Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: LMS and MQA

LMS and MQA

Quote Originally Posted by left channel View Post
    Congratulations on your successful rabbit hunt! The Tidal plug-in does not support MQA pass-through, so there's nothing else to do but sit back and enjoy the music - perhaps with a beer and a nice plate of rabbit. Or rarebit. Or something.
    Will do.

LMS and MQA

Quote Originally Posted by left channel View Post
    Congratulations on your successful rabbit hunt! The Tidal plug-in does not support MQA pass-through, so there's nothing else to do but sit back and enjoy the music - perhaps with a beer and a nice plate of rabbit. Or rarebit. Or something.
    Well, I've had things up and running for a few days now. I've got 30 days left on my Trial period from Music Direct on the Pro-Ject, and my initial impressions are that MQA has definitely not bowled me over and for the other 99% of my music, the majority of which is 44.1 FLAC or AIFF files, I'm not sure that my old HRT Streamer isn't more listenable, more natural. The Pro-Ject has a clarity and perhaps a resolution that the HRT Streamer II doesn't have, but listenability is probably more important to me nowadays, and occasionally I hear some artifacts with female vocals through the Pro-Ject that bug me a little. Could be more accurate, but over the years i've changed into someone who doesn't want any pain while listening. It's a fine line. I think I'm pretty secure in saying that the Allo USBridge Streamer with the iFi Power supply is a fairly significant improvement over the Raspberry Pi. I definitely like the Pro-Ject, but if I take MQA away, then there are other very good options - I'm personally thinking of Schiit or Chord - say Mojo. But I've still got time. It took a few days to get the transition from one DAC to the other down. The Allo has settings in its gui that you have to change, which is what they send it with now, but at times other settings get changed when the switch is made that you can only get to from the terminal based DietPi Launcher. Without knowing a little about how to navigate that, I'd still be scratching my head. As much as I say I'm not a techie, I kind of think they should have left well enough alone.

@dainapoo you may be able to improve the S2D's performance by using external power from a linear PSU, if you're not doing so already. But in the end it simply has a sound signature that is different from the other DACs you mentioned. The S2D has a neutral crisp resolving sound typical of DACs designed around ESS chips. I much prefer the "velvet sound" of DACs designed around AKM chips, including my Schiit Modi 2U and NuPrime DAC-9. I also prefer warm-sounding tube-like amplifiers. The vast majority of S2D owners really like its sound though.
    LMS: SGC microJukebox Ľ Players: Duet, Touch (two), ultraRendu, Mac SqueezePlay, Win Squeezelite-X Ľ Control apps: Android Squeezer, Win Squeezelite-X

LMS and MQA

Hey there. Thought I'd check back in and update my situation for you. So after a full trial period I finally decided to send the S2D back. No problems with and it sounded good but I honestly couldn't determine much difference between it and my old HRT Streamer II. It was different but I began to realize after going back and forth that the biggest improvement was coming from the Allo Box itself, which was supposed to happen as it has a superior USB interface. I had just purchased this just before the S2D and I really had not had the time to dissect where the improvements were coming from. I use an iFi power supply with it and used one with the SD2. So I decided to send the S2D back for now and get accustomed to the Allo's sound. I'll keep investigating DAC's, be they AKM or Sabre or Ladder based. After listening to a sampling of MQA and DSD files, I think I might have preferred DSD, and in either case, most of my files are 16/44.1 FLAC files anyway, and the differences aren't such that I'm going to replace what I have, even if I could with high res, except here and there. I'm definitely going to explore Qobuz. I'm trying to wait till it actually gets here but I'm losing my patience and I've got a VPN to sign up with, but it's fall 2018 - release it already! Well anyway, I'll pick this thread up when I finally pull the trigger on a DAC. Been looking at the Holo Spring R2R DAC. Little more than I want to spend but characteristics described sounds like what I'm into.

Best-
    Last edited by dainapoo; 2018-10-29 at 03:16.

Thanks for the update. I've been following posts by Qobuz folks closely, and it seems they are probably going to launch the service in the USA in November. Maybe Canada too, I'm not sure about that. I would wait. As for DACs who knows maybe your old DAC and the S2D have similar sound signatures, but honestly not everyone can hear the the differences audiophiles obsess about, and if you can't then it's actually a blessing. As long as the digital transmission is cleaned up by your Allo now, maybe that's all you need.
    LMS: SGC microJukebox Ľ Players: Duet, Touch (two), ultraRendu, Mac SqueezePlay, Win Squeezelite-X Ľ Control apps: Android Squeezer, Win Squeezelite-X