Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks.

It's not that difficult. Just be carefull and take your time. You don't want to burn the plastic. So short sessions with cooling time in between is the trick. Also use plenty of polish. More then one would use when polishing a car so the plastic stays lubricated. If you follow these rules the result should come out nice.

Humpty Dumpty is put back together again!

Name:  20180605_205116.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  173.1 KB

Name:  20180605_205157.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  175.4 KB

So I repaired the speaker by putting a bead of contact glue all around the surround so stress on it would be somewhat equal. It's been playing now since tuesday and so far it holds up just fine. We will see how it holds up in the future but I'm hopefull it will last for quite some time.

I have an Edifier sub connected to it from a S330D PC-speaker set but the output on the Boom is set to "Always On" instead of "Subwoofer". When set to "Subwoofer" low midrange is non existent. So I set it to "Always On", lowered the bass to -8 and compensated by turning up the sub a little more. Now I still have decent low mids and the fragile little speaker doesn't have to work too hard.

Name:  20180605_180332.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  129.3 KB

Name:  20180608_205243.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  84.1 KB

To conclude a picture of it playing in its final location in my hobby room surrounded by two of its older siblings. The one on the right now is a fully operational Grundig Concert Boy N and the left one is a Grundig Europa Boy. Both of them are from the late 60's early 70's. The left one has a broken amplifier. I bought it to repair the one on the right, which had a broken power supply and some missing buttons but as it turns out none of the components are interchangeable. So I took a 5V 2A power supply I had laying around and connected it to the battery leads of the one on the right. This way it still functions. I gave it to my dad for his fathers day. He had one just like it back in the days so he was really happy having a working one again. Still owe him some top buttons though...

Name:  20180609_202231.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  106.8 KB

The Squeezbox Classic that was on this spot before is gonna go outside on the terrace. I have a watertight box to put it in. The speakers will be mounted underneath an overhang. The box with the SB in it will be mounted somewhere under that overhang too. So that's my next little project.

Beautiful work! I like the Grundigs too!
    p.s. My house is full of Squeezebox players and antique radios too. My two favorites, a Zenith Transoceanic Radio (brown leather) and a Hallicrafters SX101 MkII (a beast at 70lbs!).
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerstyle View Post
    Humpty Dumpty is put back together again!

Name:  20180605_205116.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  173.1 KB

The Squeezbox Classic that was on this spot before is gonna go outside on the terrace. I have a watertight box to put it in. The speakers will be mounted underneath an overhang. The box with the SB in it will be mounted somewhere under that overhang too. So that's my next little project.
    Hey I didn't see an EBAY ad for any old stock NIB Booms! You must have bought that using Buy It Now the second it posted!

All kidding aside, nice job on the restoration. I bought a used Boom several months ago that was in fairly good shape. I used some NuFinish on the case (not the display) to shine it up some and remove light scratches and scuffs. Mine doesn't look as good as your restored one, but mine also isn't going to be sitting in the house as mine will get moved around often so I didn't want to put too much time into it when it is going to be acquiring more dings and scratches from me.

Again great job on bringing that Boom back!
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Thanks guys!

@garym: I'm not really a collector of these old radios though but I like tinkering with stuff. I just happened to stumble on to the one on the right by accident. It was sitting right next to garbage container at work. I recognized it as it was the same model my dad used to have so I took it home with the intention to give it to my dad. I'm happy they didn't throw it in the dumpster. Then it would be ruined.

As I said, the left one I bought to repair the other one but none of the parts fit in it. It still works. It has very good reception and is in good cosmetic condition. It just crackles when playing. I'm pretty sure it's the amplifier. I kinda like it however so there is a chance I'm gonna look for the schematics, try fixing it and give it a spot in my house.

@iPhone: You're right. Just polishing it by hand with some car polish allready can make it look a lot better. Mine also has some scratches left but it's presentable now. I now can show it to people without being embarrassed. This wasn't the case before I revived it. I'm happy with the way it turned out.

removing the cover

Nicely done.

I need to replace the foam speaker mounts on my Logitech Squeezebox Boom - and I can't figure out how to remove the front panel. Please - if you can say how you did it / tools / etc. that would be most helpful. I found a video online several months ago - it was a complete walk-through - but I can't find the bookmark for that site.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gmachine_24 View Post
    Nicely done.

I need to replace the foam speaker mounts on my Logitech Squeezebox Boom - and I can't figure out how to remove the front panel. Please - if you can say how you did it / tools / etc. that would be most helpful. I found a video online several months ago - it was a complete walk-through - but I can't find the bookmark for that site.

Thanks.
    I followed these instructions by pbroughton, no problem

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post727193
    Server - LMS 7.9.2 Pi4B 4GB/pCP 6.0.0-b6 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi