Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Problem with Pandora and Chromecast

The short version of my story is that Pandora playing to an audio Chromecast dongle will stop playing after a song or two. The controller indicates that the song is still playing (the playing indicator, rather than paused or stopped, is showing) and it is at or near the end of the current song. I am running LMS 7.9.1 on Windows 10. Playing a Pandora station through SqueezeLite or SB player on an Android device seems to work fine.

Longer story: after many, many years my Duet reciever finally gave up the ghost after being quite flakey for several months. I replaced the power supply and wifi board to no avail. I was thrilled when I came back here and found new LMS software and the Chromecast bridge, so that has been the route I have been persuing. Everything works brilliantly except Pandora. I just upgraded my Pandora account to Pandora Plus, but then ran into this problem. It will play one or two songs and then stop playing. If I go press stop and then play again, it will start back up and repeat the behavior. I have tried this using both the Duet hardware and various software controllers.

Has anyone else run into this? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by g.b. View Post
    The short version of my story is that Pandora playing to an audio Chromecast dongle will stop playing after a song or two. The controller indicates that the song is still playing (the playing indicator, rather than paused or stopped, is showing) and it is at or near the end of the current song. I am running LMS 7.9.1 on Windows 10. Playing a Pandora station through SqueezeLite or SB player on an Android device seems to work fine.

Longer story: after many, many years my Duet reciever finally gave up the ghost after being quite flakey for several months. I replaced the power supply and wifi board to no avail. I was thrilled when I came back here and found new LMS software and the Chromecast bridge, so that has been the route I have been persuing. Everything works brilliantly except Pandora. I just upgraded my Pandora account to Pandora Plus, but then ran into this problem. It will play one or two songs and then stop playing. If I go press stop and then play again, it will start back up and repeat the behavior. I have tried this using both the Duet hardware and various software controllers.

Has anyone else run into this? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
    You should probably post in the 3rd party plugin section. But the answer is that probably Pandora suffers from the same problem than Deezer, but just worse: if the player buffers too much, then there is a large gap between audio data request and these $*&!@ streaming services close the connection - I've already reduced that and I'll see if I can further shorten the buffering part, but it's more complicated than it sounds
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    You should probably post in the 3rd party plugin section. But the answer is that probably Pandora suffers from the same problem than Deezer, but just worse: if the player buffers too much, then there is a large gap between audio data request and these $*&!@ streaming services close the connection - I've already reduced that and I'll see if I can further shorten the buffering part, but it's more complicated than it sounds
    Thanks much, phillippe. Let me know if there is anything you would like me to try. I really appreciate the work you are doing; it has breathed new life into the whole LMS ecosystem, as far as I am concerned.