Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Installing on a NAS

I'd like to move LMS and my music library to a NAS. The Wiki on this topic seems pretty far out of date.

Can anyone advise me on what type NAS I should get, and how to install LMS on it?

I don't need anything fancy. 2 TB of disk space would be great. Even greater if it's an SSD drive.

Will the Wiki instructions for Linkstations still work?
    FREE RADICAL
    RADIO!
    Hours of free radical MP3s.

I used to run LMS on a QNAP NAS, but I found it a hassle to maintain. Now I keep the files on the NAS and run LMS on a Raspberry Pi, which seems to work well for me. The Pi is running piCorePlayer.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9.2 with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS7.9.2 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

Installing on a NAS

> Can anyone advise me on what type NAS I should get, and how to install
    > LMS on it?

I think Synology currently has the best support for LMS. They have an
    "official" package (provided by Synology, but slightly outdated), as
    well as good community support. And IMHO they do a great job keeping
    their products up to date in terms of firmware, even years after the
    product release (I have a 2012 model which still gets updates!).

But as others mentioned: it's probably simpler to have a Raspberry Pi to
    run LMS, while using the NAS as the music file store only. It's likely
    better supported if you wanted to install one of the more advanced LMS
    plugins requiring some external helper application etc. (eg. Spotty
    ;-)). I've been running a piCorePlayer based LMS for over a year now,
    connected to an ancient ReadyNAS.

--

Michael

I concur that running LMS directly on a NAS is not the best approach these days.

I used to run on a QNAP but like others found that firmware updates caused serious issues which although I could always fix simply took up too much time.
    I initially moved LMS to a different Linux server but have always kept my music files on the QNAP which like Michael's ReadyNAS is now pretty ancient but still perfect as a file server.
    Later on I moved to a Pi + NAS setup and latterly back to a Linux server + NAS (I also run some other media software on the Linux box)
    If you are looking for a low power always on arrangement then Pi + NAS is the way to go. The Pi really needs to be wired though - it will work wireless but is prone to networking issues that you really don't need.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I concur that running LMS directly on a NAS is not the best approach these days.
    If you are buying a nas just to run LMS than I agree with you @d6jg.
    If you need a NAS anyway, why not install LMS on if a software package is available. Synology might be worth looking at. NAS these days are powerful enough to gave a responsive LMS experience.
    -LMS on Raspian Stretch -> 2x Radio
    -RPI 3 (Mopidy), Aune S6 - Exposure 3010S2 - PMC FB1i

Quote Originally Posted by pinkdot View Post
    If you are buying a nas just to run LMS than I agree with you @d6jg.
    If you need a NAS anyway, why not install LMS on if a software package is available. Synology might be worth looking at. NAS these days are powerful enough to gave a responsive LMS experience.
    I appreciate your involvement with Synology and if I was considering running on a NAS then I would, of course, choose Synology but in my case I have a perfectly good (3 actually) QNAP but it’s not powerful enough to run LMS. I prefer running on something else using an NFS mount to the QNAP.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

I have LMS running on a QNAP NAS, and I'm quite happy with it. I don't use the official QNAP LMS app, though. (they only support an old version, pretty out of date) And I wasn't interested in all the hoop jumping required to get the newer versions up and running directly. Instead, I use Docker.

QNAP's Container Station lets you deploy your favorite Docker containers on your NAS, and there are a handful of LMS images on DockerHub. This version seems to be the most popular:

https://hub.docker.com/r/larsks/logitech-media-server/

Container Station will let you pull down images directly from DockerHub. From there, a little configuration through their GUI, and away you go. It does require a bit of Docker knowledge, but it isn't too hard to pick up.

Installing on a NAS

I have 2 instances of LMS running on QNAP NAS’ and with the new Qpkg provided by digimaster it runs as well as it has ever run on any other platform (windows or pi) - including the support for spotty with no issues, Musicip (included). Available in the EUclup qpkg repository iirc. It might only run on the later versions of QTS (only 4.2 or later) but just runs and maybe intel only, but check because I think he was considering expanding supported environments.

I also run LMS on an Odroid and on a pi based on Max2play with an attached MSATA SSD for music (network wired) at work and is as close to plug and forget as you get (not bothered with MusicIP but use sugarcube to create dynamic mixes off the main NAS’ musicip database).

Bottom line - unless you are running 10 year old hardware or out of date SW, LMS can run perfectly on a QNAP or a Synology, Pi or Odroid with no hassle or maintenance overhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by yeomanspc; Yesterday at 00:53.