Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

How to avoid music skip interruptions?

We have Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.6 running on a Synology DS412+ with approximately 50,000 mostly FLAC and a minority of mp3 files. Generally, four Duet Receivers and a Touch are synced for playing in various rooms. After a day or so of use, all sound will stop for from a second to a minute and resume at a later point in that track, or with the next playlist track. The pause is the problem.

The DS412+ is dedicated to hosting the music files and running LMS with no other tasks. All devices are hard wired.

I have found that stopping LMS on the DS412+ and restarting it a few minutes later seems to eliminate the skipping problem -- for a day or so.

I do not know if there is a setting that may avoid the need to stop/start LMS. I would prefer that solution if anyone knows knows the cause and its solution.

Lacking an elegant fix, I have thought of making two timed tasks, the first to stop LMS daily at a particular time and a second task, to start LMS a few minutes after the first task. I do not know if this is practical, possible, or how to do it.

Your thoughts, suggestions, and/or links to ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    LTD
    Last edited by LontTimeDummy; 2018-06-28 at 22:09. Reason: Correct spelling and clarify (hopefully)

Try just the Touch playing (un-sync all), see if problem persists. Maybe some (or all) files require transcoding and the NAS can't keep up? NAS losing network connection?

Tried same setup but just streaming internet radio? Or run LMS temporarily on a full computer for 2 days? If either of these solves the issue then your NAS is the likely culprit.

Also - while updating software is not always the right answer ... you could try a more recent LMS on a different machine (... I know ... changing two things does not necessarily help work out where the problem is).
    If the problem does not repeat itself with the new install then you could investigate to see if your NAS will also support running that newer version.

Plenty of people running 7.9.x
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

If problem goes away when player are unsynced - assumiong wifi is in use, then the issue could be probably one player has a weaker signal or wifi is getting "overloaded" and to maintain sync LMS has to pause the whole group.

Enabling logging may help locate the problematic player - otherwise when all players are synced - remove one player at a time, test and see if problem goes away.

edit:

Missed the hard wired bit. If the long pauses are somewhow related to syncing - then enable player.sync logging to see what is happening.
    Last edited by bpa; 2018-06-29 at 07:49.

Quote Originally Posted by LontTimeDummy View Post
    ... All devices are hard wired.
    I assume that means and includes all players & NAS. If yes then WiFi is not an issue. If no then we need clarification from OP.

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    I assume that means and includes all players & NAS. If yes then WiFi is not an issue. If no then we need clarification from OP.
    Thanks to all. I will get on the troubleshooting suggestions.

As to the WiFi vs. hardwired Ethernet; the Synology NAS, the four Duet Receivers, and the Touch are all connected without WiFi. All of those devices are connected via hardwired Ethernet.

Because the Synology DS412+ is running only LMS and the related Perl "packages" and because it takes a day or so for the no-sound skipping to develop, my theory is that some database, table, or other resource used by the NAS is being filled or corrupted. I theorize that the because manual stop/restart clears that problem until it rebuilds over time the problem is local to the DS412+.

Does anyone here have experience or suggestions regarding cron-type controls to stop/start packages like LMS on a Synology NAS? Synology refers to this as "Task Scheduler." I do not know how to approach stopping or starting the "package" LMS with Task Scheduler, yet because performing those commands manually solves the problem, albeit not elegantly, it seems a reasonable way to avoid the no-sound skipping.

I suspect that managing the 50,000 track quantity and over 1 TB of storage for the music tracks contributes to the no-sound skipping that develops after time passes.

What a great forum! I really appreciate your suggestions.

BTW, "LontTimeDummy" should have been "LongTimeDummy," but I did not notice my error until after registering. I will fix my username after altering my profile is authorized.

LTD

Quote Originally Posted by LontTimeDummy View Post
    Does anyone here have experience or suggestions regarding cron-type controls to stop/start packages like LMS on a Synology NAS? Synology refers to this as "Task Scheduler." I do not know how to approach stopping or starting the "package" LMS with Task Scheduler, yet because performing those commands manually solves the problem, albeit not elegantly, it seems a reasonable way to avoid the no-sound skipping.
    Hi LTD,

There are several things you could do, one of them is the cronjob thing. But normally LMS should be fine without the start/stop action.

The task scheduler is pretty straight forward. You have to create 2 tasks: one for the stop action, and one for the start action: goto the control panel -> Task Scheduler-> Create-> Scheduled Task-> configure the task settings in 'General', 'Schedule' and Task Settings. In Task Settings pick 'stop' or 'start' and select ' Logitech Media Server. Press OK.
    Follow this procedure for both the start service and the stop service. The task overview should look something like this:Name:  start_stop_lms.png
Views: 54
Size:  17.4 KB

Second: if you run DSM6, please update to a newer version of LMS (the 7.7.6 Synology version is realy old!)! Just activate the beta channel in Package Center: goto settings-> Beta-> Yes, I want to see Beta versions. The 7.9.1 beta version of Synology's LMS will be visible in the Package Center.

Greetings,

Martin
    -LMS on Raspian Stretch -> 2x Radio
    -RPI 3 (Archphile), Aune S6 - Exposure 3010S2 - PMC FB1i

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkdot View Post
    Hi LTD,

There are several things you could do, one of them is the cronjob thing. But normally LMS should be fine without the start/stop action.

The task scheduler is pretty straight forward. You have to create 2 tasks: one for the stop action, and one for the start action: goto the control panel -> Task Scheduler-> Create-> Scheduled Task-> configure the task settings in 'General', 'Schedule' and Task Settings. In Task Settings pick 'stop' or 'start' and select ' Logitech Media Server. Press OK.
    Follow this procedure for both the start service and the stop service. The task overview should look something like this:Name:  start_stop_lms.png
Views: 54
Size:  17.4 KB

Second: if you run DSM6, please update to a newer version of LMS (the 7.7.6 Synology version is realy old!)! Just activate the beta channel in Package Center: goto settings-> Beta-> Yes, I want to see Beta versions. The 7.9.1 beta version of Synology's LMS will be visible in the Package Center.

Greetings,

Martin
    Thanks so much Martin.

Yes, I'm using the most current version of DSM 6. I will perform the upgrade to 7.9.1 beta that you suggest. I have been reluctant to use the non-Synology-supported versions of LMS because I'm a neophyte at this.

I will not do the stop/start thing unless the update does not solve the no-sound skipping issue. I will keep your excellent instructions for other tasks that I am certain will come up.

This community support is just amazing.

LDT