Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Pi3 pCP LMS music library on 4 USB sticks?

Am running a pi3 with a powered hard drive connected via USB for my music library. Has anyone tried mounting 4 high capacity USB sticks, each stick with a different section of the full library, the 4 sticks between them containing the entire library? If so, did it work smoothly, and secondly, was there a particular brand of stick that allowed the 4 sticks to sit neatly together without interfering and putting physical stress on the circuit board of the pi3?

Cheers, David
    Serverrpi3 pCP4.0.0 LMS7.9.2
    MediaUSB hard drive
    Lounge/dining areasSBT > Denon AVR2113 > Bose Acoustimass10 / Krix Seismix3 18" 300w RMS custom cinema sub (& AR 77XB t/table, Stanton 680MkII / Grado F-1+ > NAD7155 to phono pre-amp > Amp+)
    Family/kitchenSBT > Denon AVRX3000 zone 1 > Krix Acoustix F, Centrix C, Holographix R & Original Seismix 7 15" 400w RMS sub
    Alfrescoas above zone 2 > Krix Tropix
    OthersSB Player/androids > Bose Soundlink Mini
    SBT/SB Player Remotes Squeeze Ctrl/androids

G'day David

The power supplied by the pi to the four usb ports is shared between them so you would need to check the requirements of each of the sticks.

There should, in theory, be no problem, but why not just sit the pi on top of small usb hard drive?

Got to be cheaper, surely?

I sometimes use one of these

https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...paign=products

Any reputable brand small drive will do, a connector cable is cheap enough, depending on your required capacity you might be able to source a cheapish SSD if you so wish.

Ronnie

1A overall can be served by Pi3 to the USB ports.
    I don't think that would work, at least due to scanning: you'll get your 4 devices active at the same time and I think that will require current over 1A.
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

I don't think its a good idea either. 4 potential points of failure (5 if you include powered hub). I don't see any gain except £ if you already own the usb sticks.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

It might be a bit easier to go with a NAS connected via the router to the Pi running LMS - this is what I use to store the files.
    (It's possible the OP is after a more portable LMS device, hence the 4 x USB sticks.)

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9.2 with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS7.9.2 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob