Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Will not start on OpenSUSE Leap 15

The latest nightly will not start on Leap 15.
    Code:
    May 26 14:41:37 jardell systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Startup script for the Logitech Media Server...
    May 26 14:41:37 jardell systemd[1]: squeezeboxserver.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
    May 26 14:41:37 jardell systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Startup script for the Logitech Media Server.
    May 26 14:41:37 jardell systemd[1]: squeezeboxserver.service: Unit entered failed state.
    May 26 14:41:37 jardell systemd[1]: squeezeboxserver.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Systemd says that LSB failed.

I downloaded the source code from github and tried compiling it myself, but this failed too:
    Code:
    cd /home/jar/Downloads/squeezeboxserver/slimserver-vendor-public-7.9/CPAN/build/lib64/icu/58.2/..; \
        rm -f current && ln -s 58.2 current; \
        rm -f Makefile.inc && ln -s current/Makefile.inc Makefile.inc; \
        rm -f pkgdata.inc && ln -s current/pkgdata.inc pkgdata.inc
    /bin/sh ./mkinstalldirs /home/jar/Downloads/squeezeboxserver/slimserver-vendor-public-7.9/CPAN/build/share/man/man1
    /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 config/icu-config.1 /home/jar/Downloads/squeezeboxserver/slimserver-vendor-public-7.9/CPAN/build/share/man/man1
    ./buildme.sh: line 691: cd: build/lib: No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat 'icudt58*.dat': No such file or directory
    tar zxf DBD-SQLite-1.34_01.tar.gz
    tar (child): DBD-SQLite-1.34_01.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    cannot find source code archive DBD-SQLite-1.34_01.tar.gz

Any ideas?
    Last edited by jarome; 2018-05-26 at 12:45.

Fixed one error but...

The lines 690,691 of buildme.sh need to be changed as follows:
    Code:
    # Symlink static versions of libraries (changed to lib64)
    cd build/lib64
    but now I get stuck at
    Code:
    cc -c  -I. -I/home/jar/Downloads/squeezeboxserver/slimserver-vendor-public-7.9/CPAN/build/5.26/lib/perl5/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/auto/DBI -I../build/include -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DPERL_USE_SAFE_PUTENV -fwrapv -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fstack-protector-strong -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O2   -DVERSION=\"1.34_01\" -DXS_VERSION=\"1.34_01\" -fPIC "-I/usr/lib/perl5/5.26.1/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/CORE"  -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3 -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3_PARENTHESIS -DSQLITE_ENABLE_RTREE -DSQLITE_ENABLE_COLUMN_METADATA -DSQLITE_ENABLE_ICU -DNDEBUG=1 -DHAVE_USLEEP=1 dbdimp.c
    cc -c  -I. -I/home/jar/Downloads/squeezeboxserver/slimserver-vendor-public-7.9/CPAN/build/5.26/lib/perl5/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/auto/DBI -I../build/include -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DPERL_USE_SAFE_PUTENV -fwrapv -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fstack-protector-strong -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O2   -DVERSION=\"1.34_01\" -DXS_VERSION=\"1.34_01\" -fPIC "-I/usr/lib/perl5/5.26.1/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/CORE"  -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3 -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3_PARENTHESIS -DSQLITE_ENABLE_RTREE -DSQLITE_ENABLE_COLUMN_METADATA -DSQLITE_ENABLE_ICU -DNDEBUG=1 -DHAVE_USLEEP=1 sqlite3.c
    make: *** No rule to make target '../build/lib/libicuuc.a', needed by 'blib/arch/auto/DBD/SQLite/SQLite.so'.  Stop.
    make test failed, aborting
    The way to do this is to make a symbolic link from build/lib64 to build/lib. Then it builds. But where is squeezeboxserver, and where do I install it in the system?
    Last edited by jarome; 2018-05-26 at 14:13.

Duh. The startup script has been modified...

/etc/init.d/squeezeboxserver now contains
    Code:
    elif [ -f /etc/SuSE-release ] ; then
    But the install process fails to make this file.
    I did
    Code:
    touch etc/SuSE-release
    and it started.

Help with OpenSuse Leap 15.0

Quote Originally Posted by jarome View Post
    /etc/init.d/squeezeboxserver now contains
    Code:
    elif [ -f /etc/SuSE-release ] ; then
    But the install process fails to make this file.
    I did
    Code:
    touch etc/SuSE-release
    and it started.
    Jarome: Can you please provide some guidance on the steps you took to install the logitech mediaserver in Leap 15.0?

Do you use Yast to install or do you download it? I am a longtime gentoo user and I just transitioned to Leap 15.0 today.

Thanks!

It is simple

Download the rpm: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nig...596.noarch.rpm

Install the rpm as root: rpm -ivh logitechmediaserver-7.9.2-0.1.1527861596.noarch.rpm

As root: touch etc/SuSE-release

You also need to open ports in the firewall (which seems to be off by default). Use yast2

As root: yast2 &

Turn on the firewall's public zone (the default) ands open ports 9000 and 3483 for tcp and (I think) UDP

point your browser to http://localhost:9000 and follow the instructions.

Congrats on picking the best, easiest to administer Linux distro.

Thank you!!!

Thank you! That worked.
    It didn't work the first time, not sure why.
    It worked after I re-installed and restarted.
    BTW, managing Gentoo became a hairball because of Squeezebox and Perl incompatibility. After wasting countless hours I finally gave up and went with Leap with my new build.

OpenSUSE 15.0 with LMS 7.9.0_final

I made a package for OpenSUSE 15.0, but only with LMS 7.9.0_final. Maybe that is helpful.

Please see https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...echmediaserver

The Squeezebox rpm seems to work well, and can be updated

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    I made a package for OpenSUSE 15.0, but only with LMS 7.9.0_final. Maybe that is helpful.

Please see https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...echmediaserver
    The only trick thing is that the LMS changed its startup script to rely upon the file in /etc. Once I realized this, it installed and ran easily.