Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Tired trying to rectify even after contacting topping. I tested schitt Modi 3 and it works like a charm. This give me more confidence to acquire the khadas tone board soon. By the way, thanks for all ur replies guys

Sent from my LGM-V300K using Tapatalk

How to connect RPi 4B to external USB DAC

Hi everybody,

just joined the forum and looking forward to a lively discussion!

I have bought a Raspberry Pi 4B and have successfully setup piCorePlayer 6.1.0 and LMS 7.9.3. I can access LMS both on the desktop and on my iPhone via the Material Skin. Analogue audio output works on the headphone out. So far so good.

Of course I want to connect the pi to a DAC. I have an older Pro-Ject Audio USB DAC BOX at hand and have received the SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII today. After hours of trying out all of the methods outlined in this thread I am about to give up and order the HifiBerry DAC2 HD which, as a proper HAT, should work pretty much out of the box.

Here's what I have tried so far:

In pCP Squeezelite Settings:
    1. set Audio output to device settings to "USB audio"
    2. tried about every setting in the "Output setting field"

In Tweaks:
    1. changed OTG-Speed to "dwc_otg.speed=1" (and back as it didn't seem to have any impact)
    2. disabled USB-FSM (and back as it didn't seem to have any impact)

When ssh'ed into pCP I did use "tc@piCoreLMS:~$ dmesg|grep USB" to list connected USB devices but to no avail.

Interestingly the DAC was discovered when disconnecting and reconnecting the usb cable (hot-plugging without reboot).

So… Any thoughts on what I may be doing wrong or missing in setup are greatly appreciated!
    Help me Pi Kenobi—you are my only hope!

Best from Berlin, Germany!
    Paul

p.s. Below you will find a screenshot of the terminal window when the DAC was finally discovered.
    Name:  Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-24 um 16.51.46.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  192.2 KB

@pauluslupus

to which of the two dacs are you refering ? (is it the project one ?) Burr brown chip ?

do you have both dacs connected ?

have you rebooted ?

what does

Code:
    aplay -L
    give

and please post the output setiing list

ronnie
    Last edited by Man in a van; 2020-10-24 at 09:12.

The classic first response to new RPi with USB problems is "is the power supply strong enough?"

If the only source of power to the USB device is the RPi USB port that is also carrying the data then there might not be enough power coming through.
    Appearing when hot-plugging /might/ support that theory as perhaps on initial boot the RPi is drawing more power but after stabilising there might be more available to pass to the USB device.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    @pauluslupus

to which of the two dacs are you refering ? (is it the project one ?) Burr brown chip ?

do you have both dacs connected ?

have you rebooted ?

what does

Code:
    aplay -L
    give

and please post the output setiing list

ronnie
    Ronnie,
    Thx for the quick response. Regarding your questions/ comments:

I could not connect either, and, no, I don't have both connected at the same time.

The Pro-Ject Audio DAC BOX USB when connected to my Mac appears as "Burr Brown PCM 2702". The data sheet lists it as a "Texas Instruments TLV320DAC23".

The s.m.s.l Sanskrit does have a AK4493 DAC Chip.

And, yes, I have rebooted, every time I changed the Audio Output Settings.
    Output settings options for the smsl below:
    Name:  Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-24 um 20.25.21.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  155.7 KB

With the smsl connected aplay -L gives:

Name:  Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-24 um 20.16.38.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  160.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    The classic first response to new RPi with USB problems is "is the power supply strong enough?"

If the only source of power to the USB device is the RPi USB port that is also carrying the data then there might not be enough power coming through.
    Appearing when hot-plugging /might/ support that theory as perhaps on initial boot the RPi is drawing more power but after stabilising there might be more available to pass to the USB device.
    Paul,
    Thx for your response. Both external DACs I have been trying to connect to pcp are powered separately.
    From what I read on this thread I assumed external usb dacs would only appear after reboot. For this very reason it took me some time to reproduce the dac's first appearance (after hot plugging). Screenshot after hot plugging the smsl just now below.

My best,
    Paul

Name:  Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-24 um 20.32.54.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  199.6 KB

@pauluslupus

Your dac is not being recognised, this is a Topping with the same usb chip ans a similaAKM dac chip

Name:  usbpcp.png
Views: 163
Size:  80.9 KB

As Paul has suggested, make sure you a suitable power supply

The Sanskrit has two usb inlet at the rear, make sure you are using the correct one

If that fails then burn a new image

I have found it better to not hot plug usb dacs

Resolved

@pauluslupus

Your dac is not being recognised, this is a Topping with the same usb chip ans a similaAKM dac chip

As Paul has suggested, make sure you a suitable power supply
    The Sanskrit has two usb inlet at the rear, make sure you are using the correct one
    If that fails then burn a new image
    I have found it better to not hot plug usb dacs
    Hi Man in a van,

sorry for the delayed response – family …
    Long story short: It was the cable. It feels a bit embarrasing but after re-reading all posts in this thread I figured the usb-connection was the one variable I hadn't looked into and voilà the Sanskrit was recognized.

Output settings are now "hw:CARD=AUDIO,DEV=0".

Btw: Hot-Plugging is no problem with the Sanskrit, nor is power feeding the DAC by the RPi. There is no issue whatsoever.

On a side note: You wouldn't believe what was aired on ByteFM and hit my ears when I finally got everything working

Name:  I Believe.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  188.5 KB

Thanks again for your support!
    Best from Berlin,
    Paul

Hi Paul

Are you using a url for Byte FM which is provided as a "Friend" ? and is it a non mp3 stream (which is not in the least bit shabby)?

ronnie

Hi Paul

Are you using a url for Byte FM which is provided as a "Friend" ? and is it a non mp3 stream (which is not in the least bit shabby)?

ronnie
    Yes, as a "Friend of ByteFM" I have access to a hq streaming link (either m3u or pls) with 192kbit MP3 for live programs and 320kbit MP3 archive material.
    When playing ByteFM through TuneIn the Material Skin reports the same 192kbit transfer rate plus display of cover art which for some reason is not retrieved when using the hq links provided by ByteFM. I have contacted them to find if there is a way to access the archive on LMS (still awaiting a reply).

In any case th ewhole setup with LMS on pCP on a RPi is really liberating after years of being locked in the Apple ecosystem. I have set up multi room streaming with iPeng playback with some old iPhones hooked up as players in the kitchen and the kids' room — awesome!

Airplay on pCP seems to be a bit wonky but I will probably have to play a bit with the settings.

Best,
    Paul
    Server RPi 4B 2GB • piCorePlayer 6.1.0 • LMS 7.9.3
    DAC s.m.s.l Sanskrit 10th MKII
    Playback Marantz PM55-SE • Marantz CD63-SE • T+A Criterion TB100