Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Artist Sorting in wrong order - No hidden tag?

I did try and search for this; if it's been answered previously, sorry for the dupe and could someone point me to the answer...

I have a couple of artists/bands that are showing up in completely wrong places in the sort.
    The 1st picture shows a spot where a few bands are showing up in G's and I'm not sure why. The 2nd picture shows one of those artist's listing in MP3 Tag with extended tags open. There are no G's...any ideas?

I have tried deleting the oversized images with no luck - help appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by fphredd; 2018-06-23 at 10:20.

What did you do differently for "Danny Gatton" to make him show up in the place you want?

I'd probably get rid of the comma in the ARTISTSORT field if there is one there. Image is too small to tell.
    Last edited by Apesbrain; 2018-06-23 at 10:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    What did you do differently for "Danny Gatton" to make him show up in the place you want?

I'd probably get rid of the comma in the ARTISTSORT field if there is one there. Image is too small to tell.
    That's the thing...Nothing different. The comma is there for formatting to get them in the list sorted by last name, showing first name first...That comma is in Danny Gatton as well. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by fphredd View Post
    That's the thing...Nothing different. The comma is there for formatting to get them in the list sorted by last name, showing first name first...That comma is in Danny Gatton as well. Thx
    Get rid of the albumartistsort and artistsort tags.
    btw:

only a single one track needs a wrong sort tag and your whole library uses it.
    That "bad" sort tag can be everywhere eg. in a sampler /compilation !!!!

Or if you want the name Danny Gatton in thr list you could actually use artistsort and albumartist sort.
    And make them work for you have Danny Gatton in the artisttag and then Gatton, Danny as artistsort.

Ofcourse backup the files before manipulatng tags and also be aware of the thing django pointed out ,it only takes one wrng sort tag in the whole l lbrary to sort them wrong.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    Get rid of the albumartistsort and artistsort tags.
    btw:

only a single one track needs a wrong sort tag and your whole library uses it.
    That "bad" sort tag can be everywhere eg. in a sampler /compilation !!!!
    Those tags are what let me sort Danny Gatton into "G" the way it is.
    The second point, though, has logic...These incorrectly sorted artists/bands are sandwiched between Jerry Garcia listings, so possibly a Garcia link somewhere. Only problem now is where, as Allen Toussaint is not actually anywhere else in the collection that I can come up with. This could become a very long and arduous task with 75k tracks. Anyone know a quick search shortcut...lol? Otherwise it's probably going to be something I'll just have to ignore until I happen to stumble upon the culprit track(s) at some point.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by fphredd; 2018-06-24 at 04:46.

Only problem now is where, as Allen Toussaint is not actually anywhere else in the collection that I can come up with. This could become a very long and arduous task wit 75k tracks. Anyone know a quick search shortcut...lol?
    A shortcut?

• clear your playlist
    • add all track from Mr. Toussaint to a player
    • save that playlist as somename
    • open that playlist with mp3tag
    • select all tracks
    • look into extended tags
    • fix it
    • do a rescan
    • hope 4 the best

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    A shortcut?

• clear your playlist
    • add all track from Mr. Toussaint to a player
    • save that playlist as somename
    • open that playlist with mp3tag
    • select all tracks
    • look into extended tags
    • fix it
    • do a rescan
    • hope 4 the best
    Is that any different that opening extended tags in all of the tracks that are in the raw files in the directory? That's what I did when I was taking the above screenshot. I did this with all the Toussaint tracks. The shot above only shows one group in order to show that the ARTIST related tags were all correct. They were correct in the other ones as well as those shown. Thanks.

Is that any different that opening extended tags in all of the tracks that are in the raw files in the directory? That's what I did when I was taking the above screenshot. I did this with all the Toussaint tracks. The shot above only shows one group in order to show that the ARTIST related tags were all correct. They were correct in the other ones as well as those shown. Thanks.
    sorry,
    but my microscope is out of office ;.-)

since you didnt tell that and my eyes cant read your screenshoot - and asking for a shortcut - thats the way i would go on windows.
    So i dont know your directory structure or any other detail.

And its the same with another thread here - its not easy and not all id3 tagger can read all tags the same.
    btw: what kind of tags are you using?
    And did you tag them all by yourself with the same tagging tool?

eg. I have some istore tracks for my kid - with some stupid tags that none of my tagger would find.
    The only solution was:
    read all the tags into a textfile
    deleteing the whole metadata thats not audio
    add the wanted tags from the textfile

Load your entire library into Mp3tag and view "Extended Tags" (ALT+T). See if there are any tag fields in the resulting list that you want to inspect and/or delete. Now, cancel* and add/create a column in main window to display that field and sort on it. Easiest way to isolate those files having unwanted or suspect tags.

(*) Be careful when viewing Extended Tags of all files not to click on "OK" as it will start rewriting your files; use "Cancel" instead.