Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Can't get HDMI output working on piCorePlayer

I have a working piCorePlayer (ver 3.22) that was using a HiFiBerry DAC. But, now I want to change the output to the pi's HDMI port instead. But, I can't seem to get it to work. I get no sound at all.
    I've connected it using a high speed HDMI cable to both my Denon AVR and a TV and neither gets any audio from the pi. I've attached a screenshot of the config. I've tried various different settings in the "Output setting" box, but nothing worked.
    Any idea why I'm not getting anything?

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 350
Size:  237.5 KB

Are you sure you didn't disable the HDMI port on the tweaks page? Did you check the mixer volume, it should be on the Audio card control page.

Otherwise, every time I've tested it, it just works with the default settings.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Yeah, it was all set right.
    But, I did get HDMI to finally work. I just toggled the output back to the HiFiberry DAC and then back again to HDMI and it worked!
    Something must have glitched the 1st time I changed it.

However, I was disappointed to learn that the audio out the HDMI port doesn't support surround 5.1 flac files. That's what I was hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by tjp888 View Post
    However, I was disappointed to learn that the audio out the HDMI port doesn't support surround 5.1 flac files. That's what I was hoping for.
    It's an LMS limitation. After years of frustration I finally found multichannel FLAC nerdvana via Odroid C2 + LibreELEC. I've been running two different ones for several months now without any trouble. Some people claim a Pi works for them for surround, but it never has for me.

I still strongly prefer LMS for stereo/AC-3/DTS.

Is it not both LMS and squeezelite ? LMS wont recognize a 5.1 flac and squeezelite wont play them ?

I would love that then i would rip my hundradelar or so DVDA’s to 5.1 flac
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Is it not both LMS and squeezelite ? LMS wont recognize a 5.1 flac and squeezelite wont play them ?

The biggest obstacle is probably what LMS should do if one has 5.1 flac files and also players that are stereo only , then a downmix conversions is needed and it’s probably starts to be a lot of work to implement ?
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post

It's been a while since I've played around with this, but the way I remember it is that LMS will happily scan and serve a multichannel FLAC. But if you try to play one on an SB3, it will get so lost that it requires a power cycle. A Touch will play the file, but you'll obviously only get 2 channels of output. I don't know if you get an actual logical downmix or if you're just getting two of the channels.

But I have to repeat: It's been a while since I've tried. It's possible that I've incorrectly remembered the outcome and/or LMS has since changed its behavior.

I had always hoped there'd be a 5.1 Squeezebox some day. The Odroid C2 certainly works, but Kodi is nowhere near as nice as LMS and it's slightly annoying to be forced to add hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by atrocity View Post
    It's been a while since I've played around with this, but the way I remember it is that LMS will happily scan and serve a multichannel FLAC. But if you try to play one on an SB3, it will get so lost that it requires a power cycle. A Touch will play the file, but you'll obviously only get 2 channels of output. I don't know if you get an actual logical downmix or if you're just getting two of the channels.

But I have to repeat: It's been a while since I've tried. It's possible that I've incorrectly remembered the outcome and/or LMS has since changed its behavior.

I had always hoped there'd be a 5.1 Squeezebox some day. The Odroid C2 certainly works, but Kodi is nowhere near as nice as LMS and it's slightly annoying to be forced to add hardware.
    Yes that sounds plausible LMS does not really know the channel count . Perhaps Touchs flac decoder somehow manage to extract two channels , logical downmix seems unlikely there is no such functionality in LMS . You probably need to build the downmix into LMS .
    However if LMS sees the files , then it would be up to Squeezelite to use 5.1 properly when’s there is an HDMI output ?

Quote Originally Posted by atrocity View Post
    IIRC LMS does not track the number of channels in a file so as well as multichannel, I think single channel files depend on the player "interpretation".

If LMS was expected to support older players properly then LMS would have to be upgraded to handle channels in the same way as it handles sampling rates. Player should be have to be able to "report" how many channels are supported and LMS would need scanner to record how many channel in the source and more rules on how to transcode audio depending on on the number of channel in the source and destination. Lots of work.