Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Web UI: Can I get classical albums to sort differently than other albums?

Whenever I use the web UI to drill down on a popular artist, I default to sort results by "Year, Album", but when looking at a classical composer, I often reset the sort to "Album" in order to find the composition I want. This is pretty much how I'd had my physical LPs arranged. I wish there was some way to automate this, but I can't figure out how.

One way to get to this result would be to add a new field into my classical files called "Composition". Then sorting by "Composition, Year, Album" would work the way I described above. Popular music having no "Composition" tag would simply sort "Year, Album". I'm wary of making this change to 10,000 classical music files, however, and wondering if for these files a field called "Composition" could be created in the LMS database into which would be copied the present "Album" tag.

Is this something that I could accomplish using the Custom Scan and Custom Browse plugins? The logic would go something like this:

1. Create a new LMS database field called "Composition" and if file Genre = {"Classical" or "Soundtrack" or "Opera"} copy into it the value of "Album"
    2. Enable a new "Composition, Year, Album" sort option in the web UI

Thanks.

Some progress: I've added a COMPOSITION tag to a sample of classical files and using the Custom Scan plugin I believe this information is now in my LMS database. It is possible to edit the web UI "Sort By..." menu shown below to add a "Composition, Year, Album" option? I played around with Custom Browse a bit, but could not see a way to do this.

You might be able to get this working with a combination of the sub-library plugin + "Additional browse modes". See screenshots attached and this link: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...plugin-to-work.
    I haven't tried this myself, it's just an idea ...
    Name:  20180613_LMS_01.PNG
Views: 96
Size:  37.9 KBName:  20180613_LMS_02.PNG
Views: 97
Size:  60.9 KB
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    Some progress: I've added a COMPOSITION tag to a sample of classical files and using the Custom Scan plugin I believe this information is now in my LMS database. It is possible to edit the web UI "Sort By..." menu shown below to add a "Composition, Year, Album" option? I played around with Custom Browse a bit, but could not see a way to do this.

I don't think there's a simple way to change the "sort by..." options (please correct me if I'm wrong). But you could build menus with Custom Browse as described here. It's a bit of a hassle to retag all the files, but I think it's worth it.
    QLMS 7.9.2@1.09b (digimaster) / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

Quote Originally Posted by dolodobendan View Post
    But you could build menus with Custom Browse as described here.
    Thanks for the replies. I have been working through that page and still not getting the result I would like. For simplicity, I only want a "Works by Composer" menu under Custom Browse with results in alpha order. If I understand how this works, it's not necessary to split my library into "Classical/Non-Classical" if I enable the "Limit upper levels to those with existing lower levels" switch. Only my classical files have the WORK tag. Getting that new menu to populate has been touch and go. It only worked once, and then I changed something and lost it. At the moment, it says "No matching songs, albums or artists were found". My template is below. If you see anything that I've done wrong, please let me know.

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

-<custombrowse>

-<template>
    <id>customscan_mixedtags</id>

-<parameter id="menuname" type="text">
    <value>Works by Composer</value>
    </parameter>

-<parameter id="menuorder" type="text">
    <value>50</value>
    </parameter>

-<parameter id="limituppertags" type="text">
    <value>1</value>
    </parameter>

-<parameter id="customtag1" type="text">
    <value>COMPOSER</value>
    </parameter>

-<parameter id="customtag1artistsort" type="text">
    <value>0</value>
    </parameter>

-<parameter id="customtag1numbersort" type="text">
    <value>0</value>
    </parameter>

-<parameter id="customtag1reversesort" type="text">
    <value>0</value>
    </parameter>

-<parameter id="customtag2" type="text">
    <value>WORK</value>
    </parameter>

-<parameter id="level2name" type="text">
    <value>Works</value>
    </parameter>

-<parameter id="customtag2artistsort" type="text">
    <value>0</value>
    </parameter>

-<parameter id="customtag2numbersort" type="text">
    <value>0</value>
    </parameter>

-<parameter id="customtag2reversesort" type="text">
    <value>0</value>
    </parameter>

-<parameter id="playalltracks" type="text">
    <value>1</value>
    </parameter>

</template>

</custombrowse>
    Last edited by Apesbrain; 2018-06-13 at 17:49.

I wish I could do pretty much the same thing with Compilation albums. Like you, I prefer most things sorted by ARTIST/YEAR/ALBUM, but having compilations sorted in year order is very nearly useless.

I use this:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <custombrowse>
    	<template>
    		<id>customscan_mixedtags</id>
    		<parameter type="text" id="menuname"><value>Composers</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="menugroup"><value>Classical</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="menuorder"><value>50</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="limituppertags"><value>1</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customtag1"><value>COMPOSER</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customtagtype1"><value></value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customsorttag1"><value>COMPOSERSORT</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customtag1artistsort"><value>0</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customtag1numbersort"><value>0</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customtag1reversesort"><value>0</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customtag2"><value>WORK</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customtagtype2"><value></value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="level2name"></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customsorttag2"></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customtag2artistsort"><value>0</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customtag2numbersort"><value>0</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customtag2reversesort"><value>0</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customtag3"><value>RECORDING</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customtagtype3"><value></value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="level3name"></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customsorttag3"></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customtag3artistsort"><value>0</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customtag3numbersort"><value>0</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customtag3reversesort"><value>0</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customtag4"></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customtagtype4"><value></value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="level4name"></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customsorttag4"></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customtag4artistsort"><value>0</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customtag4numbersort"><value>0</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customtag4reversesort"><value>0</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customtag5"></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customtagtype5"><value></value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="level5name"></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customsorttag5"></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customtag5artistsort"><value>0</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customtag5numbersort"><value>0</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customtag5reversesort"><value>0</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="customtracktag"><value>MOVEMENT</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="playalltracks"><value>1</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="library"><value>1</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="activelibrary"><value>0</value></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="includedclients"></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="excludedclients"></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="includedlibraries"></parameter>
    		<parameter type="text" id="excludedlibraries"></parameter>
    	</template>
    </custombrowse>
    Notes:

• I also use Erland's Multi Library.
    • I have a third level "Recording", because for some works I have more than one recording.
    • "<parameter type="text" id="customtracktag"><value>MOVEMENT</value></parameter>" doesn't work the way I hoped it would. (I had hoped it would display the movement tag instead of the title tag when displaying the tracks at the upmost level.)
    Last edited by dolodobendan; 2018-06-18 at 07:28.
    QLMS 7.9.2@1.09b (digimaster) / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4