Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Thread: It's Alive!

It's Alive!

Hi Folks

Looking for a bit of advice regarding some weird behaviour form one of our Logitech radios in the house.

Background
    =========
    We have four Logitech radios in various rooms around the house. They are all set to 'standby' rather than being fully 'off', so that a simple short press of the power switch brings them to life

Problem
    ======
    Just recently one of the radios has started to switch on automatically, and play. I say 'automatically' but it coincides with when I power up my PC in the morning and LMS kicks-in. The radio plays the last radio station we were listening to before we switched it to standby the previous evening. This is mighty inconvenient as I tend to start work from home quite early, and my PC is switched on around 5am each day. My wife is not impressed that the radio in our bedroom starts playing at this early hour!

The other radios in the house are set up identically, but remain on standby (as they should, and have done ever since we bought them).

Solution?
    =======
    Any thoughts anyone? Obviously I can fully power down the radio, but that means when my wife wants to listen to it when SHE gets up, she's got to wait for the thing to fully boot - hardly the end of the world, but she isn't very techy and gets confused as to why the 'one in the bedroom works differently'.

I suppose I could hard reset the device and set it up from scratch, but before I do that, am I missing some thing obvious here I can check?

This problem only began a few days ago - up until then, this particular radio, behaved as all the others do - they wait until they're switched on manually

Any advice gratefully received - I can't afford a divorce!

Cheers

Steve
    Last edited by StevePalmer; 2018-06-11 at 23:25.
    Steve
    Kettering, UK

I never power down my LMS server, so this is only speculation...

In the web interface, check the player's "Power on Resume" setting in Settings > Audio. Compare it to the setting for the other Radios. I thought the setting was for handling the case of powering the player up/down, but maybe it also affects behavior when the server is powered up.

I have noticed that very rarely things can start to play if i wake my pc and the web-UI is open on a particular player .
    Thast not the server but another computer simply using the web-UI
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    I never power down my LMS server, so this is only speculation...

In the web interface, check the player's "Power on Resume" setting in Settings > Audio. Compare it to the setting for the other Radios. I thought the setting was for handling the case of powering the player up/down, but maybe it also affects behavior when the server is powered up.
    Interesting! Thanks! I'll compare the settings and report back.
    Steve
    Kettering, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    I have noticed that very rarely things can start to play if i wake my pc and the web-UI is open on a particular player .
    Thast not the server but another computer simply using the web-UI
    OK, that's a good point. I'll check. Thanks for replying!
    Steve
    Kettering, UK

Does it start playing immediately after PC/LMS starts? or a minute or so later? if it's a bit later it could be a Radio crash.

Radios can randomly crash and reboot, as JJZolx previously mentioned, if the Player Audio Settings are set to "Pause at power off / Resume at power on" then they will resume playing once they have rebooted after the crash.

If it is a Radio crash currently the only fix for this is to change that setting to "Pause at power off / Remain paused at power on" and install the PowerSave plugin setup to turn off players after 15 minutes in a paused state. Only disadvantage is that to resume play from a standby state you have to press the play button rather than the on/off button.

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by KeBul View Post
    Does it start playing immediately after PC/LMS starts? or a minute or so later? if it's a bit later it could be a Radio crash.

Radios can randomly crash and reboot, as JJZolx previously mentioned, if the Player Audio Settings are set to "Pause at power off / Resume at power on" then they will resume playing once they have rebooted after the crash.

If it is a Radio crash currently the only fix for this is to change that setting to "Pause at power off / Remain paused at power on" and install the PowerSave plugin setup to turn off players after 15 minutes in a paused state. Only disadvantage is that to resume play from a standby state you have to press the play button rather than the on/off button.

Kev
    Hi Guys

Thanks for your wisdom. I agree with Kev that it's probably a radio crash. I've changed the settings to "Pause at power off / Remain paused at power on" and this morning at 5am when the PC booted the radio did NOT switch on. So, it looks like it's sorted, and my marriage is safe!

Cheers!
    Steve
    Kettering, UK

A "crash"? The Radio shouldn't be randomly crashing just because there's no server. Did all of the other Radios have different settings for Power on Resume?