Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

SqueezeBox restarts/loses network

I have a Slim Devices SqueezeBox v3 that I use with Logitech Media Server. When I play music through my wireless network, the squeezebox "reboots" itself after a few seconds, and forces me to go through the network setup up.

the server logs do not show anything interesting. Is this likely a hardware issue? Not sure I will have the patience for extensive troubleshooting, but willing to give it the college try. Alternatively, looking for input on new version of players that "just work". Sonos is so expensive I would like to avoid that.

Thanks

server.log
    [18-06-09 11:52:14.6561] main::init (353) Starting Logitech Media Server (v7.7.6, 1521467459, Thu Mar 29 16:46:01 WEDT 2018) perl 5.014001

Two likely culprits:

There has been quite a few failed WLAN boards which can cause different symptoms, often reboots. This can be verified by removing the board and testing the unit using wired network. Replacement boards are reportedly available on eBay.

The power supplies are notorious for failing and generally causing reboots. If this is suspected, 3rd party replacements are dirt cheap.

What's a bit different in your case is that you have to go through the setup again. I don't think that's usually the case for the faults mentioned above. Maybe begin with a factory reset (Hold down the '+' key on the remote while pluggin in the power to the unit).

Wow, 17 posts since 2007. I think you have had a good handle on LMS and Squeezebox until this little issue raised its head. I have had great music enjoyment from Slim Devices and a great experience with few problems. My post count would probably be similar to yours if I wasn't always chiming in to try and help users (plus being in every Beta after the Classic).

Is you Classic updated with the most recent firmware? Have you done a hardware reset or a restore to default?

Sonos is still what it has always been, an expensive joke! The quick option would be to be patient and score a Touch on Ebay. If you like projects, you can build a Player cheaply using a Raspberry Pi kit. This allows you to make all the choices as far as quality and output type (analog, digital optical, digital coax) depending on what you want and how much you want to spend. One can even built a Touch Clone with a 7 inch display if you get the RPi touch display (no required just to build a player). And of course you can shop the used Classic market if you just want a direct replacement.

My thought is to make sure what the issue is first IE split the problem in half so you are not troubleshooting so much. As in is it a Network issue or is it the Classic that is the problem. Do you own more then one Squeezebox?
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Thanks for the words of advice.....I have connected the SqueezeBox 3 to the network directly ( wired vs wireless) and have the same symptoms. I have already done the reset/update firmware procedures. I have not opened up the unit. @alfista - I did not remove the WLAN board as you suggest, but it does seem all signs point to the unit itself. Agreed?

I am inclined to buy a whole "new" replacement unit on ebay or through Amazon. Any thoughts on whether it is worth it to "upgrade" to the Squeezebox touch? If i buy the same v3, will my current remote work with the replacement unit ( the ones sold through Amazon often are missing the remote.) Are there non-discontinued third party devices out there that work with LMS?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...8598534&sr=8-1 - v3 units on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=all - Squeezebox touch

THanks again

Quote Originally Posted by jonblauch View Post
    Thanks for the words of advice.....I have connected the SqueezeBox 3 to the network directly ( wired vs wireless) and have the same symptoms. I have already done the reset/update firmware procedures. I have not opened up the unit. @alfista - I did not remove the WLAN board as you suggest, but it does seem all signs point to the unit itself. Agreed?
    I haven't had the problem myself, but as far as I understand the WLAN card problem will cause reboots as long as the card is present in the unit, even if you run wired.
    To me this seems like a hardware problem, internal to the unit or in the external power supply.

I am inclined to buy a whole "new" replacement unit on ebay or through Amazon. Any thoughts on whether it is worth it to "upgrade" to the Squeezebox touch? If i buy the same v3, will my current remote work with the replacement unit ( the ones sold through Amazon often are missing the remote.)
    Your remote will work. For me the v3 is the perfect fit for form factor and function, Touch has some advantages but it's difficult to say if they're worth it without knowing how you use your SB.

The Touch has some nice things like the color screen and the ability to just scroll through menus by touching the display. More choices of how the music that is playing is displayed and what the displayed information is. IMO it has the best DAC other then the Transporter, but the Burr-Brown in the Classic is by no means a slouch (it is better then the DAC in many AV Receivers), plus with the Touch you get native 96K playback like with the Transporter (Classic is native 44.1 & 48 only).

I guess my suggestion would be that if you can afford the used Touch it would be worth the upgrade in my option. Plus the Touch is a newer unit and doesn't have the known WLAN issue plus no worry about when the VFD is going to fade or die because it doesn't have one.

The only advantage I see to getting a second Classic is you are used to it and would have your original for spare parts to make future repairs with. On a side not, I would replace the Power Supply just for good measure if you go the Classic route. It also can be a problem.

I have retired my SB3s (Classic) and am keeping them as spares for they have been replaced with the Touch Squeezeboxes.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

If WLAN card is soruce of the proiblemn - You need to remove the WLAN card to check. Below is a guide.
    http://lowtek.ca/roo/2011/squeezebox-classic-repair/

WLAN card rerplacement can be easily found for about $/ú5.