Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Standalone reliable LMS config recommendations?

I'm building a cabin with flakey internet connectivity. Sometimes bad, sometimes nothing, rarely good. :-). I've got a receiver and 3 booms connected so far. When it works, it sounds AWESOME in there. But it's been flakey. :-(. I need my music!!

I set up a Gole1 (cheap windows 10 device with atom proc and touchscreen), but LMS would always quit. I've run LMS with Linux for years in a VM on my server, and am thinking switchng to Ubuntu will be more stable. Here's the Gole: http://www.gole.tech/product/mini-pc...ore-rma4g-64g/

Any suggestions on a hardware setup for this? Price is (almost) no object since I've struggled with this for months now. I've tried 4 different routers, antennas and amplifiers for the cell connectivity. Squeezelite, picoreplayer, max2play on a pi with touchscreen. They all seem to crap out after a while and I can't figure it out. I have the hardware on a UPS so the flakey power shouldn,t be an issue.

So, push that away. What would you (collectively) do if you wanted a reliable SB system that friends and family could use and not have to dork with? Somethng neat and tidy to put in a small cubby somewhere.

If it's just the interrnet going up and down all the time, that won't be fixed for a few months if ever, sadly...

Can you elaborate on crap out? Almost any device serving LMS should be able to handle 4 devices.

I'm assuming that you don't use the internet connection to stream music, and just trying to play from a local library.

Have you tried launching LMS with the --nomysqueezebox command line option.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

4GB RAM and windows 10 cant really work. Thats like running Ubuntu 16.4 Desktop on 2GB...

You also should tell us something more about the goal your searching for.

only local files with x albums all connected via wifi/ethernet....

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    4GB RAM and windows 10 cant really work. Thats like running Ubuntu 16.4 Desktop on 2GB...

You also should tell us something more about the goal your searching for.

only local files with x albums all connected via wifi/ethernet....
    Funny Iíve been running VM with 2GB allocated (Linux) that I didnít even consider I was getting RAM starved.

What was happening was LMS was just dying. I would have everyone synced up, and boom, the server would go away - players would start switching to MySB mode.

So I have about 100GB of music - 15-20k songs. Only 1 stream but up to 4 players synced. 1 LAN others WiFi.

I put Ubuntu desktop on the Gole (DT since I might want some GUI apps at some point). Not sure the Gole is powerful enough. Thinking an i3 box might be better suited than the Atom.

Not sure if the pain point is the anemic hardware, the Linksys consumer grade router, or the Cell internet dropping out randomly (Netgear ac powered MiFi thing with an Ethernet port). Maybe shutting down all MySB functionality would be a good first start.

Quote Originally Posted by plympton View Post
    Funny Iíve been running VM with 2GB allocated (Linux) that I didnít even consider I was getting RAM starved.
    my "old" System was a Celeron 1.8G/hz from 2006 with 2 GB Ram and that was running fine under Debian without any unused stuff like x-server.
    The only reason i get rid of if was a harddrive crash and the lack of a big 2.5" Harddisk - so i switched to a more up2date system with 3.5" Disk.

Ubuntu server has no such a stuff like a desktop enviroment - Ubuntu desktop has x-server and i just mentioned Ubuntu Desktop isnt running with 4 gb anymore its walking not running.
    Since most of these systems must share the ram with the graphiccard you may not have the whole 4 gb for the system (if running any xserver or Win10)

That device looks like a tablet with a touch display - running any os without a xserver might be a bad idea...

Whats the content of the server.log after a crash?

I'd get an old (but quiet) PC with i3 or above, 4Gb Ram+ and a single decent sized HD and stick Vortexbox 2.4 on it.
    If it fails (craps out) it should only require the box to be rebooted, whereas a Pi + Storage of some kind may require some fiddling.
    I would give it a fixed IP and might upgrade LMS to a more recent version but thats about all the fiddling I'd do for your use case.
    It is, like piCoreplayer, all driven by a web gui so you could screenshot some instructions for visitors.

NB
    If the PC has a sound card it can also be a player.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

@d6jg:

Vortex 2.4 is based on Fedora 23 and thats unsupported since 2016-12-20..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora...tory#Fedora_23

Hoping I found my culprit...

That Gole1 box was flakey. The LAN would drop out, whether under Windows or Ubuntu. At the end, it wouldn't even connect reliably. I picked up an Acer Iconia W700 locally that's got roughly the same specs, but an i5-3xyz processor. Has a fan, but that's probably a good thing. Testing it out now to see if it's more reliable. Can't hurt!