Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27
  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    359
    Sounds like I'm busy next weekend! Thanks again for all the help. We'll see where this rabbit hole leads...

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    342
    To add two-cents, if you ever use multiple tags (say multiple artist tags) and accidentally make a mistake with the order, that will mess things up.

    Also, going back to earlier discussion about tag types, I've had instances where multiple tag types were written to files (ID3v1 and ID3v2 or even FLAC). If there are multiple tag types, MP3Tag will usually only show info from one tag type. For instance, if you have both ID3v1 and ID3v2, it will only show the v2 tags. But if the problem is in the v1 tag, you may never see it.

    While tags like that are supposed to be consistent, they aren't always that way. This has especially been the problem in the odd cases where I've ended up with ID3 tags in a FLAC file.

    In many cases I've had to remove all tags and start over to clean out the problems. MP3Tag (and probably most good software) know not to mix tag types, but other software can cause those problems.


    By the way, I do think you can search through tags using MP3Tag or other metadata software to find all the files with the culprit field in place. For instance search for your Toussaint name as the problematic file will somehow have that name there. At least after loading your library, you could narrow it down to a more reasonable number of culprits.

    One final note; when I used to have errors like this, they unfortunately existed in other places in the library for different names, etc. It just goes without fail. It's not that we do anything wrong but just that similar errors (Be it through auto-tagging or other) occur.

  3. #23
    Senior Member dolodobendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Posts
    209
    1. In mp3tag, add columns for any tag that could be responsible (artistsort, albumartist, album artist, artistsort etc.)
    2. Load your library in mp3tag as suggested.
    3. Filter your files (F3) with "artist HAS Toussaint" or "composer HAS ..."


    That should let you find the tracks responsible pretty quickly.
    QLMS 7.9.2@1.09b (digimaster) / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    359
    I will have a go at this...feeling a bit intimidated at the moment!

    Thanks for the help, suggestions, and needed encouragement...lol

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    359
    Thanks to all who responded. After opening the entire music directory in MP3 tag, it does seem to be stray "Composer" tags. Unfortunately for me, taking that out actually messes up what I used that field for (once upon a time...I think?). Anyway, now I know the cause, just not sure of the best solution; maybe just mass move that field to a differently titled one...but that journey is for another thread.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by fphredd View Post
    Thanks to all who responded. After opening the entire music directory in MP3 tag, it does seem to be stray "Composer" tags. Unfortunately for me, taking that out actually messes up what I used that field for (once upon a time...I think?). Anyway, now I know the cause, just not sure of the best solution; maybe just mass move that field to a differently titled one...but that journey is for another thread.
    Use "Composer Sort" tags much like you would use "Artist Sort", at least for the file(s) that are causing you problems. I forgot that there can be cross-over issues with names and sort fields; I think it's because LMS can (and may be set in your case) to blend Composers and Artists into one menu when browsing by Artist. I don't include Composers in that menu, but I think the indexing and sorting could still be affected. Regardless, a "Composer Sort" tag can fix things (or ruin things if it is not set right). Usually adding a or tag or removing one that is fowling things up will solve things. Occasionally, I have to wipe and rescan the database when these issues occur.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by emalvick View Post
    Use "Composer Sort" tags much like you would use "Artist Sort", at least for the file(s) that are causing you problems. I forgot that there can be cross-over issues with names and sort fields; I think it's because LMS can (and may be set in your case) to blend Composers and Artists into one menu when browsing by Artist. I don't include Composers in that menu, but I think the indexing and sorting could still be affected. Regardless, a "Composer Sort" tag can fix things (or ruin things if it is not set right). Usually adding a or tag or removing one that is fowling things up will solve things. Occasionally, I have to wipe and rescan the database when these issues occur.
    I do think 'moving' that tag information is going to be my shortest distance between two points. There is no 'perfect', I think, when it comes to tagging. Having a boatload of live stuff doesn't help either...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •