Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Debian Aduio Device / Channel Mapping

Hi all,

maybe someone here already have some experiences. I recently bought a new SoundCard which has 64 Channels in Total. What I would like to do is to use Squeezelite to provide AudioStreams to dedacted channels.
    When I list the audio Devices on my System I get

Code:
    sov@audioserver:~$ sudo aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC662 rev3 Analog [ALC662 rev3 Analog]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
    card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
    card 1: DantePCIe [DantePCIe], device 0: DantePCIe [DantePCIe PCM]
    CARD 1 is the DanteCard that has the 64 channels. So I am not sure how to start and what the best way would be. I read that there is a possibility to map Channels to Fake Virtual AUdio Devices but I did not find anyhing yet on how to do this.
    I also have a Pulse AUdio Server installed and Card is also recognized as one Pulse Device.

If you have any idea appreciate your help

Thanks S

Quote Originally Posted by s25a View Post
    CARD 1 is the DanteCard that has the 64 channels. So I am not sure how to start and what the best way would be. I read that there is a possibility to map Channels to Fake Virtual AUdio Devices but I did not find anyhing yet on how to do this.
    I also have a Pulse AUdio Server installed and Card is also recognized as one Pulse Device.

If you have any idea appreciate your help
    Since the card is showing only one audio device - I'd guess a driver has not been loaded to give access to the 64 channels.

Best way to get help is to give full device name and model number so other users can check (i.e. you may need to build your own driver from source code). On Dante site there are many models but not many which say they have Linux support.

Since the card is showing only one audio device - I'd guess a driver has not been loaded to give access to the 64 channels.
    Well I think 1 device is OK. It is the same with other Sound Cards - for example the Onboard Soundcard have also 7+1 Channels but is only shown as one device.
    My question would be how can I access to the sub-channels of the device.

Thank you

S

When you have a 7+1 channel - you get a list of outputs such as below. Your output shows nothing. Giev details on the card and people may be to confirm you need a special driver.
    Code:
    front:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
        DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio
        Front speakers
    surround21:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
        2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
    surround40:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
        4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
    surround41:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
        4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
    surround50:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
        5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
    surround51:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
        5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
    surround71:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
        7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers

Hi,

thanks for your answer, I just received an answer from the Manufacturer. So it is much more complex than I assumed.

Here is what he wrote: (Translated from German in English)

The driver only provides the 128 Channel IO PCM interface.
    A mixer interface does not exist.
    You can define channels with asoundrc - https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/.asoundrc/
    There are examples for the splitting of a 8 channel card in this article.
    So I setup this file

nano /home/sov/.asoundrc

Code:
    pcm.snd-card {
             type hw
             card 1
             device 0
    }

ctl.snd-card {
             type hw
             card 1
             device 0
    }

pcm.dmixer {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 1024
        ipc_perm 0666
        slave.pcm "snd-card"
        slave {
            period_time 0
            period_size 1024
            buffer_size 4096
            rate 96000
            channels 8
        }
        bindings {
            0 0
            1 1
            2 2
            3 3
            4 4
            5 5
            6 6
            7 7
        }
    }

pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "dmixer"
    }

pcm.stereo1 {
        type plug
        slave {
            pcm "dmixer"
            channels 8
        }
        ttable.0.0 1
        ttable.1.1 1
    }

pcm.stereo2 {
        type plug
        slave {
            pcm "dmixer"
            channels 8
        }
        ttable.0.2 1
        ttable.1.3 1
    }

pcm.stereo3 {
        type plug
        slave {
            pcm "dmixer"
            channels 8
        }
        ttable.0.4 1
        ttable.1.5 1
    }

pcm.stereo4 {
        type plug
        slave {
            pcm "dmixer"
            channels 8
        }
        ttable.0.6 1
        ttable.1.7 1
    }
    But nothing happens there are still same numer of devices. Does anybody have ever used this and can help?

Thanks S
    Last edited by s25a; 2018-06-27 at 07:49.

Sorry my fault.

I did something wrong with the alsa Reload:

now I have new devices in the output:

Code:
    sov@audioserver:~/programs$ ./squeezelite -l
    Output devices:
      null                           - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
      dmixer
      stereo1
      stereo2
      stereo3
      stereo4
      sysdefault:CARD=PCH            - HDA Intel PCH, ALC662 rev3 Analog - Default Audio Device
      front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0           - HDA Intel PCH, ALC662 rev3 Analog - Front speakers
      surround21:CARD=PCH,DEV=0      - HDA Intel PCH, ALC662 rev3 Analog - 2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
      surround40:CARD=PCH,DEV=0      - HDA Intel PCH, ALC662 rev3 Analog - 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
      surround41:CARD=PCH,DEV=0      - HDA Intel PCH, ALC662 rev3 Analog - 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
      surround50:CARD=PCH,DEV=0      - HDA Intel PCH, ALC662 rev3 Analog - 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
      surround51:CARD=PCH,DEV=0      - HDA Intel PCH, ALC662 rev3 Analog - 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
      surround71:CARD=PCH,DEV=0      - HDA Intel PCH, ALC662 rev3 Analog - 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
      hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0            - HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0 - HDMI Audio Output
      hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=1            - HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 1 - HDMI Audio Output
      dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=0            - HDA Intel PCH, ALC662 rev3 Analog - Direct sample mixing device
      dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=3            - HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0 - Direct sample mixing device
      dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=7            - HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 1 - Direct sample mixing device
      dsnoop:CARD=PCH,DEV=0          - HDA Intel PCH, ALC662 rev3 Analog - Direct sample snooping device
      dsnoop:CARD=PCH,DEV=3          - HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0 - Direct sample snooping device
      dsnoop:CARD=PCH,DEV=7          - HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 1 - Direct sample snooping device
      hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=0              - HDA Intel PCH, ALC662 rev3 Analog - Direct hardware device without any conversions
      hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=3              - HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0 - Direct hardware device without any conversions
      hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=7              - HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 1 - Direct hardware device without any conversions
      plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=0          - HDA Intel PCH, ALC662 rev3 Analog - Hardware device with all software conversions
      plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=3          - HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0 - Hardware device with all software conversions
      plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=7          - HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 1 - Hardware device with all software conversions
      sysdefault:CARD=DantePCIe      - DantePCIe, DantePCIe PCM - Default Audio Device
      dmix:CARD=DantePCIe,DEV=0      - DantePCIe, DantePCIe PCM - Direct sample mixing device
      dsnoop:CARD=DantePCIe,DEV=0    - DantePCIe, DantePCIe PCM - Direct sample snooping device
      hw:CARD=DantePCIe,DEV=0        - DantePCIe, DantePCIe PCM - Direct hardware device without any conversions
      plughw:CARD=DantePCIe,DEV=0    - DantePCIe, DantePCIe PCM - Hardware device with all software conversions
    Will have to check if this works properly but one big step further :-)

Thanks Alex

Sorry I can't help with asoundrc files.

There are a few thread discussing similiar (but smaller) situation such as 7.1 as multiple steroe in this thread. Note writer says different output do NOT show up with "squeezelite -l"
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post863406

OK THanks bpa

However in my setup it shows up in squeezelite...Interesting :-)

Thanks

S

Quote Originally Posted by s25a View Post
    OK THanks bpa

However in my setup it shows up in squeezelite...Interesting :-)
    Maybe it was bug now fixed. Showing up is better.