Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Thread: HDMI input

HDMI input

Hi - I have Picoreplayer installed on several Raspberry Pi 3’s scattered around, with one serving as an LMS server. Two of them have Hifiberry Amp2 cards with speakers connected, and one goes directly into a stereo amplifier. It all works great.

My question is whether it is possible to use the HDMI port on the Raspberry Pi as an audio input source, and route the audio out through the hifiberry amp?

The use case is this. The raspberry pi unit that serves as the LMS server sits next to a TV. I would like to take the HDMI output from the TV, parse out the video signal (this I know how to do), and run the remaining audio into the raspberry pi and have it play through the amp through the speakers.

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob01 View Post
    My question is whether it is possible to use the HDMI port on the Raspberry Pi as an audio input source, and route the audio out through the hifiberry amp?
    HDMI Device is output only.

You can however use a 2 way USB sound card such as a Behringer UCA202 which will give you 16/44.1 in and out.
    4 x RCA, Optical out & USB
    piCorePlayer will see the card as an output out of the box but you will need to use additional modules which may not be available in pCp to get the Pi to read its input
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Thanks for the replies. I’ll look into the USB soundcard.

Bob