripts for the shutdown function, and you need to install Lirc if you want to use the remote. I can provide some more details later this weekend.

Hi Bla, thanks for asking. Credits would go to Ralphy, Paul and Greg though, who explained to me how to do this. :-)

I've been meaning to document this, but haven't gotten around to it. Getting the RemotePi board to work requires two scripts for the shutdown function, and you need to install Lirc if you want to use the remote. I can provide some more details later this weekend.
    Hi jeroen, great, I guess this is also interesting for many other picoreplayer user (have not found so many remote switch off/on options for Raspi 4

ciao

bla

Quote Originally Posted by bla4711 View Post
    Hi jeroen, great, I guess this is also interesting for many other picoreplayer user (have not found so many remote switch off/on options for Raspi 4
    Hi Bla, you can check out this and let me know if this works for you.
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...=1#post1004729

Ciao, J.

Hi Bla, you can check out this and let me know if this works for you.
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...=1#post1004729

Ciao, J.
    hello jeroen, was working perfect, have written some comments in the instruction thread you created for this

many thanks again

bla