Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    oops, sorry, I just thought of one more question....

If I bought a normal chromecast (video) over the audio chromecast (with other than HDMI outputs), would that allow me to have the most flexibility in that I could use it via the TV HDMI (with now playing), but also, it would work with the soundbar HDMI? That is, the video Chromecast does not need a display to work?

The CC is actually an ideal solution for me because the HDMI port on the soundbar is not used (TV to soundbar via optical), and I have a vacant HDMI on the TV. Also, the optical in on the SB isn't available. So, it the normal second gen CC for $USD35 would work either way, viola!

Now the only other thing to worry (over think) about is if the HDMI from the TV does a pass through of the audio data to the optical out without monkeying with it. I imagine it does....
    \

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    oops, sorry, I just thought of one more question....

If I bought a normal chromecast (video) over the audio chromecast (with other than HDMI outputs), would that allow me to have the most flexibility in that I could use it via the TV HDMI (with now playing), but also, it would work with the soundbar HDMI? That is, the video Chromecast does not need a display to work?
    Can't be 100% but I believe that once setup you do not need a display. Post the question in Phillipe's thread - I am sure he can confirm.
    Almost all HDMI TV's have passthru to optical out. The cheap one I have in my bedroom certainly does as like you I had to upgrade the sound and used an old pre HDMI AV Receiver that only had optical.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng