Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Resurrecting a neglected Boom

In addition to my 2 Squeezebox Classics I allready have I bought a used Boom. At first the seller wanted 75€ for it but I allready saw in the advertisement this Boom wasn't in the best shape. He also mentioned one speaker was broken. He allready bought a surround for it and some glue to repair it. So I offered him 50€. He agreed.

When I went to pick it up it looked even worse than in de ad. It was filthy. It was fully functional however exept for the broken speaker. The exterior on the other hand looked like it was pulled from a swamp. The rubber frontpanel was scratched and sticky (know problem), the speakergrilles were filled with debris and dirt, the entire thing was scratched up, the display was hazy... It looked horrible honestly. But I just drove over an hour to pick it up so I didn't want to go back empty-handed. I was lucky when he couldn't find de speaker surround anymore and offered another 10€ off the price. I have some experience in making worn out stuff look better again so for 40€ I agreed and took the poor thing home.

Name:  20180602_220028.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  128.2 KB

Name:  20180602_220033.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  154.6 KB

Name:  20180602_220040.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  213.5 KB

Name:  20180602_220048.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  216.9 KB

One home I started disassembling the unit. Under the speakergrills there also was a lot of dust and dirt. Inside however it was reasonably clean. Some solder joints look a bit corroded but I'm gonna clean these with some contact cleaner. Once apart it was time to start cleaning it. I started with the worn out rubber since that was the thing I wasn't sure about if it would clean up. So I started with some multi purpose foam cleaner and a magic eraser. I had some luck with this on a Logitech mouse with similar problems. It was more difficult then the mouse was but after about an hour of scrubbing the front panel an knob were nice and clean again. It looks nice and even and doesn't stick anymore. One downside was the lettering almost dissapeared but I can live with that. At least now it looks clean and feels nice to the touch.

Next up was the display panel. This had a lot of small scratches and blemishes and looked dull. So I took out the polishing machine and some polish. First I polished it gently with course polish and a relatively rough pad. Not to long at a time. The plastic is brittle and burns easily. Short sessions (about 10 second) with some cooling of in between did the trick. Most blemishes are gone and only the real deep scratches remain. I can live with those. Removing them would mean sanding down the display with a 2000 grit sanding paper and I'm not sure the plastic is strong enough to survive removing these scratches. After that I finished with a mild compound and a soft pad to remove most of the haze inflicted with the course pad. After a few times doing this the dislplay looks a lot better. There still is some micro hazing but it's not worse than a unit thats been cleaned with a rag a few times. My friend has a finishing polish witch contains a little wax. This should fill up most of this haze. Tomorrow I probably go and pick up that polish and apply it by hand. Then it should look good as new.

Name:  20180603_184045.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  214.6 KB

Nice!
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

The last thing I did today was cleaning the mounting plate and the speaker grilles. The mounting plate was cleaned with a microfibre cloth and some of the same multi purpose foam. The tweeter was done with a soft toothbrush and the same foam. Brushing it gently loosing the dirt and afterwards gently removing it with a microfibre cloth. The speakergrills were cleaned with a more course brush and the foam again finishing them of with a cloth. At some small spots the paint was gone on the grilles so I dabbed thes spots with a permanent marker. The spots were to small to justify a complete repaint of the grilles. You won't notice them anymore if you don't know they were there.

Name:  20180603_170135.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  229.1 KB

Name:  20180603_205749.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  228.7 KB

Name:  20180603_200605.jpg
Size:  209.6 KB

That's it for now. I still have to polish the outer case, repair the speaker and putting everything back together again. This will be done during the course of the week. I'll keep you guys updated with the progress I make.

Thanks edwin.

Some more pictures of the display-unit. As you can see, the big scratches are still there but much less noticable. All the small scuffs and pitts are smooth now. Once assembled it will look decent.

Name:  20180603_211846.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  88.4 KB

Name:  20180603_212501.jpg
Size:  237.4 KB

And a picture of most of the tools I used for this.

Name:  20180603_180358.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  137.9 KB

It would be wise to replace both speakers or at least the rubber/foam surrounds, these units have a very high failure rate.

I replaced the surrounds on both woofers on my Boom, good as new.
    Server - LMS 7.9.2 Pi4B 4GB/Flirc case/pCP 6.0.0-b7 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi

At first I'm gonna try it with just contact glue. A small bead of glue surrounding the entire speaker. I had some luck with this in the past. A midrange driver in an old set of speakers had a similar problem. After gluing it with contact glue it played on for years. I plan on using the Boom with a subwoofer so the speaker won't need to go very low anymore so it should work. The seller allready made the mistake however of trying to glue it with superglue. That could mess things up. Superglue hardens and puts more stress on the allready weak surround. I hope this won't affect the process.

If it fails I allways can buy a pair of new surrounds and replace them but for now I'm gonna try it like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerstyle View Post
    At first I'm gonna try it with just contact glue. A small bead of glue surrounding the entire speaker. I had some luck with this in the past. A midrange driver in an old set of speakers had a similar problem. After gluing it with contact glue it played on for years. I plan on using the Boom with a subwoofer so the speaker won't need to go very low anymore so it should work. The seller allready made the mistake however of trying to glue it with superglue. That could mess things up. Superglue hardens and puts more stress on the allready weak surround. I hope this won't affect the process.

If it fails I allways can buy a pair of new surrounds and replace them but for now I'm gonna try it like this.
    Hmm, my Boom was only ever used at very moderate levels and hooked up to a subwoofer, both units still failed.
    Server - LMS 7.9.2 Pi4B 4GB/Flirc case/pCP 6.0.0-b7 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi

I feel what you are saying but I get a thrill out of getting things back in good condition as cheap as possible so for now I'm gonna try it with just the contact glue. It's not like a Boom is so difficult to disassemble. In about 15 minutes it's in pieces. If the speaker, or both of them, should fail afterwards it's not a whole lot of work removing them again.

Awesome work!

When the surrounds on my Boom finally go, I'm going to come back here to follow some of your steps to polish it up a bit while I'm in the belly of the beast.