Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Using a Squeezebox Classic, Where to start?

Hi everyone, new to the forum. I've had a Classic (Slim Devices) for many many years and due to one thing or another, I've never got round to actually using it!

I'd like to make a concerted effort to get it up and running now, but don't know exactly where to start? Obviously Logitech's buyout has been and gone already and I've heard stuff like open source support for the device exists. With this in mind, is there a couple of guides or best practise setups I could read?

Ideally I'd like to simply setup a pi in my flat with my music collection installed on it. Then have the Squeezebox access it. What would be the simplist way to achieve this? Are there other better setups with better features? I'd really appreciate any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo1990 View Post
    Hi everyone, new to the forum. I've had a Classic (Slim Devices) for many many years and due to one thing or another, I've never got round to actually using it!

I'd like to make a concerted effort to get it up and running now, but don't know exactly where to start? Obviously Logitech's buyout has been and gone already and I've heard stuff like open source support for the device exists. With this in mind, is there a couple of guides or best practise setups I could read?

Ideally I'd like to simply setup a pi in my flat with my music collection installed on it. Then have the Squeezebox access it. What would be the simplist way to achieve this? Are there other better setups with better features? I'd really appreciate any advice.
    Do you already have your music collection in digital form? (FLAC, MP3, etc?)
    You might try installing the Logitech Media Server (LMS) on a PC first (PC, Mac). This is the server which serves the player(s) (eg, your Classic). This would allow you to get used to what the server is/does. If you like it, then you could look at setting up a dedicated server (eg a Raspberry Pi).

I'm actually not sure where to get the latest version of LMS... This link SHOULD get you to the latest:
    "http://downloads.slimdevices.com/LogitechMediaServer_v7.9.1/"

If you go the RPi route, there is information on this forum to get you going - such as PiCorePlayer (which can be setup as a Squeezebox player, but also supports setting up an LMS server on an RPi).

Congratulations, you have what I personally think is the best Squeezebox of the bunch and also a fun adventure ahead of you.
    I would also suggest installing LMS on a PC/Mac just to quickly get going and start getting your head around the concept, there is a learning curve but things will be so much easier if you take the time to get a basic understanding of how things work.

Once you've got the gist of things, running LMS on a pi is a popular method, for good reason, so you will have no problem finding people who can help you out.

One thing to mention, well maintained tags are quite central to a pleasant Squeezebox experience in my opinion, a little time tidying up the tags of your library if you haven't already done so will be well spent.

I would actually (controversial I know) suggest you just go straight to the Pi option, particularly with the pre built images approach such as Picoreplayer and enable LMS this makes it so quick and easy to get going you're on a winner straight away.
    Thumb drive or external powered hub and a portable hdd for the music, Pi 3B+, and you're away.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..