Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Most stable version? LMS

Hi there,

Is there a view on the most stable recent version of LMS? I am running 7.9.1 on MacOS high Sierra having stepped back from 7.9.2 which I found quite glitchy. Although not as bad I am still getting a lot of stopped plays on BPAs BBC iPlayer and other radio streams and Spotify displaying a lot of latency and other issues. There are times when the whole thing just seems to freeze locking out iPeng among other things and the LMS home web page freezing. I completely removed 7.9.2 before I installed 7.9.1

Speaking of BBC iPlayer my settings are as follows Dash > HLS > MP3 > FlashAAC. Can anybody advise please if these are optimum? I can access bothe UK and non-UK streams.

Thanks

John

Quote Originally Posted by JPatten View Post
    Hi there,

Is there a view on the most stable recent version of LMS? I am running 7.9.1 on MacOS high Sierra having stepped back from 7.9.2 which I found quite glitchy. Although not as bad I am still getting a lot of stopped plays on BPAs BBC iPlayer and other radio streams and Spotify displaying a lot of latency and other issues. There are times when the whole thing just seems to freeze locking out iPeng among other things and the LMS home web page freezing. I completely removed 7.9.2 before I installed 7.9.1

Speaking of BBC iPlayer my settings are as follows Dash > HLS > MP3 > FlashAAC. Can anybody advise please if these are optimum? I can access bothe UK and non-UK streams.
    I don't think LMS version has anything to do with BBC iPlayer issues.
    Give more details ? what is in server.log ? What version of plugin ?
    Last edited by bpa; 2018-07-03 at 15:07.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    I don't think LMS version has anything to do with BBC iPlayer issues.
    Give more details ? what is in server.log ? What version of plugin ?
    I have changed it to running just with HLS at the moment and it seems to be running fine

I have changed it to running just with HLS at the moment and it seems to be running fine
    It sounds like you have a general network issue - web page freezing, Ipeng lockout. I think you'll have problem with plugin HLS - especially as it uses http 1.0 which has a big network load compared to DASH.

Most stable version? LMS

> Is there a view on the most stable recent version of LMS? I am running
    > 7.9.1 on MacOS high Sierra having stepped back from 7.9.2 which I found
    > quite glitchy. Although not as bad I am still getting a lot of stopped
    > plays on BPAs BBC iPlayer and other radio streams and Spotify displaying
    > a lot of latency and other issues. There are times when the whole thing
    > just seems to freeze locking out iPeng among other things and the LMS
    > home web page freezing. I completely removed 7.9.2 before I installed
    > 7.9.1

All the problems you mention are with 3rd party additions (Spotty,
    iPlayer, iPeng). I don't think any of these have anything to do with LMS
    itself.

--

Michael

Firstly - its a good day when BPA and Michael Herger take an interest.... thank you.

BPA - you are correct HLS did break as predicted. I have been using DASH only for the last couple of days for live streaming and it has not fallen over. I haven't tried it 'on demand' yet but will over the next few days.

I will take a look at possible network issues.... I use Devolo powerline adapters for streaming and of course ipeng uses Wifi. Everything sits on the same subnet (ethernet and wifi) and the LMS server is on a static IP which is not in the range of ip addresses handed out by DHCP. If you have any thoughts on this let me know.

LMS is still great and I am committed to keeping it going strong in my home.

BPA - you are correct HLS did break as predicted. I have been using DASH only for the last couple of days for live streaming and it has not fallen over. I haven't tried it 'on demand' yet but will over the next few days.
    On-demand should be more stable than live as the data is ready to send (i.e. player can request many mins of audio or even whole prog if it wants and it will be delivered in secs) whereas with live playing in realtime - data is only available in realtime - any network hiccough and you'll get a break in audio - the workaround for this with DASH is to increase the plugin setting "Seconds to delay live stream" - effectively accessing audio which is already available as it was broadcast x secs ago. This is a DASH setting.

I will take a look at possible network issues.... I use Devolo powerline adapters for streaming and of course ipeng uses Wifi. Everything sits on the same subnet (ethernet and wifi) and the LMS server is on a static IP which is not in the range of ip addresses handed out by DHCP. If you have any thoughts on this let me know.
    I have Devolo powerline adatprors (many generations currently 650+) but I had to move away from them for audio as they had strange "breaks" every so often. Devolo's are now for hard to reach corners - wifi has moved to mesh Netgear Orbi.
    One source of odd delays was my ISP modem with DNS lookups - DNS lookup by devices were IPv6 first then IPv4. There was delay with each IPv6 lookup so I disabled IPV6 on the modem.