Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    That is why I said "Giving the URL to the streamtheworld .pls should work because LMS parses the returned contents." above.
    The contents of the .pls are liable to change - i.e. the stream itself - but the playlist file (.pls) should always be right (as long as they stay with StreamTheWorld as their provider and STW do not change how things work and the underlying stream does not become unplayable on the devices).
    Last edited by Paul Webster; 2018-08-30 at 08:33. Reason: corrected typing error
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    That is why I said "Giving the URL to the streamtheworld .pls should work because LMS parses the returned contents." above.
    The contents of the .pls are liable to change - i.e. the stream itself 0 but the playlist file (.pls) should always be right (as long as they stay with StreamTheWorld as their provider and STW do not change how things work and the underlying stream does not become unplayable on the devices.
    Thanks for the repost. Now I understand your previous post better. I didn't realize the significance of a pls vs a static url until your comment and reading back through the thread. I still don't understand the "under the hood" mechanics behind how the pls can be dynamic, but no matter. My strength is electronics, not IT. Sometimes it's best to say "ok, it's working again"

I appreciate you pointing out that the pls route is bound to be more reliable, thanks.

Jim

Think of the .pls as a web page that contains some links.
    The contents of it can be changed by the streaming provider for various reasons (e.g. perhaps one server is heavily loaded so they want to direct the next listener to a different one) - but if you always start from there then you get the up-to-date links that are in it.
    LMS (and other players) knows how to parse the returned contents of the .pls - but if you ask the player what it is playing it will usually show you the discovered stream URL that was inside the .pls
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Think of the .pls as a web page that contains some links.
    The contents of it can be changed by the streaming provider for various reasons (e.g. perhaps one server is heavily loaded so they want to direct the next listener to a different one) - but if you always start from there then you get the up-to-date links that are in it.
    LMS (and other players) knows how to parse the returned contents of the .pls - but if you ask the player what it is playing it will usually show you the discovered stream URL that was inside the .pls
    Perfect. Very clear description. Thanks for taking the time. I learned something today, AND restored a lost station, AND it's bound to be more reliable!

Jim

Any way to listen to radio.com?

I've put something up to mysb.com - check out the app gallery.

--

Michael

Excellent!!

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    I've put something up to mysb.com - check out the app gallery.

--

Michael
    Thank you Michael!

It worked perfectly, installation was very clear just by scrolling (installed it via a boom).

Even though the previous (single station vs playlist) solution was still working, I appreciate the effort you put in here (and others will as well). I many explore other stations on Radio.com now that's it an app.

Many thanks again...

Jim